• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Timmmm

Timmmm

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

When I was little I went to an awesome pyrotechnics lecture by someone behind the special effects in the bond films.

It was a long time ago, so I could be remembering this wrong, but I think he had some stuff that burns cold, so you can light it and hold it in your hand. I seem to remember him saying it was guncotton.

Does anyone know guncotton behaves like that, and if not, do you know of anything that does?

#2 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

Did it burn in a flash, if so then yes it is most likely gun cotton. For slow burning compositions i'm not so sure. IIRC a 1:1 carbon disulfide and carbon tetrachloride mix used to be widely used to give a non burning flame, that is until they discovered both were highly toxic in particular CCl4 which is a carcinogen.
There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.

#3 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

I'm pretty sure what you saw was guncotton.

High quality guncotton can be burnt (in small amounts) in the hand without feeling much heat, however, I would not want to prolong my exposure to the flame for more than the quick flash of a small amount... It's not that cold!

It is used by magicians for this reason, along with its ease of ignition, as it instantly catches fire from a low voltage glo-plug or other easy-to-conceal device...

#4 rodney

rodney

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:48 AM

its also referd as flash cotton and theres a paper and its called flash paper they put a pea size piece of flash cotton in a hand held device with a glo-plug and then wrap a piece of the flash paper around your pinky finger and put it in the device then push a button and a aa batery 1.5 v heats up the glo-plug and makes a flame thrower that the device can be mounted to your hand like it shoots flames i wish my digital camera was here i would take a pic of the device to show you rodney
[size=7][b][color=#FF0000]IF IT BLEW UP IN YOUR FACE YOU DID IT WRONG!
its all about the shells baby
what would we do without black powder

#5 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

http://www.hfmgroup..../flashguns.html

Fun things : )

#6 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

i have seen something different to flashpaper/cotton
it looked like a wax paste, and it burnt at a slow rate, with a large orange flame.
You could smear it on your hands (or wherever :P ) and it seemed not to burn them.

Any ideas?

#7 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Pyro Gel?
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users