24 replies to this topic

#16 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

try this: 75 kc104/10 sulfur/7.5 airfloat charcoal/7.5 pine charcoal:rammed of course 4mm nozzel 27mm ID 110 mm length got at least 600 meter flight with a 6 second burn.Used beleive it or not cia method no ball mill.Spindle the entire length till the delay.Carried a 2 inch hemi fp!

sounds dangerous to me, if ever i am loadind a rocket with KCL04 i only press it , and behind a 10mm polycarbonate screen,( with my eyes closed and teeth clenched even, )
how many have you done ? i would think you are setting you self up for at least a cato with a 4mm diameter nozzle in a 27mm id tube, due to inconsistent compaction resulting in a weak grain and very restricted gas discharge, and heaven forbid an accident whilst ramming,,
do you have access to a press ? if not it would be a worthy investment in your rocket building,,.
what do you use for you nozzle ?

Edited by phill 63, 12 March 2009 - 10:59 AM.

#17 jeffrocket55

jeffrocket55

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Something you might like to fiddle with is this mix I came up with:

KClO4 72
Atomised aluminium (fine) 4
Fe2O3 1
Polyester resin 23

Slowish burning (would have to be a core burner) but quite fierce. Seems to need a slight excess of catalyst to get it to set hard.

do you ram comps with kc104 or press

#18 jeffrocket55

jeffrocket55

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

sounds dangerous to me, if ever i am loadind a rocket with KCL04 i only press it , and behind a 10mm polycarbonate screen,( with my eyes closed and teeth clenched even, )
how many have you done ? i would think you are setting you self up for at least a cato with a 4mm diameter nozzle in a 27mm id tube, due to inconsistent compaction resulting in a weak grain and very restricted gas discharge, and heaven forbid an accident whilst ramming,,
do you have access to a press ? if not it would be a worthy investment in your rocket building,,.
what do you use for you nozzle ?

thanks no more of it will get proper tooling no ramming I like my fingers clay

#19 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

thanks no more of it will get proper tooling no ramming I like my fingers clay

Good to hear... how about plain ol' Bp rockets, you can use the cia method, less worry during ramming and you can get great thrust, a good size core on you 27mm id tube would be 7---> 8 mm, about 3" long

#20 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

do you ram comps with kc104 or press

The mixture is a fairly soft paste, I just loaded it with GENTLE hand pressure on a plastic drift.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#21 jeffrocket55

jeffrocket55

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Good to hear... how about plain ol' Bp rockets, you can use the cia method, less worry during ramming and you can get great thrust, a good size core on you 27mm id tube would be 7---> 8 mm, about 3" long

thanks just got my 600 meters from a rcandy small 5 inch tube 27mm ID bp delay got it on my youtube page not bad,mixed in antimony trisulfide to get alot of sparks

#22 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

thanks just got my 600 meters from a rcandy small 5 inch tube 27mm ID bp delay got it on my youtube page not bad,mixed in antimony trisulfide to get alot of sparks

That sounds much safer , "and cheaper" for the same end result,

what colour iron oxide do you use as the catalyst, it is said that yellow iron oxide gives more power than red, but having used both of these i really didn't see any difference

#23 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

brown iron oxide is said to give Superior results

#24 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Tried the perc/resorcinol resin (Weldwood/Cascophen) last week, goes well, though the flames seems to be quite cool, looked like the aluminium was burning in the exhaust rather than inside the flame. I guess this might be due to the amount of water that's trapped in the cured resin, be careful of shrinkage if you're using a water permeable tube and keeping the motor for a long time.

Edited by pyrotrev, 15 March 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#25 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

interesting, what size motor, and would it have enough power to lift a heading?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users