17 replies to this topic

#16 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

I'm guessing adamw (who knows his stuff) is shuddering because this guy is trying some fairly risky stuff. mains voltage is not good at all for e-matches. A) It's dangerous
B) It'll cost more as you'll need thicker wires (which you already have)

Don't build a resistor into the circuit (unless you make a test no-fire circuit) as you want all the volts to be dropped on your magnesium powder, so that it heats up fast. Don't use mains unless you want to die. Seriously, just don't. What I use is a car battery charger, it can do 6 or 12V, enough for e-matches, and it can put out about 10A max.
This cost me about ?15 at argos.

For something to use instead of magnesium, get some steel wool, thick or thin, it doesn't matter. With a 9V battery, steel wool must be teased out, but with my charger, the bunch of steel wool instantly glows orange and ignites. You could set up it like this.

+V supply-------steel wool-----0V

On top of the steel wool you could sprinkle blackpowder, kno3/charcoal, or anything reasonable easy to light (generally stuff without metal powders). You could make it a bit more complicated by fitting it in a tube, but I can't be bthered explaining that now.

#17 Chyros

Chyros

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:36 AM

I'd quite like to know whether if this works, the magnesium would be perfect for high ignition temperature compositions. e.g thermite

Thermite is set off by very high temperatures only, I believe, I'd imagine you'd have to use a transformer or something like it to set that off... Woudn't wanna try though, it could easily mess uo the circuit and overload.

Adam, lol why are you shuddering for so many reasons? :D

I dunno, Parkinson maybe? :lol:

#18 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

Not funny. This is a public forum, and for all we know some of our users may have an unfortunate debilatating neural disease. Please show more respect.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users