Lifesaver

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

A little story for you guys.. I don't really post here anymore, and this probably isn't appropriate, but I thought id share it with you anyway.

My family and I were sitting down to dinner and had just finished a nice big platter of pork chops, not that healthy, and maybe lethal, as my brother started to complain of chest pains. Looking up the symptoms on the wikipedia, it looked increasingly like a heart attack, and the wiki reccomended a vasodilator, such as Glyceryl Trinitrate. Anybody recognise that? Having a synthesis for 'nitro, i ran out to my makeshift lab and made a few mg in a salt-ice bath, and administered it orally, and the paramedics (when they got there, half an hour - record time! well done guys!) said it saved his life. Anyway, im sure you'll ban me even for the mention, but knowledge is power, huh guys?

Thanks for having me and welcoming me and teaching me - I know for sure you've saved my life a few times - And goodbye!

Edited by PyromaniaMan, 18 April 2006 - 08:10 PM.

#2 littlejohny

littlejohny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

So correct me if I am wrong you made Nitro Glycerine to save your brothers life :o

I'm lost, so your brother started to have a heart attack, you looked it up on the net, it told you to go and make some "nitro" and made him eat it? :huh: anyway well done for saving his life how old was he.

guess you can't answer my question now that you left?

Edited by littlejohny, 17 April 2006 - 01:02 PM.

#3 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

So correct me if I am wrong you made Nitro Glycerine to save your brothers life :o

Yeah, thats about the size of it, but I DO NOT encourage or condone the making of any such chemical - for any reason, it is incredibly dangerous and not something to do ever! - but my brother is pretty damned thankful. And I just know that im going to get banned anyway so it's only a matter of time.

[EDIT] he is 25.

Edited by PyromaniaMan, 17 April 2006 - 01:26 PM.

#4 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

maybe not the smartest thing to do.. but.. well, it worked so.. well done! i think is a good thing to say.
and then, people with heart problems is often given pills which contains nitro glycerine. my fathers mother (don't know what it is called..) eat them.

and if it just was a few mg then I guess it wasn?t dangerous even if it wasn?t that.

anyway. great that your brother is ok now!
Pyrotechnics, the art of fire!

#5 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

Is this a joke?

#6 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

Yeah, thats about the size of it, but I DO NOT encourage or condone the making of any such chemical - for any reason, it is incredibly dangerous and not something to do ever! - but my brother is pretty damned thankful. And I just know that im going to get banned anyway so it's only a matter of time.

[EDIT] he is 25.

if you are not encourage the making of such chemicals, why did you have HNO3 and H2SO4 fairly concentrated around? I'm assuming that's how you made it. I can't really think of a use for them except HE's. (I know there are other uses, but not many for individuals.)

#7 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hi, I am not the guy who started the topic (I am the guy who he passed on his account to) just wanted to clear that up :)
How can nitro glycerin be a medicine?
Regards

#8 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

I'm no doctor, but I think it makes the heart convulse (move alot). This could start it beating again. I believe it breaks down into Nitrogen Oxides, which do the stuff.

Here's a wiki on the medical usages, and how it works. Good luck understanding it all. http://en.wikipedia......pharmacology)

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

I know this is pointless now... (but maybe the 'current' you can answer) - did you think you were going to get banned, so you 'passed on your account'? I'm not sure such practices are allowable on the forum.

It's an interesting story to hear, and yes, regarding the medicinal properties of nitroglycerine - Alfred Nobel himself took NG for his heart problems.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:17 AM

Is this a joke?

No it really is not. They used to make snooker balls out of Nitro Cellulose, they exploded occasionally, but it was the only plastic at the time that was any good. NC has hundreds of applications these days; in fact a form of nitrated cellulose is used to make a sustainable clear plastic for sandwich packaging. NG is used for a variety of purposes, less than NC because it is not as useful, its medicinal benefits are well documented.

Is it really that difficult to accept that there are other uses for just about every thing. Ricin, nasty poison yeah, well that is used in medicine as well, all poisons are drugs, all drugs when dosed correctly provide a form of treatment.

