31 replies to this topic

#16 Reb

Reb

Rebel without a cause

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:51 AM

Excellent response from the retailer, after all it's probably not his fault they failed.

I'm guessing they wouldn't mind being identified here.

Consumer power again.

I nearly fell for it, but just in time i noticed that the society does not allow advertising, so i can't !
shame really because i would.

we have purchased fireworks from them for about 7 years, and had only two duds in that time.
and both were in the same year, and down to fusing problems, (and ya canny see inside the wrapper) so i can't blame the retailer for that.

regards
Reb

Edited by Reb, 14 December 2006 - 04:24 AM.

Fireworks with no bangs, would be like food with no taste!
Sure its edible, but who would want to eat it?

#17 tartanmack

tartanmack

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:14 AM

I nearly fell for it, but just in time i noticed that the society does not allow advertising, so i can't !

we have purchased fireworks from them for about 7 years, and had only two duds in that time.
and both were in the same year, and down to fusing problems, (and ya canny see inside the wrapper) so i can't blame the retailer for that.

regards
Reb

Dont think anyone (EnigmaticBiker) was trying to get you to break any rules just that good service along with good products (or bad ones) should get a mention, elsewhere you will see supermarket chains mentioned by name so why not your suplier. :D

Dont think anyone (EnigmaticBiker) was trying to get you to break any rules just that good service along with good products (or bad ones) should get a mention, elsewhere you will see supermarket chains mentioned by name so why not your suplier. :D

#18 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:10 AM

regards
Reb

A recommendation for a company / person from someone who has received good service will not be classed as advertising. If you were recommending your own products or services - that's advertising :)
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#19 Reb

Reb

Rebel without a cause

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:05 PM

A recommendation for a company / person from someone who has received good service will not be classed as advertising. If you were recommending your own products or services - that's advertising :)

ok then, here they are, (and i checked with them that its ok too)
A1 RAISONS FIREWORKS
2, PARK ROAD
NORTH CAMP
FARNBOROUGH
HAMPSHIRE
GU14 6JG

TELEPHONE: 01252 524021
TELE/FAX: 01252 543470

they have informed me that they only do "collection from the shop"
although a local (within 10 miles) delivery can be arranged in certain circumstances.

they stock mainly the cosmic group (cosmic, golden lion and next generation) ranges as well as menshun and brightstar fountains, selection boxes, cakes, candles, and rockets, they also stock weco rockets (larger singles) weco giant, weco mega, weco ultra and weco twin burst.

they are licensed to sell fireworks all year
and just in case anyone is interested, they also sell fishing tackle and associated items bait etc etc.

As i said, maybe not the cheapest on price (though definately not the dearest either) but the quality is excellent and with service like that, its worth the little bit extra (I think) for the peace of mind.

P.S
A thought just popped into my head about attaching fireworks to the stakes (as original poster), if you cabletie them
( or tape them) to the stake too tightly the added pressure could be enough to compress the tubes, thereby causing a partial blockage (like a choke) and you know what happens then, a blow out !
think of the amount of pressure being put on the corner edges of square and triangular cakes!

to find out how much pressure is involved, try wrapping one or two layers of tape (at the same tension you use on the fireworks) around your hand and see how the pressure builds up with more layers !

thats why i prefer rubble sacks filled with dampened soft earth / sand, but i can appreciate that it would be impracticle to use this method at a professionally layed out display (too bulky) and time consuming as well as a trip hazard in the darkness of night.
just a thought

regards
Reb

#20 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

ok then, here they are, (and i checked with them that its ok too)

Hi Reb, thanks - it's always good to have a recommended supplier. Now just convince them to offer discounts to UKPS members :)

Edited by BrightStar, 14 December 2006 - 08:12 PM.

#21 Reb

Reb

Rebel without a cause

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Hi Reb, thanks - it's always good to have a recommended supplier. Now just convince them to offer discounts to UKPS members :)

Well brightstar,
They do, do a discount scheme anyway, if you order £500 worth, they give you 10% free (their choice of which fireworks), and they tend to choose stuff which will compliment what you order (effects you missed etc).

