56 replies to this topic

#31 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:38 PM

This is going to sound very dumb, I know, but anyway...

Someone emailed me asking for the suppliers I mentioned a couple of posts up (which I expected). I read the email, and deleted it, planning to PM them back, but got sidetracked reading new posts. When I came to reply I had forgotten who sent the email. :wacko: Sorry, whoever you were, please PM me and I'll be happy to help.

#32 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

In germany it isn? t that hard to get very fine but pure (99,6%) potassium nitrate. 25Kg of that nitrate costs 38 euro incl shipping.

It?s sold as fertilizer.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#33 Megalomania

Megalomania

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

On the topic of KNO3, what is the most amount of money you are willing to pay for 500g?
Ps Im new to the forums so hello everybody :D

#34 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:50 PM

On the topic of KNO3, what is the most amount of money you are willing to pay for 500g?

Around ?2.

#35 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:23 AM

i just paid 13.50 for 500 grams of kno3 and 100 grams of sulphur. That included postage. I can't find garden direct anywhere.

#36 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:12 AM

Never had any trouble with garden direct, bought 25Kg of Potassium Nitrate from them last year for about ?30 - took about 2 weeks to come...

They don't have a website - I got a copy of their catalogue and used 'snail mail'

40 Hillgrove Business Park

Nazeing Essex EN9 2BB

Phone 01992-890770 Fax 01992-890660

Edited by phildunford, 18 April 2004 - 09:15 AM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#37 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

There are about 5 people on ebay falling over themselves to sell kno3, most of it is from garden direct, and if you take your time there is some going well below cost. The other day i saw 500g end with a starting bid of 50p with no one bidding.

Steve
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#38 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

Yea it?s the same in germany... They buy it from the same place tthan I and resell it for much much more than it?s real price.
There you can buy a kilo KNO3 for prices up to 15 euro and more

But with a litte searching you always find a place where you can find it cheaper....

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#39 thewildething

thewildething

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:47 PM

I have just found this stuff called 'root-out' at the garden centre, it is for killing tree stumps etc. Has anyone ever found out if this is KNO3 because it does not have 'ingredients' on the box, surprisingly. What it does say is that it hydrolises in the soil to form NH4 and releases nitrogen, which I can understand (but it doesnt say anything about potassium), does KNO3 do this??, also I have some dusting sulphur but its green! will this impurity (whatever it is) affect the bp??
Thanks

Marcus.
"Surf by day, set off so much pyro through the night that it seems like daylight, then go surfing again"

#40 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:48 PM

I have just found this stuff called 'root-out' at the garden centre, it is for killing tree stumps etc. Has anyone ever found out if this is KNO3 because it does not have 'ingredients' on the box, surprisingly. What it does say is that it hydrolises in the soil to form NH4 and releases nitrogen, which I can understand (but it doesnt say anything about potassium), does KNO3 do this??, also I have some dusting sulphur but its green! will this impurity (whatever it is) affect the bp??
Thanks

Marcus.

'Root out' products are always one oxidiser or another, w/ potassium nitrate being the most common I believe, but it may have other chemicals as well.
I checked 3 and found two were 99% and 100%.
The third was sodium metabisulfite 90%, sulfur 10%

Even if the label doesn't list ingredients per se, it should at least have a code for it's hazmat content, In the States it's called a Material Data Safety Sheet, or MSDS.

for example, the Material Data Safety Sheet for one stump remover lists:

Potassium nitrate 7757-79-1 99%

I checked 3 and found two were 99% and 100%.

The third was sodium metabisulfite 90% ? <_< , sulfur 10%

Sorry, searching for 'root-out' gets me references to evil and terrorists.

so you should be able to find reasonble purity.

I assume MSDS has an equivilent there.

As for green sulfur, I'd keep shopping.
It likely has chemical wetting agents in addition to some bentonite (for spreadablity I think) mixed in to the tune of 10%.

I use dusting sulfur that I know is 92% with 8% bentonite (but it isn't green?) for non critical things like increasing ignitablity of sugar-based rocket fuels, smoke etc.
BP is an art and a science, and practicing art with contaminated science will affect your art, and not for the better.
My BP improved considerably when I got some 99%+ sulfur.
I am not saying agriculturial sulfur won't work, mine did OK, but green :unsure: ? I havn't a guess what they may have added there.
-Chim-Chim

It's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this place up.
-Homer Simpson

#41 ash

ash

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:21 PM

Chim-Chim to satisfy your curiosity Sodium Metabisulphite is Na2S2O5

Its the disodium salt of the metabisulphite anion ( [S2O5]2-)

Its uses arent all that interesting, its a food additive among other things, its used as a source of Sulphur Dioxide.

Edited by ash, 04 May 2004 - 11:24 PM.

#42 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:24 PM

Chim-Chim to satisfy your curiosity Sodium Metabisulphite is Na2S2O5

Its the disodium salt of the bisulphite anion ( [S2O5]2-)

Its uses arent all that interesting, its a food additive among other things, its used as a source of Sulphur Dioxide.

Thanks Ash, I'm always curious.
I figured it wouldn't make a very good BP, just pointing out that not all stump removers contain any KNO3.
-Chim-Chim

It's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this place up.
-Homer Simpson

#43 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Ash, I'm always curious.
I figured it wouldn't make a very good BP, just pointing out that not all stump removers contain any KNO3.

I make Wine, and Sodium Bisulphite is one of my most used chems, aside from fine Swedish Perc of Course....... :o

Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#44 jcow

jcow

master of disturbing neighbours

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

one question....

is the KNO3 from garden direct pure? becuase i bought 6kg of sodium nitrate in granular form. disapointing. im think the nitrate has a fire retardant (not entirely sure, becuase this is my first nitrate. i am another 15 year old who used to be a master of chlorate and sugar). it burns slow and leaves white residue. hopefully i will invest in some kno3 soon, but the NaNO3 has miffed me off. :angry:

#45 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

one question....

is the KNO3 from garden direct pure? becuase i bought 6kg of sodium nitrate in granular form. disapointing. im think the nitrate has a fire retardant (not entirely sure, becuase this is my first nitrate. i am another 15 year old who used to be a master of chlorate and sugar). it burns slow and leaves white residue. hopefully i will invest in some kno3 soon, but the NaNO3 has miffed me off. :angry:

The Potassium Nitrate from Garden Direct is certainly pure enough for pyrotechnics, I myself have been using it since I first go into pyro and it works perfectly well in anything (e.g. Lift) without leaving any residue.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users