• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amego

amego

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

How can I make sounding boom "in plastic or metal container" using Magnesium powder??!

#2 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

How can I make sounding boom "in plastic or metal container" using Magnesium powder??!

Not sure I understand. Do you mean how do you make a maroon / salute? If so you will need other chemicals besides magnesium powder, and making anything using a metal container is a very bad idea, it can cause flying shrapnel, especially in salutes. Plastic isn't used much either. Use a cardboard tube and something like flash or BP with good strong end caps, and a long fuse, and read the rest of the forum if you don't understand something I have said.

Also remember that making salutes in the UK and US is illegal, and wherever you do it be careful!
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

Yes.. exactly right

If you are going to put it in a metal container... I would not tell you the formula!

If you are aiming to make a destructive device, then don't bother. This is not the place for those sorts of things.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#4 amego

amego

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:34 AM

Okay, I like to know the idea in sounding boom is it the composition or the design of container, I do not like making it but how can I made high sounding boom without hurt me or any one near me.
What is the best composition for it? and what about sodium bromate?

#5 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

The casing and the composition are both equally important. Better casings allow slower compositions to be used and still achieve a good report. Salutes are typically made with flash powders in a paper casing. Black powder and similar composition can be used if the container is strongly made of thick paper and perhaps spiked with twine.

The fuse is critical, and must be a reliable type (preferbably commercial canon fuse), and of sufficient length to allow the firer to retire to a safe distance.

Sodium Bromate is similar to Sodium Chlorate, it is somewhat more toxic and powerfully reactive with many chemicals. You shouldn't attempt to use it to make a salute composition.

I would recommend you start with BP in palomas if you must make salutes. Personally I believe there are far more interesting and challenging devices to attempt than salutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users