• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'am not sure this is new but it has been in my head for a long time. I was thinking of two wheel drivers on a long stick and two wheels on the middle of the long stick. So the two drivers spin it like a normal wheel and the two middle ones spin in the middle. Has anyone tried this. Also do any of you think this will work. Also from bonny post I will have details on how to make it, if I get around to it.

Thank you

Edited by pyroman89, 01 August 2007 - 09:08 PM.

too signature your as this put, twice this in backwards word the saw you because backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

#2 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

I'am not sure this is new but it has been in my head for a long time. I was thinking of two wheel drivers on a long stick and two wheels on the middle of the long stick. So the two drivers spin it like a normal wheel and the two middle ones spin in the middle. Has anyone tried this. Also do any of you think this will work.

Thank you

I'm sure you'll get some good responses, but I think it would work, and should produce a really nice effect. Make sure to include construction details as I would like to try something like this someday.

#3 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

If I'm thinking of what you are thinking, it's done before:
http://www.creagan.n...rks/wheels.html

If not, could you explain it to me better, please?

Edited by pudi.dk, 01 August 2007 - 09:39 PM.

Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#4 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thank you that is what I was talking about. I still will try it. I thought it would have a better effect.

Edited by pyroman89, 01 August 2007 - 09:47 PM.

too signature your as this put, twice this in backwards word the saw you because backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

#5 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

I'am not sure this is new but it has been in my head for a long time. I was thinking of two wheel drivers on a long stick and two wheels on the middle of the long stick. So the two drivers spin it like a normal wheel and the two middle ones spin in the middle. Has anyone tried this. Also do any of you think this will work. Also from bonny post I will have details on how to make it, if I get around to it.

Thank you

:lol: I'v been sitting on this idea for couple of month myself,but the other way round,with drivers in the middle and the "independent" wheels at each end.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#6 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

:lol: I'v been sitting on this idea for couple of month myself,but the other way round,with drivers in the middle and the "independent" wheels at each end.

I was thinking of that way but I think the drivers would be more powerful on the outsides of the stick. If you use powerful drivers in the middle it might work. Remember the drivers in the middle need to be fast and powerfull. If you put the drivers on the outside you could use a slow propellant, maybe even greenmix (But not that good of a effect).

Edited by pyroman89, 02 August 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#7 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

I was thinking of that way but I think the drivers would be more powerful on the outsides of the stick. If you use powerful drivers in the middle it might work. Remember the drivers in the middle need to be fast and powerfull. If you put the drivers on the outside you could use a slow propellant, maybe even greenmix (But not that good of a effect).

I totally agree,but with regards to the effect,i think it would be best placing the wheels on the outside.You could add 5-10%Al to the drivers aswel for added effect.

I'm going to push my idea forward an start experimenting :). Please keep us up to date pyroman89,if you do build one.

dean

#8 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

I totally agree,but with regards to the effect,i think it would be best placing the wheels on the outside.You could add 5-10%Al to the drivers aswel for added effect.

I'm going to push my idea forward an start experimenting :). Please keep us up to date pyroman89,if you do build one.

dean

I agree it would make a better effect with the wheels on the outside. I think I will try both wheels on the inside and outside.
The video on http://www.creagan.n...rks/wheels.html would probly be better if the stand was higher off the ground. Portfire any thoughts on what comp to use for the drivers. I would prefer something potassum nitrate based because I dont have alot of chems. I would also like something without metals because the only metals I can get is sparkler grade steel, iron or zinc. Also when my friend gets the potassium nitrate for me I will try to get pics and a vid of the device. If I cant get any pics or a vid I will post how I made mine and how well it worked

#9 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

I think the key here is having the wheel spin slow,say around 100rpm,so it's possible to see the smaller wheels function.With regards to the drivers i'm thinking 75/15/10 and playing with milling time to obtain desired thrust and speed of rotation.

I think the first step would be to build the smaller wheels first to get an idea of weight,burn time etc,then build the frame that's going to carry the wheels/drivers and weight each end to match that of the wheels,so you can dial the drivers in.

dean

#10 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:05 PM

You could also experiment with the drivers positions. For example if you place them 90 degrees you will get the fastest spin, but if you rotate them you will get the same thrust and effect, but slower rpm.
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#11 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

With regards to the drivers i'm thinking 75/15/10 and playing with milling time to obtain desired thrust and speed of rotation.

dean

I think 75/15/10 would be to hot of a propellant. I think I will try a slow bp mix with added steel. I also say that the wheel should spin a bit faster then the drivers because on the video it does not look like the wheels are even spining. So I say fast bp with added effect and slow bp with added effect. Pudi thats a good point. I think I will try some experimenting with the devices.

#12 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

I think 75/15/10 would be to hot of a propellant. I think I will try a slow bp mix with added steel. I also say that the wheel should spin a bit faster then the drivers because on the video it does not look like the wheels are even spining. So I say fast bp with added effect and slow bp with added effect. Pudi thats a good point. I think I will try some experimenting with the devices.

The first few wheels i made used 75/15/10 greenmix with good results,but your probably.It would be interesting to see everything spinning at the same speed,which i think thats going to be my goal.

The last wheel i made had the drivers set at 30 degrees,i like the spiraling effect it produces,so my go down this path aswel.
Heres a pic.
Posted Image

Two smaller virsions of this wheel on each end maybe.

dean

#13 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Portfire nice wheel. You said you want everything spinning the same speed but I think I want the wheels going a bit faster then the drivers. I think I will use greenmix but with fast charcoal and added steel. I say fast charcoal because greenmix is slow and the charcoal will hopefully add the right amount of power to the greenmix. I 'am going to build the stand around 4 1/2 to 5 feet off the ground. I will try to get some pics of the device if I can get my camera to work.

#14 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:56 PM

Thanx pyroman89.Vid here http://video.google....289306391673509
The quickmatch failed but i'v changed my prosess for making blackmatch since,so shouldn't have that problem again.

I'v rolled enough tubes today for testing and the actual wheel,so should be testing the small wheels this weekend.It's going to be interesting to see this wheel built by two people :)

dean

#15 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Nice but to bad the quickmatch failed also your not the only one with failing quickmatch. As for tubes I got my order of tubes from pyrocreations today so time to start experimenting. But I need to roll some tubes for the wheels. Only problem is I can never roll tubes good so I have been making a tube rolling machine so I need to finish that off first before I can do some testing. Happy testing :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users