20 replies to this topic

#16 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:24 PM

hey smpip, i do have some breathin apparatus but its the type you put over your nose and mouth with a cotton(i guess) filter. dont think this will be useful to stop fumes. i carry the experiment forward outside and do not stay in the area after adding the acid and do not breathe the fumes in.e.g. add acid to other acid walk away, observe, take a deep breath walk back check temp, add more acid if cool enough, walk away...

so what exactly will happen if some how the police do find out iv made/making nitrocellulose or possessing any?cascade nitration?...i would like to learn a bit more on that...

#17 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:31 PM

[quote]Originally posted by smpip
[quote][i]Originally posted by zanes

[/quote]
errr.... actually cordite is usied for bullet propellant, and yes i do know what i am on about, i shoot .22 and 5.56mm SA 80 on target ranges and on exercises with blanks:bounce:

[Edited on 30-7-2003 by zanes] [/quote]

Errr....actually Nitro-cellulose = Gun cotton = Cordite:duh: [/quote]

doh!

#18 smpip

smpip

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:54 PM

Cascade nitration/esterification is when the chemical reaction runs away with itself, this is bad!!

The law see,s production and/or storage as a 100% no, no.
People have served time for equal offences, there is no grounds for home experimentation, your next question is what about NC Lacquer (varnish) good question, I don't have an answer, but for Nitrated cotton in the raw(so to speak) is an offence.

Breathing apparatus I was thinking more on the level of, forced air systems or at the very least chemical gas masks, of the industrial grade, as specified by the HSE,
the mask you mentioned is barely suitable for air born dust (of an inert nature) what are your lungs worth?
One of the toxins given off/created during combution of particular chem's that we use is toxic at 1ppb that's 1part per billion, lethal at 4 to 5 ppb, the toxin breaks down partly into hydrochloric acid in your lungs, fatal dosage would have you drowning in your own blood plasma
Acceptable maximum exposure for any single 8 hour period of this toxin is 0.4ppb.

A good mask is worth its weight in gold, modern army surplus is a good place to start, however industrial ones are not too expensive, which ever, where ever always ensure you can get replacement filters for your model.

[Edited on 30-7-2003 by smpip]

#19 smpip

smpip

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:10 PM

Hey Zanes if it got a fuse it might be a kettle:lol:

How are the old SA80's still jam do they?

#20 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:33 PM

ok thanks Simon;)how long would it take for me to realise that im drowning in my own blood, im pretty scared now:owill the lethal dose take affect straight away or in a few hours?i aint making that stuff no more:o

#21 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 10:32 PM

Right we've overstepped the line people. I'm calling this thread a day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users