• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Industry standard 70/30 , albeit some of the aluminium blew away during mixing at the point of use due to a nasty downdraft which hit, preceding a rather nasty downpour!

#32 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

Fishy....Which flash comp. are you refering to? the one in my demo?

#33 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

I think that it is a good thing to graphically show the effects.

I haven't got around to making, or required flash yet, but after watching the demos, I think that I would only ever make it AFTER trying all other methods of achieving the desired effect and then only in the smallest quantities needed at the time.

Not to mention standing behind a blast shield using robotic arms! :o

I think (somewhat fortunately) that as Aluminium flake is hard (if not impossible) to get hold of here in the UK, it has/is stopping me trying some out. (Maybe a good thing)

By reading up on here, you will learn that "most" things can be lifted and blown apart by making some very good BP and corning it. There should therefore be only a very few occasions that you would need to use flash at all. - I would at least try to do it with BP before resorting to flash.

Well done for bringing this to EVERYONE'S attention.

As for those ISO videos :o Many of them were like small nuclear devices. I only hope the camera was remotely operated or had a really big zoom lens.

Chris.

#34 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Fishy....Which flash comp. are you refering to? the one in my demo?

Yes, the one in your demo, the special flash.

EDIT: Yes, probably very sensible.

Edited by fishy1, 18 October 2006 - 10:28 PM.

#35 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

I cant reveal the formula here on a public forum, that wouldnt be very sensible. I guarantee you if i did, some idiot newbie would try to make it, and probably lose a few fingers, or worse, in the process!

#36 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

Post deleted, this was not flash! The video was of a binary HE, I never want to see this again. I understand its educational but it has nothing to do with flashpowders! Treat this as a warning, you know who you are.

#37 junglism

junglism

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Post deleted, this was not flash! The video was of a binary HE, I never want to see this again. I understand its educational but it has nothing to do with flashpowders! Treat this as a warning, you know who you are.

Hello

Showing an interesting video to compare with the power of flash powder is surely not a cardinal sin punishable by death? I had no idea what that substance was and wondered if any of you pyros with more experience would know. There was no mention of what the substance consisted of or whether it was a H.E. Is it so terrible to be inquisitive and seek knowledge from supposedly more experienced people?

Why the consistent attitude problem on these forums? One wrong mention of something that a minority of one objects to and its game over. Going on these forums is more temperemental than flash! Even a full stop in the wrong place warrants a mouthful of threats or a ban.

Many people who ride up the ranks of these forums hide behind their computer screens threatening people but they wouldn't speak so rudely to a persons face in the outside world. This is a prevalent thing on the internet and it is highly irritating.

Now I daren't give a contribution until I have years of professional pyro experience under my belt. Is that what I'd need to be able to ask questions on here? We all have to start somewhere and let me tell you I'm not a child and dont need to be told off like one. (I'm older than you ironically.) I understand that you probably get a lot of idiots annoying you on here but I'm not one of them! I do hope you dont treat people in the real world with this lack of compassion?

Thank you

#38 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

This isn't the case. Simply put we tend to avoid discussions of HE on these forums. Don't take it personally. There does seem to be an unhealthy obsession with flash powders, personally I don't find them that interesting! The equation is very simple, you take a powerful oxidant and combine it with a highly calorific, finely divided fuel.

There is far more to the art of fireworks than flash powder. I find colour chemistry and reaction mechanisms of whistles, glitter type stars, and strobes to be of far more interest, and indeed far more rewarding branches of amateur experimentation.

#39 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

Don't take things so seriously dude. HE is something NOBODY wants assosiated with this forum, so you can understand the bluntness of these replies.

Regards,
Drew

Edited by Ritual33, 07 January 2007 - 01:28 AM.

In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#40 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

The video showed how you can use a tiny ammount of binary explosive hidden inside a ball point pen, some of the tags were terrorist and 911 related. The discussion of HE is not on here for a reason. I did not mean to offend you and im sorry if it seemed that way but the subject has to be delt with in a seriously. If it was an unitentional mistake then thats fine, just remember we do not want any post relating to High explosives. Pyrotechnic flash powders are as far as we go and some people dislike the discussion of even these.

This was not a personal attack on you, it serves as a message to others.

If you are unhappy Junglism I will kindly phone you (If you in the UK) Or feel free to PM me.

No hard feelings I hope.

#41 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

I know the of the video which is being reffered to here, and it's generally accepted as being a complete fake. It's some idiot scaremongering! the "just how safe is it to fly?" comment and cheesy music makes this pretty obvious.

What you see in the video is NOT a binary HE - more like some red nail polish and some flour. Either way it has no place on this forum.

#42 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

It was interesing to see in the Chaf videos how the rockets gave the most instantaneous explosion. I;ve no idea exactly what comprises a "60g rocket", but I wouldn't be suprsed if they weren't using a flash bursting charge.

Edited by pyrotrev, 07 January 2007 - 11:58 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#43 lew

lew

Hi. Im Barry Scott!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

I agree with creepin pyro on this.

I work with many military high explosives (including some special ones used to initiate thermonuclear weapons!), and have experience of many others, including some binaries. I dont discuss them here for the reasons stated above - they dont realy have a place in hobby pyrotechnics and fireworks.

The 'explosive' used in this video does not look like anything I have experience with, and the effects look very staged.

If you want to find out about this stuff and watch videos, go to other sites that are not fussed about what they talk about or show.

#44 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

I am afraid to say that I agree with junglism. While I can see both sides of the argument, I feel that those with even slightly inferior knowledge are often threatened etc. I know that HE is what gives us a bad name. but perhaps a better way to do things is to acknowledge that they are there and educate people (especailly the general public) about them and make sure they know that is not what we do, rather than sweeping it under the rug and hoping it will go away. Making it such a taboo makes it seem like we have something to hide, which we don't.
To an outsider it makes it seem like it's not really especially dangerous. Certainly seeing that video (references in this thread made it simple to track down) it makes it seem like manufacture of binary HE with "an added sensitizer" requires no safety precautions. While most of us here can see that the video is a fake, people without the same experience will not know this. They may go on to see HE references across the internet without saftey references and with instructions the potential for problems goes on ad infinitum. Is it not better that we step in first to make sure these people know how dangerous it is.

On another point (just so casual readers will know we're not just guessing about the video) the reasons I think its fake are:
  • Lack of safety precautions. Anyone with any knowledge of HE would at least use basic saftey precautions.
  • Amount prepared. You wouldn't prepare that much if you werent intending to use it because of the safety aspect.
  • The cheesy music and subtitles.
  • The watermelon demonstration. Could have been acheived with a pen full of flash.
  • Not giving any details as to the nature of the "white powder" and "red liqiud" (flour and nail polish)
No-one here is wrong. This is mostly a matter of opinion. If people don't like it they can go somewhere else. The administrators can run this forum as they please, and they work they do behind the scenes deserves nothing but gratitude. It may seem like I'm complaining, but at the end of the day it's not my place to decide.

Edited by Asteroid, 08 January 2007 - 06:31 PM.

#45 691175002

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:46 AM

If 0.85g can do that much damage, imagine what 4-5g will do............still wanna play with flash? :mellow:

... Must... Resist... Urge... To make flash...
You expect seeing that to stop someone from making flash?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users