Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

The second one has Phiko KP#1 blue

;)

Nice mines portfire! How were those salutes fused?

#17 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

;)

Nice mines portfire! How were those salutes fused?

Thanx guys.They were fused with visco cut at 45 degrees then primed with BP slurry.In the original video you can see the visco burning but no report so i'm not sure why they failed :unsure:

Heres the formula for those blues chris m

Potassium perchlorate 63
Black copper oxide 13
Parlon 14
red gum 10

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

Although saturday nights rocket test was a let down,this put a smile on my face.My mate liked it aswel :lol:

http://video.google....186308336928863

Posted Image

48g of chrys#6 round stars and 15g of 10-20 mesh lift.I used the 1/4 of the stars weight rule of thumb +3g.The lift was willow B.P milled for 1-1/2 hr. :P

I don't have any build pics on this one but,i have some on a mine i made a couple of month ago with B.P salutes,if anyone is interested ?

dean

#19 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Cool mine, keep up the good work. Also, please post pics of your BP salute mine, I'd like to see it.

PGF

#20 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

Thanx PGF,it's the first time i'v had a 'keep up the good work' :lol: .I really do love making these,quite simple and REALLY effective.

Although i don't have the vid (video camera let me down :angry: ) here are the build pics

The case or "bag" . Three turns of medium kraft (dry rolled),tied off with clove-hitch knot.
Posted Image

Lift bag and leader....16g lumpwood B.P
Posted Image

B.P salutes.The salute cases were 10mmID.The Base was 5mm rammed kitty litter.I drilled(they were not charge) the hole,inserted the fuse then sealed with PVA.The top was sealed with a paper end-plug then,hot melt glue and finished off with kraft.
Posted Image Posted Image

Loaded B.P salutes
Posted Image

All done...Yes! the labels tooo big
Posted Image

I'll add that this mine had D1 stars in there aswel.I found that if you mill the KNO3/C/S for 15min the screen in the rest,it effects the tail but,unlike the usual D1 tail,you get a bright gold glittering tail.

dean

Edited by portfire, 16 October 2007 - 06:26 PM.

#21 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Nice work on that mine. I have a lot of leftover stars of different sizes, maybe I should try one of those. Seems like a easy and well worth build.
By the way, is that a pro QM you are using there? It looks so to me, if not please tell me how you rolled that perfect QM tube!

And I have an idea with the salutes: If you used PVA-glue around the fuse, it might happen that the water in the glue got into the fuse itself and acted as a flame barrier.
That might explain why you saw the burning fuse but no bang...
Try using hotmelt glue or a fast setting 2-comp. glue.
Of course BEFORE you fill the salute...

#22 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Nice work on that mine. I have a lot of leftover stars of different sizes, maybe I should try one of those. Seems like a easy and well worth build.
By the way, is that a pro QM you are using there? It looks so to me, if not please tell me how you rolled that perfect QM tube!

And I have an idea with the salutes: If you used PVA-glue around the fuse, it might happen that the water in the glue got into the fuse itself and acted as a flame barrier.
That might explain why you saw the burning fuse but no bang...
Try using hotmelt glue or a fast setting 2-comp. glue.
Of course BEFORE you fill the salute...

Thanx aquarius.Yes there a good way of using up "old" stars plus,they look great..

The QM pipe is hand rolled.All i do is wind a 65mm strip of kraft around a 1m long 1/4" dowel,at a 30 degree angle,and only glueing at the start and end.You can run glue down one edge but,this is not really needed.Its a really quick&easy way of rolling match pipe.

With regards to the salutes.The ones in the pic all fired.I had previously made another mine with nitrate flash salutes and only 2 fired.The visco is waterproof so,i don't think that water in the PVA was the problem.

Here's the vid with KNO3 flash.
http://video.google....196069371251275

The only reason i can think of as to why they failed,was that the fuse only came into the tube about 3mm and as such,not generating enough heat to ignite the flash,or am i wrong in thinking that?.On the B.P salutes the fuse came through 10mm but,as i was using B.P they would have fired anyway (obviously).

dean

Edited by portfire, 17 October 2007 - 10:15 AM.

#23 Debunk

Debunk

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Yep them blues are really cool, nice work, going to try that formula out, got some leftover black copper oxide, parlon and red gum just waiting on some more potassium perchlorate, has anyone else ordered from Inoxia recently? Just ordered some potassium perchlorate on wed, first time I've ordered from them, was a dear do for postage so was expecting a quick delivery, have checked my order today and it still says 'just in' hasn't even been sent yet, tried phone no answer and emailed but no reply. :angry:

#24 leosedf

leosedf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Don't know if it belong here but here is a 2 inch mine i tried which was cool.

I made 3 more but 2 of them just blew up ( i used a lot of BP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users