• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:41 AM

Yep - helicopters, aeroplanes, vampire bats and other spinners were very erratic and no-one could predict where they would go. But luckily I never had any mishaps with them - maybe because I always launched them from a piece of plywood at the end of the backgarden where there were no trees or walls. They were spectacular though, for both the eye and the ear. The unique whirlling sound they made as they spiralled up in a mad rush of corkscrewing sparks was something I keenly loved as a boy back in the seventies. They quickly expired after reaching roof-height and their smouldering bodies always came tumbling down nearby (usually in the neighbours garden). They invariably took off at an angle to the perpendicular. Only once do I remember watching a helicopter rise perfectly vertically and then fall down to land almost on its plywood platform. Jumping Jacks were also a lot of fun and came in many different sizes. My family Guy Fawkes celebrations always included them and as far as I can recall no-one ever felt particularly threatened by these little devices. Of course they jumped about, fizzled, spluttered and popped, but part of the fun was dodging them as they zig-zagged back and forth across the courtyard. Dangerous? Unsafe? Poppycock! We children were more at risk from our neighbour's Pekingese snapping at our heels.

#17 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

Talking of wild crazy helicopters :wacko:

Brock's Fireworks - Fiery Whirlwind

Brock's Fireworks - Polar Whirlwind

Brock's Fireworks - Vampire Bat

Wilder's Fireworks - Helicopter

Wilder's Fireworks - Space Wheel

Lets just call this section banned fireworks!!

Anyone remember Flyers!! :D

#18 nimbus2

nimbus2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

Great photos Firefiend - some of those spinning flyers I recognise with a singular intensity that other recollections of my youth lack. How sad it is that these old familiar whirligigs are banned and obsolete. Fireworks do indeed seem to possess a peculiar power to not only light up the skies but also to emboss life with memories that are so permanent and uniquely detailed they live with us all our lives, despite how strange they may seem to others.

#19 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

"Fireworks do indeed seem to possess a peculiar power to not only light up the skies but also to emboss life with memories that are so permanent and uniquely detailed they live with us all our lives, despite how strange they may seem to others."

Great description. Whilst I really enjoy watching modern fireworks go off, they do not provide me with the same great memories as the old ones. There was also the huge build up to Bonfire Night, which everyone at the time seemed to participate in and now seems to be missing. In the 70s I remember watching out in mid-September for the first posters which signalled the onset of many weeks of small-scale buying of fireworks, following by the 'big night'. We occassionally lit one or two prior to this, but that was as far as it went. Initial sign that the season was here for me, was usually an Astra 'Wise Guys' poster in a small shop about half a mile from me. The owner was an old lady who used to fill two huge cabinets with boxes of tiny Astra fireworks. The cabinets virtually took over the shop and when opened gave off a unique smell which I associated with fireworks at the time. Perhaps the words 'light blue touchpaper' also had something to do with it. :mellow:

Edited by Firefiend, 02 June 2007 - 07:26 AM.

#20 Farnet

Farnet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

"Fireworks do indeed seem to possess a peculiar power to not only light up the skies but also to emboss life with memories that are so permanent and uniquely detailed they live with us all our lives, despite how strange they may seem to others."

Great description. Whilst I really enjoy watching modern fireworks go off, they do not provide me with the same great memories as the old ones. There was also the huge build up to Bonfire Night, which everyone at the time seemed to participate in and now seems to be missing. In the 70s I remember watching out in mid-September for the first posters which signalled the onset of many weeks of small-scale buying of fireworks, following by the 'big night'. We occassionally lit one or two prior to this, but that was as far as it went. Initial sign that the season was here for me, was usually an Astra 'Wise Guys' poster in a small shop about half a mile from me. The owner was an old lady who used to fill two huge cabinets with boxes of tiny Astra fireworks. The cabinets virtually took over the shop and when opened gave off a unique smell which I associated with fireworks at the time. Perhaps the words 'light blue touchpaper' also had something to do with it. :mellow:

FireFiend that is exactly what I remember, we used to have a toyshop in Guernsey (which sadly doesn't exist anymore) that used to convert all of his glass cabinets to the usage of containing fireworks 2 weeks before 5th Nov. The smell was the most amazing thing.

The modern cakes are fantastic, but I do miss the smell of the old fireworks before they were lit. We used to snip a bit of touchpaper off all the fireworks and keep it for 'other' activities, ok yes I'm a closet touchpaper sniffer :rolleyes:

Back to these oldies, I assume with all you guys knowledge you could replicate some of the now banned fireworks... As when I get going, I'm game to experiment and try and get liftoff, it'd make quite a cool little project.

Edited by Farnet, 02 June 2007 - 07:48 AM.

Everything is poisonous if taken in the extreme.

Take time for example, have too much of it and you will eventually die....

#21 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

Back to these oldies, I assume with all you guys knowledge you could replicate some of the now banned fireworks... As when I get going, I'm game to experiment and try and get liftoff, it'd make quite a cool little project.

Buzz-b**bs, tourbillions, and other spinning devices are relatively quick and easy to throw together. They're great for a quick pyro fix!

Here are my first attempts at buzz-b**bs.

I'm too young to remember any of the banned items, but I did manage to get my hands on THIS lot while in Austria. They were amongst the novelty spirits and sweets at the checkout of the local SPAR!

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 02 June 2007 - 02:15 PM.

#22 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

do they have a choke maybe angled ? or is it a end burner with twisted card wings? are u useing a rocket type comp?they look great!!!! very interesting

#23 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

I've seen lots of old fired ones from when they were available in the 70s and they are just a tube with rocket? composition in, plugged at both ends. The composition probably only filled half the tube, if that. The just have a small hole in the tube, angled down at about 45 degrees to the ground. Into this goes a piece of black-match, which was ignited by the touchpaper. The paper wings are just stapled to the underside of the tube. Some of the more elaborate Pain's ones has plastic wings with little paddles on the end - difficult to describe unless you have seen one.

Brilliant buzz-b**bs creepin pyro. :D

Edited by Firefiend, 02 June 2007 - 07:22 PM.

#24 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Thanks FireFiend : P

do they have a choke maybe angled ? or is it a end burner with twisted card wings? are u useing a rocket type comp?they look great!!!! very interesting

Alan's page has some nice diagrams of spinning devices. Have a look at the 'helicopters':

http://www.vk2zay.net/article.php/16

I used lolly sticks for stabilisation. You can try to retard nozzle erosion with waterglass, but I like to use the tapered nozzle method. These kind of things generally use relatively fast meal, to keep thrust high, with a few % of metal added for effect.

#25 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Thanks FireFiend : P
Alan's page has some nice diagrams of spinning devices. Have a look at the 'helicopters':

http://www.vk2zay.net/article.php/16

I used lolly sticks for stabilisation. You can try to retard nozzle erosion with waterglass, but I like to use the tapered nozzle method. These kind of things generally use relatively fast meal, to keep thrust high, with a few % of metal added for effect.

thanks !!!!! just checked out alans page and its mouthwatering very good diagrams and text :) it will keep me busy for a long time

#26 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

whats is the "tapered nozzle method?"

#27 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

whats is the "tapered nozzle method?"

Posted Image
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#28 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

ohh i see,very clever idea! thanks frozentech!

#29 StevenRS

StevenRS

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

Good way to make jumping jacks-- Jumping Crackers
Ballistic

#30 johndee

johndee

UKPS Secretary

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Great post, very easy to follow instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users