33 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:27 PM

Just browsing thru a chemical supplier. Anyone got any thoughts on some of these for research only :)

Lithium chlorate - considering how sodium chlorate reacts compared to potassium, this stuff should just fall apart.
Silver perchlorate
Strontium chlorate
Barium floride - For those not with me, flourine acts in the same way as chlorine as a halogen doner, only better. Ohh, wonder if i could try this with lots of chems.

Wow, i just have to get myself some cesium chunks, saw of vidio of it being dropped in water while at school. Might try dropping it in vinegar (for the reason that the demo vidio i saw blew up the container, and dropping it in Conc acid would result in the acid going everywhere)

Steve
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#2 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:46 PM

Don't know much about all those fancy sounding chemicals you listed. Would like to grub up a pail or two of some realgar if anyone has some that they keep banging there toes on. Heck, I'll even grind the stuff up myself if it's all lumpy.:D

#3 nickisback

nickisback

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:23 PM

lithium has a lower electronegativity than sodium (the ability to attract charged particles) so will certainly give out chlorine much more readily although you have to be wary as compounds like this start becoming more and more unstable so it may even decompose on its own.

barium flourate hmmmm

wel flourine is a heel of a lot more reactive than chlorine so would require more energy to break the bonds with the barium - the energy given out by a halogen bonding with free ions in the burning mix might be less than the energy required to break those bonds in the first place (dimming the burning)

it may not even separate requiring fantastically high temps..

may look all this up properly if asked nicely.

telling me how to make a decent strobe might help too :D

Nick

#4 nickisback

nickisback

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:27 PM

by the way if you ever get any caesium, you could end a lifelong quest of mine in tellin me how to get hold of some, our school only stocked potassium (according to them anyway) caesium is now a dangerous substance (officially) so they cant get hold of it :mad:

Nick:D

#5 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:27 PM

The plan with the barium floride is that it has a low temperature of vaporisation not decomposition.
Cesium will kick

Steve

#6 Chemikus

Chemikus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:24 PM

Strontium Chlorate is more hygroscopic
as Sodium perchlorate.i have sodium perchlorate and this Chemical is not usable.Strontium chlorate even less.

Strontium Chlorate, Sr(ClO3)2

molecular weight 254.54,
white rhombic crystals,
mp dec 120C, @density of 3.152
soluble in water, insoluble in alcohol
Can be obtained by neutralizing aqueous HCI03 with either Sr(OH)2 or SrCO3.
The anhydrous salt may also be obtained by heating the octahydrate or other hydrates to 120C.
The Trihydrate, Sr( ClO3)2 .3H2O is reported as having been obtained in needle-like crystals by cooling a 59.7%? soln of Strontium Chlorate to - 40C, and rhombic prisms by cooling a 64.7%? solution to -20C / -25C.
Octahydrate, Sr(CIO3)2 .8H2O;
mw 398.67,
white needles,
melting point (looses 8H20 at 120Co.)
Can be prepared either by electrolysis of strong aqueous solution of SrCl2 or by passing chlorine gas through a warm aqueous solution of SR(OH)2 with subsequent evaporation of the water and crystalization of the octahydrate

Uses: The ocrahydrate is used as an oxidizing agent in explosives, exercising a cooling effect due to the large amount of water of crystalization, and in pyrotechnic compositions for producing a red light.

Izzo gives the following composition for violet light star:
Sr Chlorate, 14.5, K Chlorate 58.5 , Cu Carbonate 10, Sulfur 10 & shellac 77-
Note: This a dangerous composition because of the Chlorate + Sulfur.

#7 hosto

hosto

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:53 AM

fluorides would not be a good halogen donor, fluorine is extremely electronegative. if anything bromides or iodides would be better. I think iodides readily decompose to the respective oxide and the halogen when heated sufficiently (although i could be wrong about this)

#8 fusion121

fusion121

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:05 PM

Someone was selling a vial of ceasium of on ebay a while back, mind you you'd never actually be able to get it into water or vinegar, moisture in the air causes it to spontaneously inflame(pretty explosively).

#9 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

Someone was selling a vial of ceasium of on ebay a while back, mind you you'd never actually be able to get it into water or vinegar, moisture in the air causes it to spontaneously inflame(pretty explosively).

break it open under oil.

#10 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

I thought ceasium was also radiactive?
One rare item I have in my collection is 3 small strips of U-238 that are in a bottle of mineral oil. They have allmost no xray but are quite active beta emitters.

#11 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

Just browsing thru a chemical supplier. Anyone got any thoughts on some of these for research only :)

Lithium chlorate - considering how sodium chlorate reacts compared to potassium, this stuff should just fall apart.
Silver perchlorate
Strontium chlorate
Barium floride - For those not with me, flourine acts in the same way as chlorine as a halogen doner, only better. Ohh, wonder if i could try this with lots of chems.

Wow, i just have to get myself some cesium chunks, saw of vidio of it being dropped in water while at school. Might try dropping it in vinegar (for the reason that the demo vidio i saw blew up the container, and dropping it in Conc acid would result in the acid going everywhere)

Steve

Interesting,

I've found a little information on Silver Perchlorate, it has the peculiar quality of being very soluble in ether and water as well as toluene and benzene.

CAS No. 7783-93-9 Silver perchlorate

It could be very unstable in compositions especially with anything that can produce ammonia (eg. acidic Sulphur and KNO3) as there is a potential to produce Azides or "fulminating Silver" (Ag3N) over time. :unsure:
Silver Azide (AgN3) is dangerously explosive and sensitive, Ag3N is worse.

Certain Iodine compounds are likely to react vigorously, too.

Wildly expensive I'd imagine.

Lithium Perchlorate might be fun, I'm not sure wether the chlorate would be safe enough.

Simon

#12 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

Interesting,

I've found a little information on Silver Perchlorate, it has the peculiar quality of being very soluble in ether and water as well as toluene and benzene.

CAS No. 7783-93-9 Silver perchlorate

It could be very unstable in compositions especially with anything that can produce ammonia (eg. acidic Sulphur and KNO3) as there is a potential to produce Azides or "fulminating Silver" (Ag3N) over time. :unsure:
Silver Azide (AgN3) is dangerously explosive and sensitive, Ag3N is worse.

Certain Iodine compounds are likely to react vigorously, too.

Wildly expensive I'd imagine.

Lithium Perchlorate might be fun, I'm not sure wether the chlorate would be safe enough.
Simon

wouldn't lithium perchlorate or chlorate just be wildly hydroscopic?

#13 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

wouldn't lithium perchlorate or chlorate just be wildly hydroscopic?

Lithium Perchlorate is mentioned in my books as the mono or trihydrate, no mention of hygroscopic behaviour.
The chloride is so hygroscopic it is listed as deliquescent.

LiClO4 is apparently used as an oxygen supply in spacecraft and submarines as a backup supply.

melting point 236 degC.

#14 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

The chloride is so hygroscopic it is listed as deliquescent.

I can vouch for that - when using it for methanol flames, any crystals of the stuff left outside will turn into pools of mush within a few minutes. Very pretty colour though : )

While we're vaguely on the subject, has anyone ever heard of Strontium Bromide being used as a colourant? It's incredibly hydroscopic too - I have some stored under Acetone.

#15 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

While we're vaguely on the subject, has anyone ever heard of Strontium Bromide being used as a colourant? It's incredibly hydroscopic too - I have some stored under Acetone.

Never heard of it, and a quick scan of my books reveals nothing, not even mentioned.

I think it would produce a typical red, probably at a lower temperature than the chloride.

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users