• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

Distress flares are too bright for watching! Better to look for something intended for use in the entertainment industry. Small gerbs are available trade.

I agree. 15,000 candela is a bit harsh on the old retina. Have you ever tried wire wool? You can make it last long enough for what you want and it's very dramatic when done properly. A lot of fire spinners use a wire mesh cage to stuff the wool in and then dip it in paraffin. Experiment with different grades of wool from fine to medium. Coarse is a wast of time on it's own but mixed up with some fine it will burn but, it throws globules of molten iron unlike the finer particles of higher grades. Try it first without mesh cage. I tend to think the cage inhibits the effect a bit but in some cases it's favored for reducing the burn rate. How much you compact the wool will determine the burn rate too. Left airy and fluffy and you get a short lived but spectacular show. Compact will give a slower, more controllable effect. The best part is you can ignight the stuff with a small square 9v battery.
Stay away from Brillo Pads though!

Here are some vids I made using one poi chain:

And one of a guy using the cage and paraffin method:

#17 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

I do staff and certainly wouldn't want a distress flare smacking me in the face... flaming parrafin is fine once in a while, but those big flares burn HOT HOT HOT!

There are some cold(ish) coloured lances which would probably be much more suited to having in close-prox.

Wire wool is cool - check the following link for some photos:
http://www.flickr.co...est/3828177845/

#18 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

I do staff and certainly wouldn't want a distress flare smacking me in the face... flaming parrafin is fine once in a while, but those big flares burn HOT HOT HOT!

There are some cold(ish) coloured lances which would probably be much more suited to having in close-prox.

Wire wool is cool - check the following link for some photos:
http://www.flickr.co...est/3828177845/

Amazing and impressive photographs there my friend. I see you are also using alcohol and colouring agents in those pics. Amazing use of open shutter speed. You should be making money from your pics.

#19 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Should've really stated that those photos are not mine :rolleyes:

Also, what may look like coloured alcohol in those pics is actually achieved by using cold cathode tubes, LEDs, and electroluminescent wire!

I do have a few staff shots online here, but nothing quite as impressive as TCB's wares...

#20 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

Should've really stated that those photos are not mine Posted Image

Also, what may look like coloured alcohol in those pics is actually achieved by using cold cathode tubes, LEDs, and electroluminescent wire!

I do have a few staff shots online here, but nothing quite as impressive as TCB's wares...
http://www.flickr.co...57600120137781/

ahh bum. Impressive nonetheless.

#21 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

Why don't you try ice fountains? They are cheap, have cool fallout and you can use a length of visco to light a 2nd one on each end of the staff. I think they are about a fiver for a pack of 5. You would need to do a test run first as they are NC based and the comp may fly from the tube. But at a fiver, it's a cheap test. I have seen references that they burn for about 45 secs each.

You can buy 144 of them for 65 quid here.

http://www.greatnort...t=Ice Fountains

Edited by Mortartube, 20 August 2009 - 12:18 AM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#22 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Ice fountains = good idea!

The comp is pressed/rammed in ice fountains so no fear of it coming out when spinning on the end of your staff.

#23 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Must put that in my diary. Someone said I had a good idea. Lol.

Although ice fountains are rammed, some I have seen have used small NC prills, which won't consolidate as well a meal powder, so I would still give them a test before using them live as it were.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#24 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

you can solidify them by diluting recorcinol resin with acetone add catylist and drip about 5ml of resorcinol 10% solution into each only do this with visco fuse fired tubes if you do it to an electrically ignited device it forms a dangerous mine as the solidified charge is ignited in its centre and cofined on all sides by resin
protodezine@gmail.com

#25 pyroduck7

pyroduck7

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Looks cool - unfortunately I've never seen road flares on sale in the uk.
But I'm going to hit google and start looking anyway as they might just be a useful source of cheap simple fountains.
Fountains that burn for longer than 5 seconds seem to be in short supply in my local fireworks shop (but he can sell me a load of nice roman candles that fire stars out - though I think my fellow performers and audience may get a bit upset if I used them !)

i found somewhhare that sells red road flares for 15m long ones there £7 google xtremesurvival.co.uk or something like that. although thwere 15m long you can always put themout and thenmake a igniction comp to light themaggain, as par as iknow there strontium nitrate / woot chippings / sulphur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users