19 replies to this topic

#16 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

If you're using acid cored flux, make sure any residue is completely washed off after you've soldered the joint, otherwise when you come to fire your igniter you may well find the thin wire has been eaten through :) I've wondered in the past whether the following might be possible :-

Wrap wire round PCB as usual
Protect the bit of nichrome that's going to do the igniting with a thin layer of varnish (preferably something that won't impede the ignition, or strip the varnish later with a solvent).
Dip the whole lot in a copper plating bath for a few seconds to plate the exposed nichrome.
Solder normally.

Might not be worth the effort though.

This is done in the industry as well! I´ve got an patent pdf where such a method is described!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#17 rr22

rr22

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Talking about NiChrome wire, is there a online shop useful for buying the stuff? I have som 0,2 mm wire but it is way too thick for a goog and fast e-match.

I got mine here, http://www.mutr.co.u...a...amp;x=0&y=0
no idea if I got ripped off!

#18 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

As I put in the buying chemicals post Ive some 40swg (0.122mm) wire available and want to get some 44swg (0.081mm) too so Ill be able to suply that too.

Have a look at my webpage under hardware and its there.

#19 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

plumbers merchants supply an active chemical flux called powerflow flux in a yellow pot but as posted you must wash residue off after soldering or everything turns green and starts to rot . Residue very soluble in hot water so no probs .bakers fluid was originally used in the sheet metal industry it is the ideal flux for soldering steel sheets. Bakers fluid is dilute hydrocloric acid hence the nice fumes as you solder. Thanks for excellent posting of mass production using double sided pcb . richard nakkas rocketry site has an excellent chapter on producing igniters . ive had 100% success with the christmas tree bulb method he describes dont forget after chrismas to buy up the cheap left over bulb sets for this purpose .FREE FLUX if you are coming to midlands meeet up on 15 dec bring a pot- ive a very large pot of powerflow flux and a plastic spoon!!! winter nights are a great time to sit and build enjoy!!
protodezine@gmail.com

#20 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

They seem like very good value indeed - although I'd like to know who the maufacturer of them is, and subsequently how they perform.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users