If the UKPS members want more than that, get one of the top guy's to give them a ring, and have a chat, you never know !

It would also depend on how many "members" would want to order from them (would it be worth they're while?)
How many "members" live within collection distance?

And before anybody thinks it, NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM, AND NO, I AM NOT ON COMMISSION!!!!!
I am just a customer.

regards
reb

Edited by Reb, 02 January 2007 - 01:59 AM.

#22 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

I had a slight misfire over the weekend with a small 28mm bore cake:

Posted Image

This was entirely my own fault. Firing on a field of thick, soft grass, I taped it to a stake but didn't place it on a solid cake board.

The effect was interesting - it kind of fired in reverse with the crackle finale going off in the middle and the rest firing afterwards. To the manufacturer's credit, all of the tubes fired safely. A lesson learnt - for any cake over 1/2" calibre, you really do need a flat, solid surface to fire from, as well as something to tie it to. This will often entail both a stake and a board...

Time to get cutting that plywood :P

Edited by BrightStar, 07 November 2007 - 09:45 AM.

#23 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

If it fired in reverse then the time fuse must have been in the wrong place! However some cakes do have a fuse IN and a fuse OUT to pass fire onto another part of the display.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

misfire

Was that Panda's Wild Space ?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#25 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Was that Panda's Wild Space ?

Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but yes... I have another for New Year so will see if properly rigged it works as expected.

We also had some of the Panda 'Power Candle Combo' 85cm long giant candles. Very satisfying - they did the traditional 'rising higher with each shot' effect with nice loud bursts. A bit of a PITA to set up though - they say to bury 3/4 of the length. Instead I tied them to long stakes and cross-braced mid way with a diagonal. No misfires here :)

Edited by BrightStar, 07 November 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#26 rocket

rocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

I’ve had a cake explode on me once wile doing a display, I’m not sure what it was but I know that it had a red and green break because I got most of it come at me.
It was the first tube that when, as soon as the fuse went into the cake BANG bright flash and a lot of red and green. It was a good thing I had PPE on, got a star right between the eyes and a few got me in the body.

#27 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

I had a rocket blow up upon ignition one time. again, I was lucky that I was wearing PPE, and I have also never forgotten the lesson to:

1) Ignite the device.
2) Turn your back and walk away.
3) Listen for the lift while you're walking away.
4) If you don't hear the lift, keep walking until you're a safe distance away, then turn around.

That's exactly what I did - lit the fuse, turned my back, started walking - BANG! Red stars all over my head, shoulders and back, and a lot of them only just stopped short of the people assembled in the garden. A very sobering experience, but the crowd thought it was all planned, especially when you make a quick safety check of the people and firing area, and carry on if safe to do so!

Edited by GZ22, 07 November 2007 - 11:37 AM.

Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#28 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

We also had some of the Panda 'Power Candle Combo' 85cm long giant candles. Very satisfying - they did the traditional 'rising higher with each shot' effect with nice loud bursts. A bit of a PITA to set up though - they say to bury 3/4 of the length. Instead I tied them to long stakes and cross-brased mid way with a diagonal. No misfires here :)

I've had a misfire with Men Shuns version- the bombette didn't lift, and exploded in the tube. I havn't used them since.

I only asked if it was Wild Space out of curiosity, as you mentioned the firing pattern.

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

Well brightstar,
They do, do a discount scheme anyway, if you order £500 worth, they give you 10% free (their choice of which fireworks), and they tend to choose stuff which will compliment what you order (effects you missed etc).

Not meaning to be rude, but as far as discounts go, thats pretty weak. If you are spending £500, barter a proper percentage off discount.

#30 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

ive had a cat4 maroon cake blow apart on me tonight :blink: one hit me on the shoulder and then i was gone for dust im glad i can run fast.

on further inspection afterwards i found one of the live tubes was missing a clay bung in the bottom, this leads me to believe that there was probably another like this and without the bung there was nothing to contain the pressure to fire the shell thus it blew the cake apart.
We dont do girly shows.!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users