Edited by Andrew, 18 April 2006 - 10:50 AM.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

if you are not encourage the making of such chemicals, why did you have HNO3 and H2SO4 fairly concentrated around? I'm assuming that's how you made it. I can't really think of a use for them except HE's. (I know there are other uses, but not many for individuals.)

Many people keep nitric acid to make Barium Nitrate for its carbonate, just one example of the millions of uses. If you are going to store acids it makes sense to store them concentrated. Why keep 32 litres of 0.5M Nitric acid when you only need 1L of conc. Its ludicrous to store large amounts dilute strong acids, it is far far safer to store small amounts of concentrated acids.

If making nitro glycerine an oil would form on the surface, carefully extracted it is easily made safe, not that 0.1g is unsafe in the first place. To make it non-explosive one could simply dilute it with glycerine itself. There are no real safety concerns that are not easy to address when making an incredibly small amount.

EDIT:> In fact NG is used by almost every person at risk from heart attacks, it is in every angina spray which is administered by the patient themselves under the tounge, if they suspect the onset of a heart attack. NG really is a real drug and it saves thousands of lives every day. If you are having a heart attack NG IS THE DRUG TO USE. PyromaniaMan did the right thing, who cares that it happens to be an high explosive, think of it as a side effect of the consentrated drug, not the explosive having a use as a drug. Drug is its priamary application, explosive is a bonus, these days it is not the other way round.<:EDIT

Anyway, upon reflection, there are many applications which require having acids, and glycerine for that matter. If some one has the nod to safe a live, three cheers. Could not really care less how it was achieved. Personally I think first aid courses should be taught in schools to all children, people die of heart attacks in the street every day and people just stand around and suck their thumbs because they have not got a clue; usually they are so arrogant they just walk past a dying person.

It is this sort of ignorance and prejudice that gives amateur rocketry and pyrotechnics a perceived bad name. We should be educating against this, not joining the masses and partaking in damning criticism. I’m sure you did not mean to come across as so cynical, but just a little propaganda can breed a whole race of ignorant and prejudiced people.

We already live in a society of ignorant, arrogant and prejudiced extremists, extremists of all kinds. I’m not talking about terrorists; I’m talking about the extremists we tolerate, like animal rights activists, the NCFS, the list goes on and on. These people stuck in their ways and unwilling to accept others for who they are and what they do, is a sad microcosm of the UK today. No one these days even wants to sit down explore different views. If there were more philosophy students the world would be a better place. We need to at least try to educate, not ignore things that are there. The largest problem is the government runs us into the ground, on one has the time the sit down and think these days, but that is another debate all together.

EDIT:>If we gave in to the ignorant chants of the extremists (the likes of the NCFS) the government would ban angina strays because they could be used to make b*mbs, they would sign a million death warrants in doing so. We really need to be in the know before we can go and criticise anyone. The fact that NC is THE drug for angina should have been at the front of everyone’s mind before they decided to mock.

Only in the presence of omniscience, can one truly criticise. <:EDIT

Edited by Andrew, 18 April 2006 - 11:21 AM.

#12 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:17 PM

Many people keep nitric acid to make Barium Nitrate for its carbonate, just one example of the millions of uses. If you are going to store acids it makes sense to store them concentrated. Why keep 32 litres of 0.5M Nitric acid when you only need 1L of conc. Its ludicrous to store large amounts dilute strong acids, it is far far safer to store small amounts of concentrated acids.

I did not say that he should have kept 0.5M nitric acid. H2SO4 is used at 98% concentration for nitroglycerin I believe. HNO3 can be 60%+. For say, making Ba(NO3)2, 30% HNO3 could easily be used. 60% could even react too quickly.

If making nitro glycerine an oil would form on the surface, carefully extracted it is easily made safe, not that 0.1g is unsafe in the first place. To make it non-explosive one could simply dilute it with glycerine itself. There are no real safety concerns that are not easy to address when making an incredibly small amount.

