19 replies to this topic

#1 chrissw

chrissw

chrissw

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:04 PM

I read on a website (i think it was daimond-something or other) that it is perfectly legal to experiment with small quantities of pyrotechnic materials from the comfort of one's own garage or garden shed provided one doesn't try to make a firework out of it. The website also quoted the Health and Safety Exec. as stating that the term "small qty" referred to "a few ounces". Is this right?

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:11 PM

Just moved this thread into the legislation forum.

This statement holds some truth. I believe it is lawful to manufacture a small quantity of blackpowder. Interpret this whatever way you will.

At the end of the day, who is going to bang on your door if you make a small fountain? The answer is probably no-one.

I'm sure many UK amatuers would become more legit/legal if it was easier to do so. My only other suggestion is move to France! In terms of pyro anything goes. They don't believe in health and safety.

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by Richard H]

#3 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:18 PM

The British law does not define what small quantity is, but few ounces do sound right. The idea is not to prevent people from learn about what happened when a composition is burned ? but to make sure they don?t try to build a device with explosive properties.

At the time the law was written ? the belief was that the experimenter would work within reason. Today there is a general view that reason does not exist, so quantities need to be spelt out. With the general review that is done today in the field of pyrotechnics, I would not be surprised if numbers will start to show.

BigG

#4 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 12:57 AM

If you drive over the speed limit by just a couple of miles per hour the police are not likely to pull you over. On the other hand if your blasting down the highway and give the authorities the middle finger they have no choice but respond.

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:56 PM

It's all part of the cursed nanny state that Britain is becoming.

Real freedom is allowing people to do what they want and punishing them if they hurt people. Stopping people doing things at all so they can't hurt people is... what's the word I'm seaching for, ah yes DICTATORSHIP!!!

If my government does not trust me, I do not trust my government - what bright chap said that - probably American...

#6 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 09:52 PM

it's the same over here anymore. Some'one' gets their feelings hurt and 'every'body else has got to roll over. Anyone that is willing to give up liberty for security deserves neither.

Don't get me going.....:mad: Best stay focused on fireworks here on the forum or The Great Maker of the Forum will spank us. Nobody wants that. And if they do, we don't want to hear about it.

#7 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:20 PM

Half of UK law is in statutes, passed by governments, the rest is case law, based on the interpretation of judges. I asked a while ago if anyone knew of ANY prosecutions? It would be as interesting to know who had got off as well as who had been fined etc.

My guess is that as long as no one gets hurt then no one is going to bother too much. But then who knows? I fully accept that we live in a police state dressed up as a democracy and need to dodge the bullets accordingly. I mean we might all speed a bit but no one paints their cars with flowers anymore.

#8 BOBO

BOBO

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:49 PM

I believe that as Britain becomes more like the u.s (Their probably run by the same puppetiers) Then laws will probably start tightning up.

Now is a Dangerous time for pyro's especially after 9.11, people like us might end up being accused of being part of some secret terrorist group poseing as hobbiest's!

#9 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 12:44 PM

I think that most prosecutions have been for people accidentally shooting near or at people with home made projectile weapons, I know that 2 boys working at an industrial place nearly shot a ball bearing threw someones head from a pressurisation chamber.

#10 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:31 PM

I actually don't appose regulation on the subject of pyrotechnic. Before the presentation of the explosive act of 1875, the amount of accidents and human fatalities was large, and this proved that measured legislation has a place - especially when the subject of explosives is involved. Being a member of the this forum I see more then once that people making posts are interested in things that blow up bigger rather then the "art" involved in the manufacture in Fireworks/Pyro FX.

Just to put it very clear - there were in the past numerous prosecution of individuals that experimented with pyrotechnics. Some resulted in many years of imprisonment to the individuals involved. It is important to note that in all of those cases it was a clear cut that the experiment were toward and put practically for the production of explosives.

In the USA, while putting on some tough guidelines - it is not beyond the ability of the amateur to be completely legal. The amateur does require a lump sum investment to build up proper storage magazine and register his documents. Once that's done, very little is required to maintain the license. The initial investment could be around 2000$, and while this does sound a large amount, lets not forget that hobbies can be expensive (serious amateur golf players pay significantly more for club memberships over the years).

What is sad about the UK legislation is that there does not seem to be organized and well explained procedure for an amateur pyro-technician. Maybe Adam could elaborate on the subject.

BigG

#11 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:47 PM

With regard to people who use this forum with intent to make nothing but noise, we are doing everything we can to discourage this.

When the new site is live, the forum will be no longer as openly accessable. Only genuine pyro's with a healthy interest will be able to get in.

This means more people like BigG, Adam,Bernie, Rhodri,Blasterbert, Robo, and many others, and much less of the flash powder idiots.

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by Richard H]

#12 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:18 PM

Hi Richard

This really is good news - a new forum and more screening (pardon the pun :) )of undesirables!

Well done!

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by Rhodri]

#13 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Richard H
With regard to people who use this forum with intent to make nothing but noise, we are doing everything we can to discourage this.

When the new site is live, the forum will be no longer as openly accessable. Only genuine pyro's with a healthy interest will be able to get in.

This means more people like BigG, Adam,Bernie, Rhodri,Blasterbert, Robo, and many others, and much less of the flash powder idiots.

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by Richard H]

sounds like i'm buggered. oh well..

#14 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:19 PM

Why are you buggered? You and Matt are the pimply faced youthful future of fireworks!

Honestly, you lot need to lighten up, your all so bloomin miserable.

#15 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:38 PM

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users