7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

You can check out the original post Here . But the question was pasted here.

I want to isolate potassium from KNO3, please help.?
Does anyone know what reaction I would need in order to remove potassium from potassium nitrate?

It is called salt pieter which I have some and I just need to know the solvents I would need and the reaction I would have to do to isolate the pure potassium.

I am trying to make KI and I already know how to get the Iodine I just need to get some potassium in order to mix with it.

Thanks for any help.

Jesus you're dumb. If only it was as easy to obtain pure K by solvent extraction from a salt.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

that's funny!
:lol:

#3 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Although extremely expensive, dangerous and tricky, hypothetically wouldn't it be possible to get K from KNO3. i.e. reducing to KOH then electrolysis molten in an inert antmosphere?
There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.

#4 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

Although extremely expensive, dangerous and tricky, hypothetically wouldn't it be possible to get K from KNO3. i.e. reducing to KOH then electrolysis molten in an inert antmosphere?

Er, yes, an old method uses electrolysis of molten KOH under shield layer of magnesite (MgCO3).
Not wet chemistry! :D

#5 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

Hehe, this guy think he sees UFO's.
I believe it is sky lanterns :D
http://www.metacafe....s_over_vietnam/
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hehe, this guy think he sees UFO's.
I believe it is sky lanterns :D
http://www.metacafe....s_over_vietnam/

Depending on what time of night it was, it could have been satellites, but these are pretty difficult to see where light pollution is bad and are not usually that bright. They are moving at the right speed, constant direction and don't move with respect to each other. It was probably the latest N.Korean missile test though... :lol:

If it is possible to find out exactly when it was taken, it would be very easy to see if there were any satellites over head at that time. They would have been to be pretty big ones though (with large solar panels).

Edited by Andrew, 04 April 2007 - 10:27 AM.

#7 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

That is definitely a flight of fire balloons drifting on the air currents above.

#8 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

I must admit, it`s rather refreshing to see a site clean of all "how do I make sodium" posts and the associated Kewlz and teeny bomerz that go with it! so Pat on Backs for the Staff and that really annoying Validation thingy :P

as for K prep, an amalgam done with KOH mercury and electrolysis to leave potassium amalgam and then displace with Lithium or Calcium metal is about as Viable for the home chemist as it gets.

what beats me is that When they get this stuff, the 1`st thing they do is Throw it back into Water! :lol:
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users