25 replies to this topic

#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

I assume they'd also use Ti for bullet hits on metal objects?

#17 Mick

Mick

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thank you steel rat for this example !

Do you have some information about bullet hits on body cars ?
What is the best material to cover the charge in the car body hole ?

#18 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

It's likely that LOTS of "bullet hits" are put on in post production. The trouble with real holes is that there is no chance of a retake, and movies do like lots of retakes.

I was in a TV series long ago and one day's (8am to 8pm) shooting yielded possibly 10 shots each reshot 10 times.

Real holes in props are done very carefully with multiple cameras to get all the possible shots that may ever be needed in the ONE take.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#19 Steelrat

Steelrat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

bullet hits still tend to be used in productions, specialy if they are on breakable objects, which would cost far to much in CGI fx,
as for bullet holes on cars , i like to use plastercean moddeling clay then prime and spray D80-1 or 2 .
if you intresed in the costs see bellow

100 body ignitors C3 = D80s. cost around 641 €uros
The transport Spain - Birmingham to ( Eley Hawk warehouse) UK

D80 bullet hits contain hi-Primary Explosives
most D80 s contain Diazodinitrophenol (DDNP) yellowish brown powder.
ive used ones with Lead Azide ... sensitive to everything , handel with care.
note of intrest
though they are unable to set off detonating cord or secondary hi-explosives
Tested !

Edited by Steelrat, 17 February 2008 - 01:02 AM.

Explosive Compositions and children dont mix.

#20 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

i thought zirconium was used for bullets hitting metal.....giving a shower of sparks.
almost like an empty paintball sphere or smaller filled with gravel and a small amont of zirconium fire by a pneumatic gun of sorts.............usually called zirc hits

dave

bullet hits still tend to be used in productions, specialy if they are on breakable objects, which would cost far to much in CGI fx,
as for bullet holes on cars , i like to use plastercean moddeling clay then prime and spray D80-1 or 2 .
if you intresed in the costs see bellow

100 body ignitors C3 = D80s. cost around 641 €uros
The transport Spain - Birmingham to ( Eley Hawk warehouse) UK

D80 bullet hits contain hi-Primary Explosives
most D80 s contain Diazodinitrophenol (DDNP) yellowish brown powder.
ive used ones with Lead Azide ... sensitive to everything , handel with care.
note of intrest
though they are unable to set off detonating cord or secondary hi-explosives
Tested !

#21 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

There are actually lots of things used for "bullet hits".

Depending on what the scenic requirement is, and the location. Hits can be live concealed charges - anything from a bit of flash to a 2oz stick, or simply post production fx or full blown CGI work.

Things like location, budget, and permissions are important. If your bullet hit simulators have a pyro compound then the requirements are a lot less (in the UK anyway) from the conditions for use of HE or primary explosives.

There is one (theatrical) bullet hit done with a rubber band and a nail!
On cue release the rubber band and the vase breaks and the audience think that the aimed pistol broke the vase.

#22 Steelrat

Steelrat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

i thought zirconium was used for bullets hitting metal.....giving a shower of sparks.
almost like an empty paintball sphere or smaller filled with gravel and a small amont of zirconium fire by a pneumatic gun of sorts.............usually called zirc hits

dave

Zirk hits are indeed used for spark hits , But D80 s used to make (fake) a bullet hole in the body work of a car

Posted Image
Explosive Compositions and children dont mix.

#23 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Whilst I do not wish to spit in anyones coffee, why oh why do film makers insist in these days of 'realism' on making bullet strike look unrealistic? Round shot through a vehicle are not impressive to look at; holes just appear and side windows shatter. No shower of sparks or bit of metal flying back. At night you may get a flash if the round hits aluminium. This was extensively tested by the Army in the early 1980s after a couple of incidents in NI.

As for rounds hitting trees, well all the action happens if the round penetrates the tree. With MG fire you may see the occasional bit of bark falling off at the impact point but its behind the tree that bits may fly off.

I know that a lot of guys like myself find these unrealistic 'effects' spoil films. Film makers, make it realistic because it then adds to the film.

#24 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

Whilst I do not wish to spit in anyones coffee, why oh why do film makers insist in these days of 'realism' on making bullet strike look unrealistic? Round shot through a vehicle are not impressive to look at; holes just appear and side windows shatter. No shower of sparks or bit of metal flying back. At night you may get a flash if the round hits aluminium. This was extensively tested by the Army in the early 1980s after a couple of incidents in NI.

As for rounds hitting trees, well all the action happens if the round penetrates the tree. With MG fire you may see the occasional bit of bark falling off at the impact point but its behind the tree that bits may fly off.

I know that a lot of guys like myself find these unrealistic 'effects' spoil films. Film makers, make it realistic because it then adds to the film.

hi, i know what you mean, but i guess enhanced reality looks more exciting
dave

#25 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Good filming vs Real looking!

#26 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hi !

I have to realise bullet hits on trees .
I often use D-80 series as boddy hits but is SD or D60 more appropriate on objects?
What size will give me the best effects ? ( Bullets comme from beretta 92 and glock 17).

Can you share your experience on this effects ?

Thank you

i don,t know if the following web site is current, but some interesting pics on bullet hit assembly, might be interesting to someonePosted Image
http://www.pyrochemie.com/e_bilder.htm

dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users