• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 StevenRS

StevenRS

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

I was wondering, disregarding the cost of iodine, if one replaced the chlorine in a compound with iodine, would there be any significant differences? (increased reactivity, different colors, and other interesting things)

One step further, what about replacing chlorine with any of the halogens? Florine is insanely reactive, but this could be a problem, as it would be hard to break the bonds to start the reaction.
Ballistic

#2 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

One example that springs to mind is the energetic Teflon / Magnesium mix used in military flares. In this case, Fluorine is used as the main oxidiser...

From Conkling:

(C2F,,)n + 2n Mg -} 2n C + 2n MgF2 + heat

Whether halides could be used in place of the chlorides as colour producers and enhancers would be interesting. I would imagine that the bromides and iodides could be vaporised at lower temperatures - maybe good for blues?

#3 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

Just a word of warning, Iodine is one of those 'monitored' chemicals, becuase of it's use in making crystal meth. Purchase with care. There were quite a few members of this forum and elsewhere receiving a visit from the plod after buying Iodine or red phosphorus from kno3.com
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

If you are a fan of Brainiac, Peter Logans Exploding Paste is made with Iodine - don't think I'd recommend it though!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#5 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:40 PM

Nitrogen Triodide - and they make it look as a funny paste that is used for practical jokes, although it is really a dangerous and sensitive explosive. Braniac often has a lot of errors. Take the "alkaline ractions" for example.
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

social responsibility at its best...

#7 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

One legit use for iodine is testing for starch in your dextrin.

#8 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:38 AM

I had the unwanted attention from the DEA (drug enforcement agency) for ordering iodine, never will i order that stuff agen, when burned it makes a toxic purple smoke or mixed with amonia makes the triodoine stuff, but that is not in the scope of fireworks, was great for scaring the poo out of friends though, I made a very small batch and left it to dry on his basement floor.... insanely unstable stuff

#9 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

mumbles, Tell me about it. So far I've only heard of KI3

Edited by pudi.dk, 12 May 2007 - 02:46 PM.

Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#10 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:04 AM

Iodine itself makes a purple/blue complex with starch. The KI3 is more like K1*I2 in the sense that it dissolves I2 better. To test my dex I place a small scoop of the dex in a test tube with some water in the bottom, and add a few crystals of the I2. I shake it vigorously for a few minutes. I use straight starch as a control to test against. I usually get a very slight reaction, but not very much. Doing against the control, I'd say less that 5%. Using an iodine tinture would probably be better as the I2 is all dissolved and would react imediatly without all the shaking I have to do now.

#11 Strobe

Strobe

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Just curious, are there other pyro chems that might draw unwanted attention aside from RP and Iodine? I dont have any interest in either of those since they dont seem to be used much for modern fireworks, but the several comments I saw about visits from the authorities made me wonder. I'm interested from a U.S. point of view but perhaps others would want to know what to avoid in the U.K or elsewhere.

#12 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Only one i can think of at the moment is Red Phosphorous, in pyo its can be used for friction igniters for flares etc but it is also used in drug manufacturing

#13 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

"apart from RP and iodine"

Only one i can think of at the moment is Red Phosphorous, in pyo its can be used for friction igniters for flares etc but it is also used in drug manufacturing

Hehe.

Penteretherol(sp) and vast quantities of ammonium nitrate when you don't own a farm would raise eyebrows. Whether or not the applications of these are "pyro" is debateable.

#14 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:59 PM

"apart from RP and iodine"
Hehe.
Penteretherol(sp) and vast quantities of ammonium nitrate when you don't own a farm would raise eyebrows. Whether or not the applications of these are "pyro" is debateable.

Ammonium nitrate is used quite a bit for making Rocket propellants as far as i know, may not be "pyro" as such but "model rocketry"

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

I've seen a few lists of 'watched chemicals' and didn't take much notice as they listed most of the common pyro oxidisers...

Things that stand out from memory include: Gallic acid, a few Lithium salts, Lactose and Dextrose (no idea why but I'm sure they were there), various solvents including MEK, Acetone and DSMO, and Mg powder. I have ordered most of the above and have not received any negative attention for it, whether or not I'm on any lists ; )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users