• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick.shaw

nick.shaw

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:36 PM

Hi everyone, i am kind of new to pyrotechnics but have a good grounding in (A-Level) chemistry and admit to attempting :flames:HE manufacture

i have decided to settle down with fireworks from now on:D

anyway....to the point.

In my opinion the little strobe effect is the king of fireworks but all my attempts have failed
:(HELP:(

#2 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:53 PM

What composition are you using?:)

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:14 PM

You need some pretty narly chemicals for strobes, but please elaborate on the problem. Saying you tried it and it doesnt work isnt enough for us to work with!!

#4 nickisback

nickisback

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 10:45 PM

sorry bout the wait on my return but forgot password it seems. (hence the new username)

i have been using flash powder layers separated with layers of paper soaked in potassium nitrate then dried to provide a slow and darker burning medium between each flash. experimenting with layers of paper got me anywhere from a large bang (and crater) to a series of flashes separated by seconds but not the lightning fast strobes.

the paper medium also generates too much light:(

cant really think of another way to achieve that :(

still the bang was fun :arse:

Nick

#5 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:01 PM

That's not really how they make a strobe composition. I can tell you this....the frequency of the flash can be regulated a couple of different ways. One is particle size and the other is an excess of one of the constituents. That's what I'm familiar with anyhow.

#6 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 02:07 PM

Ooooh, how that made me chuckle!! As if it was that simple! Strobes are one of the most complex and precise effects to achieve. Its all about dichromates nitroguanidine, hot spots etc, not flash powder and touchpaper. Nice idea though.

#7 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

I was under the impression that nick was talking about flash pots, as in, twinklers. Check passfire under ammonium perchlorate stars.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users