36 replies to this topic

#31 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

quick question then, how are you fixed for KOH? can you get that cheap?
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#32 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

quick question then, how are you fixed for KOH? can you get that cheap?

I've got about 2kg here, free if I want it. Don't know what to use it for though.

Reading back in this topic, are you hinting at maybe converting the SrCO3 to Sr(OH)2 first and then reacting it with NH4NO3 to get Sr(NO3)2? Maybe doing the same with barium carbonate?

2KOH+SrCO3--->Sr(OH)2 + K2CO3 {Sr(OH)2 insoluble and will ppte out}
Sr(OH)2 + 2(NH4NO3)---> Sr(NO3)2 + 2(NH4+)+ 2(OH-) ? Kinda lost here... but with boiling, should release ammonia gas and produce water?

Edited by Bonny, 02 October 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#33 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

[quote name='Bonny' date='Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM' post='38370']
I've got about 2kg here, free if I want it. Don't know what to use it for though.

Reading back in this topic, are you hinting at maybe converting the SrCO3 to Sr(OH)2 first and then reacting it with NH4NO3 to get Sr(NO3)2? Maybe doing the same with barium carbonate?

2KOH+SrCO3--->Sr(OH)2 + K2CO3 {Sr(OH)2 insoluble and will ppte out}
Sr(OH)2 + 2(NH4NO3)---> Sr(NO3)2 + 2(NH4+)+ 2(OH-) ? Kinda lost here... but with boiling, should release ammonia gas and produce water?

Any feedback here is most welcome!

#34 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

I am indeed thinking that way yes, sorry I didn`t reply then, the thread got bumped down by the time I got back here.
but yes, that`s my thinking, however, the Method without too much loss needs working out, it`s all down to solubility differences, and Group 2 elements can be a bitch in that respect!

#35 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

I am indeed thinking that way yes, sorry I didn`t reply then, the thread got bumped down by the time I got back here.
but yes, that`s my thinking, however, the Method without too much loss needs working out, it`s all down to solubility differences, and Group 2 elements can be a bitch in that respect!

Might be too complicated for my abilities, but maybe for future consideration. I have concluded that the first method attempted here using SrCO3 and NH4NO3 is possible, it is far too time consuming to be worthwhile. As I have to work I don't have time to boil it long enough in one shot. I have resumed the boiling several times as time allowed, but am still smelling ammonia after more than 20 hrs boiling. However, the container where I put my spoon after stirring the boiling solution, did contain some crystals I'm assuming to be Sr(NO3)2 after the water evaporated. I will try and finish that experiment this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Although expensive, I think I will use nitric acid in future for ease and simplicity. The weather will be getting cold here soon so I need to try and get whatever I can made soon as I don't plan on doing any of this in the house!

#36 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

if you got crystals on the spoon then you do indeed have Strontium Nitrate :)

AN will not crystalise so easily, it pulls in moisture from the air and can stay liquid for ages as a result.

I`ll bet you`re glad I said do a small Trial 1`st eh! :)

#37 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

if you got crystals on the spoon then you do indeed have Strontium Nitrate :)

AN will not crystalise so easily, it pulls in moisture from the air and can stay liquid for ages as a result.

I`ll bet you`re glad I said do a small Trial 1`st eh! :)

Definately glad I tried a small(er) amount. If I'd gone with my original amounts I don't know how many gallons of water I'd have needed...As long as I do get to harvest some strontium nitrate I'll be happy. Good learning anyway. Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users