30 replies to this topic

#16 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

Its on a peg drying now, looks kinda ugly because the only tape i had was red electrical tape.

#17 Dan123

Dan123

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

i made some using BP and some using Balsa H3, both make quite a nice report.

#18 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

http://krimzonpyro.c...es/polumna.html Thats a much more detailed "manual" on how to make them. I sometimes use them if I´m bored and want a quick&dirty bang :) No hassle finding a proper tube, end caps and so on!

Can be impressively loud even with (good) black powder. With low-pitched report compositions (nitrate based!) they rock!

Edited by paul, 03 July 2007 - 05:45 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#19 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

Gummed paper works well for a finish instead of electrical tape, and gives a nice plain look.
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#20 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

i made some using BP and some using Balsa H3, both make quite a nice report.

hmm, sorry going off topic here h3?,looked it up found out what it is and how to make it, how does it compare to bp as a lift powder,and more interesting why and how did get its name h3?

#21 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

I wonder if one could go about making a KNO3/Sugar report out of this.

Doing the "impossible" - you know?...

Otherwise...

The actual correct term is Paloma, which is spanish for dove.

There's no suprise there. I have known for years that doves spontaneously explode.

Edited by MDH, 04 July 2007 - 08:32 PM.

#22 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

"H3" refers to the composition composing of three parts Hemp charcoal for every ten parts Potassium chlorate. However that is certainly not the only ratio used, and nor does everyone use Hemp coal, though I am sure half of the pot smoking pyros have tried. This is similar to the naming of Chrysanthemum 6 and 8 where the number refers to the parts of charcoal per ten of Potassium nitrate. As far as using H3 as lift goes the difference would be that with H3 there would be alot more burst mortars and flowerpotting shells!

MHD, the "Impossable" can easily be done by making a nice 3lb teleflite coreburner with a 5mm wide core, I can assure you! The only way I have succeeded in making anything that works remotely like a jumping jack was by lighting a string of palomas glued together.

Edited by seymour, 05 July 2007 - 01:22 AM.

The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#23 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

Wow these things are nice, just made one with my first ever batch of green mix and it made a not too loud bang, I'd imagine it would rock with high quality black powder.
>> Status: General Testing

#24 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

Another popular device in mexico uses about 200-300 milligrams of black powder half way through a paper tube and crimps the ends rock solid, so you may want to try black powder with that too.

#25 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

MDH: Do you have the name for this, or any useful links? Sounds simple and fun.

Back on-topic I made a few of these and I can say that the tutorial is a bit overcomplicated. I skipped the glue so I could use them straight away and they work fine. I havn't tried the ones without any duct tape yet, I'll try and get a video when I use them.

Picture: (click to enlarge)
Posted Image

Edited by RangerOfFire, 08 July 2007 - 11:27 AM.

#26 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

Well - I don't have a link (but I DO remember reading it) - These fellows in Mexico used to make a black powder out of 50 grams of potassium nitrate, 25 grams of slightly brown hazelnut charcoal, and 25 grams of sulphur, leaving it to be crushed for several hours with a dabble of water.

Leaving it in a very fine powder, they would put it inside of a rolled up paper tube and crimp one end, filling the item up. They'd then stick a fuse in and crimp the end with the fuse coming out.

Casually wrapping string over the tube so the crimps wouldn't come loose, they'd light the fuses and casually walk away from the scene...

#27 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

MDH: Do you have the name for this, or any useful links? Sounds simple and fun.

Back on-topic I made a few of these and I can say that the tutorial is a bit overcomplicated. I skipped the glue so I could use them straight away and they work fine. I havn't tried the ones without any duct tape yet, I'll try and get a video when I use them.

Picture: (click to enlarge)
Posted Image

nice! cant wait to see them have you tested any yet ? i made a bp one this afternoon,the large visco fuse i was using made it spin around on the hard surface it was on!that was the best part!it all went wrong after that,just a small thump :( never mind testing a 2g flash triangle out tonight should be better! while aim out going to see if my 3/4 bp core burner can get of the bleedin ground this time,hope so because i kind of broke my home made rocket tooling(bent spindle dont ask) :(

#28 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

I did take a video yesterday but converting it to flash and uploading it took a bit of time. Its temporary address is:

pyro.rof.me.uk/wrapper.html

I'll see about doing more tomorrow maybe and experimenting with amounts/different comps. And yes, it spins around on a hard surface, I was using flying fish fuse. It also sounds a lot louder in real life than on camera.

Edited by RangerOfFire, 08 July 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#29 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

finally tested mine, had to go find a nice spot where no one was around (i dont like letting off ground explosives). Had a nice loud 'crack' sound to it and was loud enough to make a nice echo. Ill make some more ;)

#30 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

ranger of fire, try using DivX flash player, even if you dont prefer it, I'm sure the people watching your videos will ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users