3 replies to this topic

#1 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone who shoots Cat 4 stuff could help me. I'm curious as to how much individual shells actually cost? I'm sure your aware hearing about X show cost 10k etc, but how much per shell? I'm sure it varies as the shell size changes, but does it also vary alot between different effects? Are they bought in the uk? Do you get them from china? Do you buy shells individually or in boxes/crates? Do you buy them, or do the people you're firing for buy them? Do you select shells in advance for particular shows or it their just a set amount you get for a show that will cost X?

#2 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

Just wondering if anyone who shoots Cat 4 stuff could help me. I'm curious as to how much individual shells actually cost?

I found this site interesting for researching costs:

Precocious Pyrotechnics, Inc

Beware the marching band music and follow the 'imported display' link to their shells...

From my notes, in the UK a 3" ball shell with Veline colour stars costs about GBP £3 for an amateur to make using UK chem suppliers in small batches, this taking no account of time...

As you say though fishy, it would be interesting to learn what the pro's here pay for Cat 4...

Edited by BrightStar, 24 October 2006 - 09:21 PM.

#3 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

A round 3" Chinese shell should cost £1.00 or less if bought by the case of 72

I should have added that a large proportion of the cost of a professional display is taken up with labour, insurance, transport and possibly accomodation costs. The firework cost itself is often a relatively small percentage.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#4 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Just wondering if anyone who shoots Cat 4 stuff could help me. I'm curious as to how much individual shells actually cost? I'm sure your aware hearing about X show cost 10k etc, but how much per shell? I'm sure it varies as the shell size changes, but does it also vary alot between different effects? Are they bought in the uk? Do you get them from china? Do you buy shells individually or in boxes/crates? Do you buy them, or do the people you're firing for buy them? Do you select shells in advance for particular shows or it their just a set amount you get for a show that will cost X?

There are many firework companies in the UK. Few import, most buy from the importers, a couple produce shell themselves.

Most imports (probably a good 98%+) are from China. The larger importers will also import from Japan, Malta and other European countries.

Small shells are very cheap and costs start at 50 pence for 2 inch. Smaller shells are sold almost exclusively in cases – ranging from 144 pieces for 2 inch shells to just a few in the larger diameters. Above six inch, most importers will shell individual pieces (and they fit one a case anyway). Cost of larger shells (let’s say 10 inch) start from 10£ - but more likely to be anywhere from 20£-60£ range.

Costs very greatly of the company manufacturing the shells. Many Chinese companies make average shells on mass production lines with very little attention to details, while premium Chinese shells, and Japanese shells, are manufactured slower, have better effects and fetch higher prices.

European made shells, while sometime extraordinarily good, are also extraordinarily expensive, and can cost 1000% more then their Chinese counterparts.

Selection of shells and other items for a show really depend on the display company. I’ve seen very bad displays showing no understanding of aesthetics where things are just thrown together. The very best do plan methodically for their shows, and improve them on experience. Individuals with visionary understanding of a show are almost none existence. Without insulting anyone, I can think of only about five in the UK, and only one or two of them are good enough for the big international prices.

Edited by BigG, 25 October 2006 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users