39 replies to this topic

#16 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:56 PM

Well hopefully QM failure is a thing of the past thanx to BrightStars method (well Weingart's)

http://www.pyrosocie.......=1879&st=45 post 52

I may have to write a small tutorial on how i roll tubes,i'v almost got it down to a fine art,they dont need cutting and they look pro (almost,if not) everytime :P Although it's tedious,i love rolling tubes :rolleyes:

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#17 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

That would be great if you could get a tutorial on how to make paper tubes. The only way I make paper tubes is the way it is done in the book Amateur Rocket Motor Construction by David Sleeter. The way he does it he makes his glue with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of Elmers white glue and coats the paper with it on both sides. When he is ready to roll his tubes he dampens it with a sponge soaked in 1/2 cup water and 1 cup rubbing alcohol. It is a nice way of making tubes but the glue is very sticky so if you make a mistake or it rolls to much on one side then you will need to start all over. Also if anyone use this method I would sugest wraping your dowel in waxed paper. Just to let you know the book can be bought at www.pyrocreations.com. I look at BrightStars method of making Quickmatch hopefully this will help me. :)
too signature your as this put, twice this in backwards word the saw you because backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'v found that adding to much water to the glue makes the tubes crinkle when drying.I only add a small amount (i mean small) just to make it easier to apply.There's also some other tricks,but i'll try and put together a tutorial this weekend (maybe with some video clips to get some points across) so i can go into more detail.

I'll just add that when i make blackmatch i won't use the whole string,but painstakingly take 4-5 strands of cotton out,then follow the procedure mentioned earlier,it's more time consuming but makes a well impregnated match.

dean

#19 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

That would be great if you could get a tutorial on it. Also there doesnt seem to be a problem with the glue because the tubes come out fine but I just can't roll that good.

Edited by pyroman89, 03 August 2007 - 08:35 PM.

too signature your as this put, twice this in backwards word the saw you because backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

#20 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

Here is my first wheel. It was made using 4- 1/2" ID drivers 3" long and no choke. 2 drivers contained fountain mix and 2 contained 70/30 perc/sodium benz whistle + 5% Ti. I don't think the Ti lit, maybe a catalyst needed in whistle? I did not protect fuses enough and all driver lit at once. Drivers were mounted on a 3/16" x 1" x 12" paint mixing stick from hardware store.

#21 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Nice but one question is that one of the wheels that we are talking about or is it a normal wheel?

#22 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

Nice but one question is that one of the wheels that we are talking about or is it a normal wheel?

Just a normal wheel...have to start somewhere. didn't know where else to post. 12" wheels like this would probably be ok on each end of a "new wheel", just need a very large main wheel and drivers. Might be a little early for me to start on a large wheel just yet, but we'll see.

#23 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Excellent first wheel bonny.I think Fe2O3 is used as a catalyst in whistle.

pyroman89 any update on your wheel (should we call it 'wheel of wheels' :rolleyes: ).

Nothing to report here apart from i'v bought the MDF for the frame's and will be building them this week.I'v also decided that my normal 15mm drivers won't be up to the job,so going for 19mmID-150mm long drivers,but having not done anything this big,its going to take some more experimenting.

I'v also been thinking about what effects are going be on the small wheels.I'd like different alternating effects on each wheel and maybe a whistle in there,( think i'm getting over enthusiastic) but we'll see.

dean

#24 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:34 PM

Its funny portfire I had thought of wheels on wheels, but I also thought of double wheels. Well there is kind of an update on my wheel. As you probly saw I need to make Kno3 or sodium nitrate. So I think I will make some sodium nitrate soon. But I have done some tests with sodium nitrate I had for the drivers. It is the following formula:

Sodium nitrate 87g
Charcoal (air float) 18g
Sulfur 15g
Dextrin +4g

This is a version I made from David Sleeter version I think he uses carbon black instead of charcoal. But besides that it works good, very powerful I never use to big of drivers because they are so strong.

It think the name of them should be wheels of wheels, wheels on wheels or double wheels.

#25 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hi everybody, only one person on here knows this but I'am going on vacation to florida till the end of March. But the reason i'am posting this is because when I get back I could beable to get atleast a pic of my wheels of wheels, hopefully a video. But I just thought I would let anyone know. Anyone else, Portfire have you got anything?

#26 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi everybody, only one person on here knows this but I'am going on vacation to florida till the end of March. But the reason i'am posting this is because when I get back I could beable to get atleast a pic of my wheels of wheels, hopefully a video. But I just thought I would let anyone know. Anyone else, Portfire have you got anything?

No not yet pal.I've been busy with other projects.I'm going to save this on until i've built the new worshop,which i should be starting soon.

Look forward to seeing yours,and a vid would be great :)

Dean

#27 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

No not yet pal.I've been busy with other projects.I'm going to save this on until i've built the new worshop,which i should be starting soon.

Look forward to seeing yours,and a vid would be great :)

Dean

Alrighty then. I should be beable to get atleast pictures of it. I will try my best to get a video.

#28 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

hmm , dipped my toe into the world of wheels, rusty push-bike wheels that is!, six number 1/2"hand rolled tubes, two number 3/4"id tubes, why two? because i ran out of : room on the wheel! :P .
three hand pressed whistle with titanium 4" long, three clay choked bp drivers 68,17,10 milled for two hours then +5 atomized stainless steel.
i found this rather fast when testing so i added another 10 charcoal, and finally two 3/4"id, by three inch long clay choked glasswick purple drivers heres the vid it went wheely well

#29 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Wont Sodium Nitrate based drivers collect moisture and fail to work? that's what I found with my improvised BP.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#30 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

hmm , dipped my toe into the world of wheels, rusty push-bike wheels that is!, six number 1/2"hand rolled tubes, two number 3/4"id tubes, why two? because i ran out of : room on the wheel! tongue.gif .
three hand pressed whistle with titanium 4" long, three clay choked bp drivers 68,17,10 milled for two hours then +5 atomized stainless steel.
i found this rather fast when testing so i added another 10 charcoal, and finally two 3/4"id, by three inch long clay choked glasswick purple drivers heres the vid it went wheely well

Good job!

Wont Sodium Nitrate based drivers collect moisture and fail to work? that's what I found with my improvised BP.

It completely depends on the quality of the Sodium nitrate and the climatic conditions. In come climates low quality stuff can be used with no fireproofing. In some places you will need to prevent it from absorbing moisture (Vaseline might work). Sodium nitrate of high purity should not be very hygroscopic at all.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users