I never said anything about the safety.

EDIT:> In fact NG is used by almost every person at risk from heart attacks, it is in every angina spray which is administered by the patient themselves under the tounge, if they suspect the onset of a heart attack. NG really is a real drug and it saves thousands of lives every day. If you are having a heart attack NG IS THE DRUG TO USE. PyromaniaMan did the right thing, who cares that it happens to be an high explosive, think of it as a side effect of the consentrated drug, not the explosive having a use as a drug. Drug is its priamary application, explosive is a bonus, these days it is not the other way round.<:EDIT

I believe it is used in patches as a preventative as well. I'm not denying it has saved lives.

Anyway, upon reflection, there are many applications which require having acids, and glycerine for that matter. If some one has the nod to safe a live, three cheers. Could not really care less how it was achieved. Personally I think first aid courses should be taught in schools to all children, people die of heart attacks in the street every day and people just stand around and suck their thumbs because they have not got a clue; usually they are so arrogant they just walk past a dying person.

I do not know anyone who walks past dying people. (Unless there's a risk to their own life). I have been taught first aid in school. I have also learned some out of school.

It is this sort of ignorance and prejudice that gives amateur rocketry and pyrotechnics a perceived bad name. We should be educating against this, not joining the masses and partaking in damning criticism. I?m sure you did not mean to come across as so cynical, but just a little propaganda can breed a whole race of ignorant and prejudiced people.

Yes, I did not intend to be cynical.

We already live in a society of ignorant, arrogant and prejudiced extremists, extremists of all kinds. I?m not talking about terrorists; I?m talking about the extremists we tolerate, like animal rights activists, the NCFS, the list goes on and on. These people stuck in their ways and unwilling to accept others for who they are and what they do, is a sad microcosm of the UK today. No one these days even wants to sit down explore different views. If there were more philosophy students the world would be a better place. We need to at least try to educate, not ignore things that are there. The largest problem is the government runs us into the ground, on one has the time the sit down and think these days, but that is another debate all together.

In my opinion, some animal rights activists are terrorists. I agree with you.

EDIT:>If we gave in to the ignorant chants of the extremists (the likes of the NCFS) the government would ban angina strays because they could be used to make b*mbs, they would sign a million death warrants in doing so. We really need to be in the know before we can go and criticise anyone. The fact that NC is THE drug for angina should have been at the front of everyone?s mind before they decided to mock.

I'm sure the NCFS can find reasons to ban alot of things. I'll pick something. A guitar.

[sarcasm]
1st "reason". Some guitars are sprayed with NC lacquer to make them shiny.
2nd "reason". Ahh! NC is used to fire bullets! It's an explosive! It's killed people! It's used in fireworks!

Ban Guitars! [/sarcasm]

Only in the presence of omniscience, can one truly criticise. <:EDIT

Yawns! That was a long post.

#13 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

I didn't have HNO3, I had a cold pack in the first aid kit and a pyrex beaker, thermometer and H2SO4- I don't have HNO3 stored ANYWHERE. But this is not the place to discuss this! It's off topic!

And edit for alany - soon as i get the local paper and scan it in - i said it was tablets we had from ages ago. I wasn't going to tell authorities in uniform what i made.

Edited by PyromaniaMan, 18 April 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#14 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

Are we really expected to believe he prepared GTN while waiting for the ambulance to arrive? Fed it to a persion in cardiac distress? All this after researching it online. Neutralised? Dose control? Sorry, I'd like to see some documentation please! That kind of event would either get you written up in the paper as a hero, or thrown in jail, perhaps both, one shortly after the other.

#15 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

I didn't have HNO3, I had a cold pack in the first aid kit and a pyrex beaker, thermometer and H2SO4- I don't have HNO3 stored ANYWHERE. But this is not the place to discuss this! It's off topic!

And edit for alany - soon as i get the local paper and scan it in - i said it was tablets we had from ages ago. I wasn't going to tell authorities in uniform what i made.

So you didn't neutralise it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users