• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:14 PM

I have some nitrocellulose powder and was wondering if anyone knows how to make nitro lac with it as far as ounces to a quart of acetone

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

Is there a set formula? I suspect it depends on the viscosity of the intended product.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

Is there a set formula? I suspect it depends on the viscosity of the intended product.

i will use it for making stars probably round ones and i think it is 10% solid nitrogen

#4 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

i will use it for making stars probably round ones and i think it is 10% solid nitrogen

#5 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

i will use it for stars prob round it is a 10%solid

#6 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:10 PM

simply dissolve it in the Acetone, until it`s as thick or thin as you want it, exactly as Arthur said.

I have to ask though, where did the NC powder come from?
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#7 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

i got it from firefox at 9.00 a pound i wonder if anybody knows of colored star formulas for this stuff

#8 al93535

al93535

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

The correct formula is weight per volume. So for 10% NC lacquer it would be 10 grams of NC to 100 milliliters of acetone.
The more I learn, the more I know I don't know.

#9 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

i got it from firefox at 9.00 a pound i wonder if anybody knows of colored star formulas for this stuff

None that require the chemical specifically to the best of my knowledge, however NC Lacquer is used as a binder in loads of star formulas and in primes, for example if you don't want a nitrate leaching through the prime layer to a NH4ClO4 based star...

Regards,

Mike

#10 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

Has anyone tried "Nitrate Dope" as a source for NC lacquer? Model airplane guys use it to attach the skins to their airplanes. From what I've read it's usually around a 10% NC solution, but may have plasticizers in it so it's not a pure NC solution. I'm wondering if it's good enough for pyro use?
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#11 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Has anyone tried "Nitrate Dope" as a source for NC lacquer? Model airplane guys use it to attach the skins to their airplanes. From what I've read it's usually around a 10% NC solution, but may have plasticizers in it so it's not a pure NC solution. I'm wondering if it's good enough for pyro use?

I use it, works great, the lacquer I have is like syrup and needs thinning down with acetone. I dried a small amount out in a saucer to see how pure the NC was, a 0.5mm disc of approx 50mm diameter vanished in a ball of orange flame in half a second, so I think its fairly pure. 500ml of it cost me £6 a couple of years ago, and still got most of it left.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#12 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

I use it, works great, the lacquer I have is like syrup and needs thinning down with acetone. I dried a small amount out in a saucer to see how pure the NC was, a 0.5mm disc of approx 50mm diameter vanished in a ball of orange flame in half a second, so I think its fairly pure. 500ml of it cost me £6 a couple of years ago, and still got most of it left.

Hi pyromaniac303

What brand of nitrate dope do you use? Sig brand is widely available at hobby shops around here... I might have to grab a pint and try it out. Any advice on how much acetone to use when thinning it down? I wanted to use it as the binder for dragon eggs.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#13 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hi pyromaniac303

What brand of nitrate dope do you use? Sig brand is widely available at hobby shops around here... I might have to grab a pint and try it out. Any advice on how much acetone to use when thinning it down? I wanted to use it as the binder for dragon eggs.

Starloc is the brand I bought, a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 acetone:lacquer is usually about right, though they are a UK brand so not sure whether they export.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#14 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hi pyromaniac303

For dragon eggs I just use ping pong balls dissolved in acetone as per instructions on pyroguide. Seems to work fine for me.

#15 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

I've heard directly from SIG that it is a 10% soln. It is probably alright as is for binding the dragon eggs. For binding prime and such, I'd go with a 2-3% soln.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users