#1 F-N-G

F-N-G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:15 PM

Hello all
I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to pyro but i have a ? about primacord
i know if you lite it, it will burn very slow but how do you get it to go off? with a BC?
and what is it a made of

thanks for the help

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by Richard H]

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:20 PM

This forum does not permit the discussion of high explosives outside the scope of special effects. You were made aware of this in our EUA when you joined.

A similar question was asked on rec.pyrotechnics recently. Ask there. Alternatively ask at alt.engr.explosives

#3 F-N-G

F-N-G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:24 PM

Oh ok sorry, that was me to, but i still would like to know more about it
sorry

#4 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 08:53 PM

You are a FNG indeed! If you did a search on the internet (www.google.com - give it a whirl!) then you will be able to answer your question.

As Richard said, this isnt the place to discuss Primacord (Detcord etc). You'll need to be lucky to get it to burn with a match or lighter, not something to try anyway on the offchance (probably 1000000/1) that it detonates from flame. It will burn if you put it on a fire (ie if you need to dispose of it), but the way to use it is to initiate it with a detonator/blasting cap (running the length of the cord). It is commonly made using PETN/RDX in a plastic/wax/resin woven wrapper. If you searched in the first place then you would probably have found this out.

#5 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:41 PM

consider yourself poked in the eye.:lol:

#6 F-N-G

F-N-G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:51 PM

I did look on the net for it and No i did not find it....Why are all you guys assholes to new guys?:flames:

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 03:08 PM

Adam, Could you grab another stick? :lol:

#8 Nick

Nick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:35 PM

That's very strange, I just got 1190 results for "primacord" on google. Some of these contained reference to another common name, "detcord," which gave a further 472 results. Using google's suggestion of searching for "det cord" gave a further EIGHTEEN THOUSAND AND SIX HUNDRED results.

And you say you couldn't find the answer to your question?!
I think that must have been a typo. What he meant to say was "I'm a lazy b*st*rd and want you to hand me the answer to my irrelevant question on a silver platter."

(To everyone except F-N-G: sorry about ranting guys, but F-N-G is clearly just lazy and couldn't be bothered to look for an answer, and that annoys me.)

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:40 PM

Exactly! It needed saying.

#10 F-N-G

F-N-G

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:01 PM

I still cant find whats its made of.......so stop the crying

#11 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:43 PM

Look, Prima cord is simply a fabric woven tube filled with PETN or RDX. Thats all it is.

#12 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:43 PM

Originally posted by adamw
You are a FNG indeed! If you did a search on the internet (www.google.com - give it a whirl!) then you will be able to answer your question.

As Richard said, this isnt the place to discuss Primacord (Detcord etc). You'll need to be lucky to get it to burn with a match or lighter, not something to try anyway on the offchance (probably 1000000/1) that it detonates from flame. It will burn if you put it on a fire (ie if you need to dispose of it), but the way to use it is to initiate it with a detonator/blasting cap (running the length of the cord.)It is commonly made using PETN/RDX in a plastic/wax/resin woven wrapper. If you searched in the first place then you would probably have found this out.

geez, read the f****** replies you get. Clearly you are another kewl.
PETN is a explosive, ie. it detonates, not deflagerates rapidly as in bp or meal powder.
RDX is an ingredient in many explosives, though I can't remember it's reactivity in its normal (pure) state. I think it just deflagerates, though I'm not sure.

#13 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:19 PM

You really need to brush up on your search skills, and your respect too. I dont have these 5 stars for nothing you know!

Oh here's something interesting: First result for seach "Primacord composition" on Google:

http://www.gunnies.p...rds/explrep.pdf

Which tells you:

"Cordtex and Primacord (Detonating Cord) Cordtex and Primacord are both names for the same product. They are essentially a tube with a core of Penta-erythri-tetranitrate (PETN)"

That was hard!!!!

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by adamw]

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by adamw]

#14 Guest_skinhead_88_*

Guest_skinhead_88_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2003 - 02:18 PM

zanes, rdx can detonate in a pure state... C-4 and the british P-4 are just an rdx base desensitised with plasticisers
RDX = Royal Demolitions eXplosive
Ameri-speak rdx = cyclonite

#15 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 04:05 PM

Ok, thats enough for this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users