• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for posting those great photos, Firefiend. You certainly know your vintage fireworks. Do you remember a helicopter type firework that had thin wooden wings printed with the red, white and blue RAF roundels? I think it was made by Standard but I cannot remember it's name.

#47 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hi Nimbus

I've only got a few of pictures of the ones with RAF Roundels on:
Astra Helicopter
Rainbow Helicopter
Standard Aeroplane

There are also these on the Firework Museum site:
Standard Helicopter
Standard Aeroplanes & Helicopters

Sadly I've never managed to get one for my collection, but I have quite a few ordinary helicopter type fireworks, e.g. Brock's Vampire Bat - Shame they disappeared :D

#48 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

ive never seen those before, very interesting, are they just end burning? ie no hole in the side of the tube like a hummer, and they just rely on the card wings for lift?

#49 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

ive never seen those before, very interesting, are they just end burning? ie no hole in the side of the tube like a hummer, and they just rely on the card wings for lift?

All of the Brock's and Wilder's ones I remember from the 60s and 70s were plugged both ends and has a fuse coming out of the side. I'm not sure about the earlier ones and other makes though. You can just about make it out on the picture of the Polar Whirlwind, running along the lower side of the touchpaper into the twisted end. I remember they were pretty spectacular when they went up, but you never knew the angle or direction of flight, hence the ban.

Brock's Polar Whirlwind

#50 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

Cheers Firefiend! With those photos you have just opened an otherwise closed chapter of my youth. There are the roundels I remember, though I can't pinpoint the exact firework. I take my hat off to you, for your expertise and consideration.

#51 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Nice photos of the Standard Parachute Floating Light there FireFiend - many many thanks.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#52 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

being to young to remember these :rolleyes: what was the parachute material?

#53 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:10 AM

When you think of the joy and sastifaction fireworks gave us when we were young it's incredible, and quite Orwellian, that the general philosophy of Big Brother is that such pleasures are unhealthy and not needed. As a teenager I earnt money with three jobs - gardening for a rich estate, a paper round and looking after a neighbour's dog (I eventually adopted the dog). When the firework season arrived I was ready with cash in hand to start buying my favourite brands The pleasure and pride of buying a box of bangers. a few rockets and maybe a few sparklers for my sister - such pleasures are now removed by the Nanny State. At this time these things made my life meaningful. Being able to buy and let off fireworks as a young teenager gave me memories I now cherish, even though I am now a husband and father.

#54 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

being to young to remember these :rolleyes: what was the parachute material?

Thin cotton if I recall, with a length of asbestos string separating the flare from the parachute strings.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users