40 replies to this topic

#1 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:51 AM

A friend has requested that I come up with a better then usual formula. The ordinary published variety will not do. Anything out of the ordinary will be appreciated. Show a good ole Georgia boy just how wonderful the Brits can be.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:55 AM

How about a Senko Hanabi sparkler? These are excellent. A freind brought some back from the PGI convention last year.

These contain a sulphur-rich composition which produces a hot bead of dross. This dross moves slowly down the sparkler and throws out gold branching sparks. (from the iron powder contained in the lower part of the sparkler) Really beautiful effect.

#3 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:27 AM

There is a real good chance he has something like this. He's an experienced tech and seems to have a knack for smaller items.

Have you ever seen those whistling sparklers? They shoot out little tiny stars too. Darndest thing. Had a gal screem and hold it out as far as her arm would go when it started to sing. I had to take it from her so she didn't crap her pants. Guess she wasn't expecting all that. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Anything goes. If it looks interesting to you and you go through the trouble of posting it I will pass it along. Thanks.

#4 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:57 PM

Well if you dont have alot of time on your hands or oxidiser ,i have plenty of the first but less of the latter. then get some tissue and thick paper (A4 printing paper is best) coat the paper in petrolleum jelly,(Vaseline) roll it in fine-coarse charcoal and leave it on the side. Now put a slow burning fuse in the middle of the tissue roll it up ove the thick paper and repeat as above.

If done correctly it should look very black,because of all the charcoal you now may want to add a handle. I personnaly light this when i do a ground display with my friends using a piece of dryed NC lacquer (the ping pong type) as this produces alot of heat.

Please could you review this and deem it worthy of going on my website wich will be up shortly. If any one wants to write any tutorials for anything pyro please email it to me at mynameisphil@msn.com.

This will probably not interest you or your friend but seen as i have very little resources it keeps me very content.:D

Edited by spawned, 05 April 2004 - 03:00 PM.

HHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRREEEES JOHNNY!!

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:05 PM

How bizarre. Could you please stop posting meaningless stuff like this. If you don't have access to rather basic chemicals, which to be honest are not exactly challenging to find, then I suggest you perhaps join a forum not related to pyro.

#6 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

:(

#7 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

spawned, i used to be in exactly the same position, no oxidiser, no devices, no nothing, but if you really really need it badly then i can point you in the right direction.
The fertilisers FeedAll made by Westland and WonderGro, a Wilko brand, have KNO3 in them, anything up to 60%. It can be easily separated using basic crystallization and centrifuge techniques.
Where are the matches?

#8 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

Anyhow im doing one tonight so i might tape some soon and prove you wrong.

#9 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:28 PM

Hi spawned

Plase excuse me while I 'chip' into your conflab.

Think about what you are doing.

Why are you doing it?

Are you safe? Are both people and prorperty secure from accidents?

Are you behaving in a responsible way?

What are you trying to achieve here?

We wait, dare I say, with baited breath for your most anticipated reply.

Cheers!
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#10 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:06 AM

Spawned....your an ass!

No just kidding, I just felt like jumping on the bandwagon.
who's to say it doesn't work if its never been tried?
I've gotten my thrills with lesser things.

I don't think telling anyone your going to prove them wrong is going to get you any respect. I can tell you if you film it I will give it a look, but not till then can anyone tell you what they think, as it doesn't 'look' like to much fun.

I don't see the harm in this, especially not that getting more chemicals is going to help just take care where you light these. I don't know what your Vaseline does, you might try melted wax? Are you getting branching sparks from this, what's your effect?
I've gotten nice actual branching sparks just burning unconverted grape charcoal.

One last thing I could add to make your visit a little more pleasant is to ask more before you tell.
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#11 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

Yeah ive done that from now on , i have made myself some Al flake if anyone has any sugestions of what i could do with this tell me .

I tried the 'sparkler' and it gave off a nice sound, smell and sparks but i am very tempted to add the Al to this.

BTW: i have some potassium sulphate and used this as an oxidiser in my last 'sparkler' it worked great because of the heat of the item in question.

Oh and Rhodri i follow all of those.

Edited by spawned, 06 April 2004 - 08:30 AM.

#12 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

What about.

Is there already a way of producing this effect? Do you think that it is done that way for a reason?

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#13 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Bernie, have you tried Dan Williams SuperSparklers

I have to admit I haven't, but I've always wanted to Maybe this is something your friend would like to try

#14 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:40 AM

I do not know why this effect in sparklers is only produced by that method but as i have not the means to replicate this i do not see any problem with doing it the wayi do.

#15 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

I just tested two more sparklers one with Al one without, the Al seemed to burn up too fast to produce sparks but the second was the nicest yet and burnt for about 5 mins, i am goin to test another tonight or save it for austria where i will be able to film it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users