6 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:25 AM

Just out of interest, how would a person go about setting up their own fireworks business e.g getting a license to make and sell fireworks. Are there anyother rules or restrictions other then the license? Also, do firework companies buy there chemicals from somewhere real cheap like other countries or a special fireworks chemical supplier?

Stuart

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:12 PM

Manufacture is regulated by the HSE. You need a licenced explosives factory site with sufficient storage. Usually stores are inspected by trading standards or the fire service.

Chemicals are bought from any old chemical firm. There isn't a particular place where you walk in and grab everything you need!

Getting the licence to manufacture alone costs ?800, plus to meet storage requirements you will probably spend a few thousand on magazines.

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:11 PM

There you go. Dont even think of setting up a factory until you've spent many years actually working in the trade. Its a lot to manage....

#4 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

And once you jump over the legal hurdles and you have the paperwork, you need to make a profit!
(Unless of course you are a wide boy with wads of cash hanging out of your sneakers). :)

#5 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 07:37 AM

I wanst thinking of setting up a business, like I said at the top - just out of interest.
Oh and do the fireworks industry have massive ball mills that are turned by car engines and the containers are big 50 gallon oil drums?
Thanks

Stuart

[Edited on 15-7-2003 by Stuart]

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:26 PM

Many manufacturers usually make their own tools, usually from industrial parts. Sometimes existing machinery eg cement mixer is modified.

#7 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:09 PM

Now your talking.

I was wondering what to do with that rusting heap in my back yard.:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users