29 replies to this topic

#1 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

[quote name='BigBang' post='31689' date='Feb 19 2007, 11:03 PM']
I dont know how this test was carried out or the amounts used, but for it to burn that fast, it would either need to be confined to some extent, or the amount tested was large enough for it to self-confine.
[Hi,
could someone tell me if 2 micon german dark is a much denser powder than 5 micron fluffy flake,as today i went to make a break charge for my crossettes using for the first time some german dark i had bought,and
when opening the packet there was not one bit of airborne powder.When i made a half gram batch and lit it unconfined it burnt with a roar but not a flash like my 5 micron does,surely it should have burnt faster?So i a m begining to wonder if i have been sold a puppy,or when confined does it come to life. :D
Vince.

Edited by starseeker, 03 March 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#2 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

You were taken for a ride. You are talking about 70/30? I have 2 micron Indian Blackhead I just got and its scary to just burn 1g, you would know if its german dark. If you want I can give you the ebay dude which I got mine from.

#3 shadowpyro

shadowpyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hm i suppose it does depend much on where you bought it from. The stuff i got at 2micron(porous) is scary stuff, a little pile smaller than the size of my pinky nail goes off with a flumph!
Unless if it has something to do with mixing/particle size of your perchlorate?
(i'd suggest giving it a try with a confined test before going into conclusion just yet, though in a case like that where it works well in confined conditions i think you've prob been taken for a ride. In that the particle size of the Al probably isnt 2micron!)

Edited by shadowpyro, 04 March 2007 - 01:36 PM.

There is no such thing as failure, either learn or succeed!

#4 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hm i suppose it does depend much on where you bought it from. The stuff i got at 2micron(porous) is scary stuff, a little pile smaller than the size of my pinky nail goes off with a flumph!
Unless if it has something to do with mixing/particle size of your perchlorate?
(i'd suggest giving it a try with a confined test before going into conclusion just yet, though in a case like that where it works well in confined conditions i think you've prob been taken for a ride. In that the particle size of the Al probably isnt 2micron!)

Hi,
i screened my perc through a 80 mesh sreen ,then diapered in the aluminium,(70.30).I will test again just to make sure,if you could p.m me the details of your seller caramanalos i would appreciate it,
Vince.

#5 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

Your powder will most likely explode in confinement. I have made flash with al that doesnt burn in the open but explodes if confined. So dont use this as a measure. Its supposed to flash without having confinement. here is a vid of mine: http://s104.photobuc...BestFlash1g.flv

#6 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

Your powder will most likely explode in confinement. I have made flash with al that doesnt burn in the open but explodes if confined. So dont use this as a measure. Its supposed to flash without having confinement. here is a vid of mine: http://s104.photobuc...BestFlash1g.flv

Unuasual fuse caramanos, :D This eve i decided to give my alluminium powder another go,this time i passed it through a 80 mesh screen to fluff it up a bit.I then diapered well and made a small paper triangular envelope to put the half gram of comp in,this time it went of with a allmighty report.So i think i have got german dark and it will be perfect to break my crossettes, :D
vince.

#7 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

Its a bad idea to use a bit of paper to light flash! One day im sure you will get a burn, be very careful! Please dont post such ignition practices in future.

#8 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

You bet ya, sorry bout that. I use that for all my testes rather than visco.

#9 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:53 AM

You bet ya, sorry bout that. I use that for all my testes rather than visco.

Well... be careful not to burn your testes off, then !!!
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#10 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:29 AM

I have to admit Im the same I always choose paper over visco fuse when it comes to my testes....

#11 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

I use my blackmatch, its commercial and burns well. I dont think I would use paper to light anything. If im testing my blackpowder I use a strand of blackmatch about 12" long to give me time to get my hand out the way.

#12 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

I'll try to resist all references to testes, but touch paper is useful for testing loose compositions and it's worth having some to hand (why does that sound so rude...) If needed, twisting in a bit of meal at the end gives a good flame spread.

It burns reliably at a reasonably predictable rate of about 1 cm/s and is so cheap it is essentially free. Phil has a guide to making it here:

http://www.thegreenm...ects/bltou.html

Edited by BrightStar, 06 March 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#13 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'll try to resist all references to testes, but touch paper is useful for testing loose compositions and it's worth having some to hand (why does that sound so rude...)

:lol: Context... :lol:
You won't catch me twisting a bit of meal in at the end either.
:P

#14 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

GREAT link, good for small scale tests. Any clues if Stump remover kno3 is good enough?

#15 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

think i'll make some of that touch paper from the link,i love that stuff! and its so easy to make when you know how,thanks! hmm takes me back,but thats on another forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users