11 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:41 PM

Does anybody know where I can get Potassium Chloride. I know that it is a salt substitue but where can it be bought? How much will it cost and is there an online supplier to buy it from cheap?

Thanks

Stuart

[Edited on 22-7-2003 by Stuart]

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:08 PM

I have heard that some chemists (like Boots) sell this stuff under some sort of trade name for people that want to reduce conventional salt in their diet...

#3 BOBO

BOBO

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:33 PM

Funny i was looking for the same thing today. The lo-salt you can buy down the shops is 66% KCl if thats any help.

#4 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:10 AM

Thanks, I will look around

#5 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:52 PM

look in somerfield, thats where I buy mine from:)

#6 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Zanes

#7 The Messiah

The Messiah

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:05 PM

Bobo said the KCl he's found down the shops is 66% pure. Obviously 100% pure is the perfect ideal, but as pure substance is SO hard to find :mad: what percentage is the minimal best for the chemical to still have a good effect?

Does that make sense??:D

[Edited on 24-7-2003 by The Messiah]

#8 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:55 PM

It doesnt matter about the purity of the KCl. When you change the NaClO3 to KClO3, you are just swaping the Potassium ion for the Sodium ion. you could have 1% pure KCl and 1% pure NaClO3 and it wouldnt matter, you just wouldnt get that much. Click Here to find out how to make it. If you want to work out the correct values and have impurities in either, just ask and I will send you a calculator I made in Excel to work them out.

#9 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:22 PM

Originally posted by The Messiah
Bobo said the KCl he's found down the shops is 66%  pure.  Obviously 100% pure is the perfect ideal, but as pure substance is SO hard to find  :mad: what percentage is the minimal best for the chemical to still have a good effect?

Does that make sense??:D

[Edited on 24-7-2003 by The Messiah]

Lo salt will produce purity that is good enough for pyro purpose - the by-product of both bleaching and electrolysis is sodium hypochlorite that can be easily destroyed using boiling and potassium hydroxide.

There is another salt substitute that is called ?no salt? and that is almost pure potassium chloride. I seen it many time in the USA ? but I?m reasonably sure I seen it here as well ? still, you will need to remove any acids ? or your product will be dangerous to use.

I am not supplying the procedure on how this is done. I don?t think this is a good starting project for beginners, and those who want to pursue making chlorate will better do proper research first. A word of warning is that I hope you know what you are doing. While electrolysis is generally safe procedure ? using the resulting material without understanding what it might contain is not.

Those who want to make chemicals better start off with simpler procedures. For example making Sodium Oxalate from Sodium Carbonate and Oxalic Acid.

In any case ? STAY GREEN

BigG

#10 Guest_skinhead_88_*

Guest_skinhead_88_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 06:03 PM

i saw a design for an electrolysis cell somewhere on the net... i think the page is posted in this forum, however it looked pretty complicated to build, to anyone who knows thier stuff - is the complex cell necesarry or is there a simpler method?

#11 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:52 AM

Garden direct sell KCl at high(ish) purity. It's not in the catalog (its in a little footnote on the last page) You need to order over the phone and ask for it escpecially. It comes in 2kg and is fairly cheap.

Steve

Oh, and if you take at trip to France their sodium chlorate weedkiller is 99% NaClO3 - using these two makes making KClO3 of a good quality quite achivable.

#12 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 07:50 AM

Garden direct sell KCl at high(ish) purity. It's not in the catalog (its in a little footnote on the last page) You need to order over the phone and ask for it escpecially. It comes in 2kg and is fairly cheap.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users