• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

For a company, a firework maker or firer, then a proven tester is a valid option. For an individual, few of us could afford a spare £1000 for a tested and calibrated failsafe meter system.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#17 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

For a company, a firework maker or firer, then a proven tester is a valid option. For an individual, few of us could afford a spare £1000 for a tested and calibrated failsafe meter system.

I agree I probably wouldn't have bought one for £1000 but just pointing out that it's woth keeping a watch on EBay because £150 is in many peoples budgets. Also the current source circuit for this particular meter is purlished and explained on the web so could be incorperated in a home built tester (of course it still wouldn't have official approvals). Of course there's more to it than just a failsafe current source, other design points are that any internal vulnerable parts such as the test terminals etc. are coated in a resin etc. to fully insulate them.
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

#18 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

For a small business pyro firer the cost of the certified and approved tester is frightening. However in the absence of one, a risk assessed testing regime needs to be in place to prevent resistance testing causing injury or loss due to premature firing. There is safety in knowing that all the devices are correctly connected and will fire on cue.

The guy I know who uses the maplin cheap meter is one of the firers approved to do pyro in the Royal Albert Hall, certainly not a fly-by-night.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users