37 replies to this topic

#16 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:43 PM

Give two examples of two lots of text that came up with same items? You have to sift through it, it wont come up at the top I doubt.

Well ive typed fuse, potassium nitrate and black powder among other things and it came up the same. I dont no y...

#17 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

All of those are very very common words words in this forum, you will have to search through. Or if you tell me what in particular your wanting to know maybe I can find it. The only why to do it is to search through every post. You may find other things your wanting to know on your search too.

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Im not sure if this will be any help to you due to the fact that you cant buy kno3 but this is what my search came up with

http://www.pyrosocie.......ic=1879&hl=

The thing that puzzles me is that if your dad will only let you buy from ebay,there could be a chance that your not going to get a good product and they could be a monitoring issue (could be wrong).

The uk based suppliers also accept paypal and you know what your getting .Im sure all of us here that have ordered from inoxia/hobbychem have had no problems at all . i'v just received some visco fuse from hobbychem and have not had a knock at the door.

hope my post made some sense (i'm really tired :wacko: )
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#19 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

Visco fuse is not actually allowed on ebay, I had a listing removed before I realised this and am stuck with huge amounts of it! Also I later found out that it is not legal to post by normal post, though every visco order I have recieved has been sent by royal mail. Your friend will have a hard time in buying visco before ebay can shut down the listing (took them 2 days on mine).

My local independant garden centre sells small packs of KNO3 (chempak brand, in a plain blue box) though it is not all that cheap at £3.50/500g, it seems quite pure. Don't bother trying chain stores like wilkinsons as they do not stock it. Anyone can walk in and buy it, they never asked me age or purpose etc.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#20 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Visco fuse is not actually allowed on ebay, I had a listing removed before I realised this and am stuck with huge amounts of it! Also I later found out that it is not legal to post by normal post, though every visco order I have recieved has been sent by royal mail. Your friend will have a hard time in buying visco before ebay can shut down the listing (took them 2 days on mine).

Hazardous goods ARE allowed on Ebay, as long as they're posted via the apropriate courier.

Which they hardly ever are.

#21 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

My local independant garden centre sells small packs of KNO3 (chempak brand, in a plain blue box) though it is not all that cheap at £3.50/500g, it seems quite pure. Don't bother trying chain stores like wilkinsons as they do not stock it. Anyone can walk in and buy it, they never asked me age or purpose etc.

Oh rite cos i was in a garden center and found a box of stump remover, and it didnt say what it was and it was a blue box. Make any sense?

Also for the record. Im allowed to get things from shops not internet. If i dunno wat im doin. My dad helps me, cos he did it for a while wen he was yunger...

#22 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

i was in a garden center and found a box of stump remover, and it didnt say what it was and it was a blue box.

The stuff I've seen clearly says potassium nitrate in big letters on the front of the box, but I have heard KNO3 being sold as stump remover before, maybe worth a try. It actually looked really unprofessional, with nothing printed on the box. Just a sticky label saying 'chempak, potassium nitrate 500g' and a list of the potassium, oxygen and nitrogen percentages.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#23 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

I found summin testin the other day. Got a pile of gunpowder lay a piece of steel wool innit and lit it. The steel thread burnt down and lit the powder. I was wonderin if i could use it as a fuse for fountains. Only??

#24 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

No you cant, use only correct fuses. Fuse is made to be fuse, if its so hard to get it then sprinkle black powder inside tissue and roll it up to make a fuse.

#25 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

You probably could, but I would seriously advise against it due to the erratic way that stuff burns. The whole point of fuse is to have a delay which can be timed with relative precision.

EDIT: beat me to it Karl :) I guess that's agreed anyway - don't use it for fuse!

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 05 March 2007 - 07:07 PM.

#26 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

No you cant, use only correct fuses. Fuse is made to be fuse, if its so hard to get it then sprinkle black powder inside tissue and roll it up to make a fuse.

Yes. I have done that. It makes to bigger flame and is to wide...

#27 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Not being funny hangusman but black match is far too easy to make if you already have blackpowder to justify makeshift fuse.

Just put 50g of blackpowder and 10g of dextrin into a plastic cup add enough water to make a smooth soup from it and put a length of cotton string into it. Mash it in for 5 minutes and leave it to soak for another 5 mash it again then pull it out runing it through your fingers to remove any excess and hang it up somwhere suitable to dry.

The large amount of dextrin will slow down the burn rate a bit but make the fuse very strong and stop the blackpowder crumbling and it will burn very reliably if looked after.

Dont gamble with safety.

Edited by cooperman435, 05 March 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#28 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Not being funny hangusman but black match is far too easy to make if you already have blackpowder to justify makeshift fuse.

Just put 50g of blackpowder and 10g of dextrin into a plastic cup add enough water to make a smooth soup from it and put a length of cotton string into it. Mash it in for 5 minutes and leave it to soak for another 5 mash it again then pull it out runing it through your fingers to remove any excess and hang it up somwhere suitable to dry.

The large amount of dextrin will slow down the burn rate a bit but make the fuse very strong and stop the blackpowder crumbling and it will burn very reliably if looked after.

Dont gamble with safety.

Ok thanks very good. See it just i want to see the cheapest method and easiest. Is touch paper good i made it but im waitin to use it??

#29 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

Touch paper is ok but depending on the oxidiser you use it can be hydroscopic which wil at best effect the burn rate of the paper and at worst stop it burning completely. Both would be very bad due to the likleyhood of a hang fire or dud.

The blackmatch also creates a hot strong flame that will burn into a composition aiding ignition.

Please dont post things like you are looking for the cheapest method because as I put before safety is THE most importaint thing to be concerned with.

Edited by cooperman435, 06 March 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#30 defective

defective

NO VICE :(

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

please dont delete this one. ive searched the forums and cant find anything. for various reasons i cannot purchase fuses off the web, nor potassium nitrate. So is it possible to create fuse from sodium chlorate or potassium chlorate. Ive tried soking string in saturated solutions of sodium chlorate and sugar. It works but the small crystals wich form on it sometimes rub off or break.

if youre still having trouble getting KNO3 you can buy it from www.sausagemaking.com or .co.uk something like that (google it) its used to cure ham and stuff cant remember how it was, ive ordered it once before.
" baarweep granaar veep ninibon "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users