#1 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hey guys!

Today I?ve finished building my 20mm star pump to quickly produce hard and sturdy stars without having a press or a star plate.

Posted Image

You can see the other pictures HERE

With that device you can produce alot of 20mm stars in little time (of course a star plate would be faster but it?s much more work to build such a thing)

I hope the pix explain how it works. If not, just feel free to ask. Just wanted to share my "construction" with you

With best regards,

paul

Edited by paul, 29 September 2006 - 11:31 AM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#2 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

I recently tried making one, but it took me ages and when I finished the thing it kept sticking, so I just cut or roll stars. Yours looks pretty neat.

#3 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

It really is not that hard to make one. You just have to use a sharp drill. The rest is done by filing.

You can see how easy it slides in the tube in this short video. It really is worth making one I think. Does not cost two euros and is great to work with!

http://www.zippyvide...54696/100_1131/

My flickr photo album

#4 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

For almost all of my stars I use syringe based star pumps (cut the end off a syringe so you have a cylinder/plunger assembly then cut off the individual stars as you slide them out with the plunger). It doesn't give very good edges though cutting them, as the edges do not cut smoothly enough and although the sides are perfectly formed and straight, the places where you cut them off are slightly rough. This can cause crumbling if the binder is not very good, but since I swapped from a strange glucose based binder to dextrin have not had any breaking up.

I think that the star pump you have built would be much easier to use than my method, but won't you get corrosion problems with the metal surfaces and certain comps? I know that the blades I use to cut stars from the syringe go rusty a couple of days later if not cleaned thoroughly.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#5 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

You?re perfectly right! But I don?t use APC or some other corrosive chemicals that would give unstable compounds or stuff.

The 3mm pin in the plunger is easily removed. Then you can clean it just through rinsing tap water through it. So corrosion will be no problem!

(I used a syringe for my 20mm stars before, too but was not satisfied with the wide range of density and size the stars had...

My flickr photo album

#6 hoarp001

hoarp001

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

Mm, nice. whats the middle section made out of? how did you attac that pin?

#7 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

I use a simple wooden dowel in mine (with a brass screw)...

Easy to make with simple tools. Don't make it too tight as it can swell a bit when it's damp.

No good for real mass production I suppose, but I have made many hundreds of stars with pumps like this and it's surprisingly fast.

There is 'how to' on my website in the tools/starpumps section.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users