23 replies to this topic

#1 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

I feel I have an understanding of the mindset of many contributors and can appreciate and understand the enthusiasm for the past. I first joined the U.K. industry at Astra in Kent, a factory which, at the time of my arrival, had undergone little change in almost four decades. I soaked up the stories and explored every nook and cranny but how I wish I had recorded more. The label shop had bundles of every single label whose designs (apart from price) were literally unchanged - although there were obsolete ones from years gone by still about if you looked hard enough. I collected a full set but to my great shame lost them.

The place shut in the early 1990's and shortly before demolition I took my sons to see the place their dad had worked (they weren't interested at all), I spent some time at the dartford factory (Unwins) which had been acquired by the Astra group also. Much of this is still there but fenced off now.

My experiences have coloured my attitudes and I place great emphasis on not only preserving skills and technology which sadly seem destined to disappear but also in developing them. I am drifting off topic here having had a pint or two.

Have any contributors explored such places?, if there are any questions which I might be able to answer regarding the places I have mentioned feel free to ask them.

I have a few pictures of past places and will try and organise posting them if anyone is interested.

Paul M.

#2 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hi Spectrum.

There are quite a few recent photographs of the Joyce Green site on this web-site, which may be of interest to you:

Joyce Green Firework Factory Site

It is run by one of the members on this forum.

I agree that it's sad that much of our firework heritage is fast disappearing and try to preserve some by collecting the old stuff.

Cheers.

Firefiend

Edited by Firefiend, 02 August 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

My interests strongly lie with Standard Fireworks. I live practically 10 miles away down the road and had contacts who worked there. At one point they employed in the region of 500 people! The UKPS is hoping to concentrate efforts in preserving the history and heritage of this company by putting together a book and an accompanying documentary. It is vital that such efforts are taken to preserve the essence of British fireworks manufacture.

Photos etc of any manufacturing sites past and present are of interest to all concerned.

#4 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

How things used to be done.............. :D

Weighing chemicals at Brock's Firework Factory in Sutton, Surrey

Probably dates to the 1920s or early 1930s.

Edited by Firefiend, 04 August 2007 - 05:59 AM.

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

I love standard fireworks also but there dosn't seem to be to much luck with that place as i hear and have pictures of them demolishing one whole side of the sites construction and storage buildings to make use for iso containers, not very pretty. Which makes me beleive that they will soon take down the front load of construction buildings. The site atm contains 64 construction buildings compared to the hundred or so.

Just for more pictures here is an arial view of an old Military base which half is used for normal storage of small companies and the other half for a small fireworks company.

http://www.flasheart...a...r=0&src=msl

One large old dis-used (accept part of it for army training) explosive factory.

http://www.flasheart...a...r=0&src=ggl

The good old Standard fireworks which is looking in a slight mess.
http://www.flasheart...a...r=0&src=msa

Edited by pyrotechnist, 28 August 2007 - 02:50 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#6 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

The old standard site is used as a magazine by Pyrovision, going up there is like going back in time looking at the main building, have a look for it on google earth you can make out the old and new testing areas.
We dont do girly shows.!!!

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

I went up to Standards site in Huddersfield a few times when it still made stuff. Watching the factory girls make Roman Candles had to be seen to be believed. They were so quick. Also making devil amongst the tailors was a joy to watch. Philip Morley was display manager at that time for them.

Shell and rocket testing and the powder burn were great, where they burnt off the old unused powder in a big pit.

Do you work for Pyrovision Legendary Graham?
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#8 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

I went up to Standards site in Huddersfield a few times when it still made stuff. Watching the factory girls make Roman Candles had to be seen to be believed. They were so quick. Also making devil amongst the tailors was a joy to watch. Philip Morley was display manager at that time for them.

Shell and rocket testing and the powder burn were great, where they burnt off the old unused powder in a big pit.

Do you work for Pyrovision Legendary Graham?

no i work for Skyblazers although i have freelanced for Pyrovision a few times
We dont do girly shows.!!!

#9 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Oh I see. I know Rodney at Pyrovision and we occasionally swap stupid stories on the phone.

#10 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Mortartube do you by any chance have any pictures of Standard fireworks?

#11 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

OK then.

there was i just discovered a firwork factory in carvely / appley bridge near leeds.

It was in the woods Carvely woods or appley bridge woods not entirely sure what they are called) 5 minutes walk from my last work so I went to have a look and found plenty of ruins but nothing that jumped out as a factory or manufacturing site.

I know there was also a camp during the war there so maybe the site was flattened for that but if anyone knows anything let us all know.

I dont know its name but do know that in 1957 there was an explosion killing the watchman and maybe two others but dont know if this was the end of the production on the site.

only info I have found is this mention http://www.leodis.ne...mp;DISPLAY=FULL

#12 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

By any chance cooperman do you have a googlemaps link to the site or may be can get one?

#13 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

http://maps.google.c...p...p;z=14&om=1

Its called west wood

I walked all along the grey curved path and theres loads of foundations etc especially allong the sides of the straight peice.

Edited by cooperman435, 29 October 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#14 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

Couldn't really see out on the arial view due to the trees but this place sounds peculiar. What makes you think it is the foundations of a firework factory?

#15 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of Standards Pyrotechnist. Just memories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users