37 replies to this topic

#1 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

please dont delete this one. ive searched the forums and cant find anything. for various reasons i cannot purchase fuses off the web, nor potassium nitrate. So is it possible to create fuse from sodium chlorate or potassium chlorate. Ive tried soking string in saturated solutions of sodium chlorate and sugar. It works but the small crystals wich form on it sometimes rub off or break.

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

If you cannot find any Potassium Nitrate, you're not going to get very far in this hobby!

Keep searching and ye shall find!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

ive searched the forums and cant find anything.

There are plenty of threads on fusing. try searching for blackmatch or visco. Also look at the web site that "Pretty Green Flames" has made, there are step by step guides on fusing. Also many other forum members have good sites with fusing info

for various reasons i cannot purchase fuses off the web, nor potassium nitrate.

There are plenty of cheap sources for both on the web, PM me if you can't find any. If it's because you are not 18, then you can get a parent/guardian to purchase them for you. Inoxia has this policy.

So is it possible to create fuse from sodium chlorate or potassium chlorate.

Avoid the use of Chlorates at all costs. There is really no place for them in Safe pyrotechnics.

Ive tried soking string in saturated solutions of sodium chlorate and sugar. It works but the small crystals wich form on it sometimes rub off or break.

That's one way to make fuse; not a very good one though. As I said before there are better ways to make fuse.

#4 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

If you cannot find any Potassium Nitrate, you're not going to get very far in this hobby!

Keep searching and ye shall find!

I can find it but as i said there are various reasons why i cannot BUY it.

#5 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

I can find it but as i said there are various reasons why i cannot BUY it.

Youve got me wondering now :unsure: how come you can find kno3 & fuse but cant buy it....yet you can access chlorates, when these are much harder to get than kno3??? (and a lot more dangerous)

#6 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

What are the resons for you not being able to get potassium nitrate, If you cant get it then you cant make much as you cant make black powder. Almost everything I construct will have balckpowder in there to make it function. Of course you can use chlorates for stuff but as soon as any sulphur compounds get to it your in big trouble!! I suggest you stop what your doing until you can get a supply of potassium nitrate and other chemicals to make good quality blackpowder.

#7 wayne

wayne

• Admin
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Youve got me wondering now :unsure: how come you can find kno3 & fuse but cant buy it....yet you can access chlorates, when these are much harder to get than kno3??? (and a lot more dangerous)

I'd guess B&Q and a sieve is easier than KNO3/Fuse sources :P

As already stated hangusman, don't play around with Chlorates especially as a newbie to pyro.

#8 TomTom

TomTom

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

Does any one know a site where I can buy cheap visco safety fuse from? The place that I bought it from has been closed down. Wounder why:rolleyes:

#9 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

SP Fireworks and UK VISCO (is they are still around)

#10 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:57 AM

When people say to search, they do not meanb manualy search through the entire forum, but to use the search function at the top right hand of the forum main page. If you have not seen it yet you will curse yourself for not, I certainly did when I saw it first after almost a year being on the forum. :blush:
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#11 lew

lew

Hi. Im Barry Scott!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:53 AM

Does any one know a site where I can buy cheap visco safety fuse from? The place that I bought it from has been closed down. Wounder why:rolleyes:

try hobbychem.co.uk for fuse.

i used to use uk visco but i found their thin fuse very brittle and prone to kinking. the stuff from hobbychem is much better quality and cheaper too.

#12 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

To be honest my parents dont want to buy it. They dont want to get caught or summin. But then i can get my m8 to buy it for me but his parents wont let him buy it off any where but ebay. And its so exxpensive there. Chlorates are very easy to get hold of.

#13 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

In that case my advice is to wait till your old enough to get it yourself, if your using Chlorates then thats foolish as you seem to have limited knowlage of pyrotechnics and basic chemistry. Show you parents that your willing to read up on this highly dangerous subject, im sure they will get you books to study as this will show them your willing to wait a bit before jumping into the deep end. Good luck and stay green! Dont read this as me trying to be nasty im just trying to help you out.

#14 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

When people say to search, they do not meanb manualy search through the entire forum, but to use the search function at the top right hand of the forum main page. If you have not seen it yet you will curse yourself for not, I certainly did when I saw it first after almost a year being on the forum. :blush:

i ve seen it but everything i search comes up with the same thing every time. :angry:

#15 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

Give two examples of two lots of text that came up with same items? You have to sift through it, it wont come up at the top I doubt.

Edited by karlfoxman, 28 February 2007 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users