• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

hello all. last year, i was contemplating buying one of the big boxes Lidl were selling, : Black Nebula, £15, but there wasnt a description of what it contained, and it was before i joined this forum so i couldnt ask. however, i know im a little bit behind, but wanted to know if anyone here bought it? if so, was it any good? i read on another forum that there were a few problems with it. and was there any cakes in it? - thats what i always look for in a box.
instead, i decided to get the thumderbolt box from asda for £25. was disappointed with it to be honest. the next one down was much better.
anyway, 48 days to go till the big day. :rolleyes:
take care people, best regards,
Decks.

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

£15 is a fair spend for the fusing of a really tiny display! It's not really surprising that it's not worth much you haven't paid much. It probably represents good value for your money!

There are lots of cakes retail and you often do get what you pay for!

I suspect that a big pro show costs over £1000 a second, that's why consumer shows look uninspired in comparison.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

My objection to alot of consumer fireworks is that they try to trick you by putting small fireworks in big cases. That being said you can still get good stuff. The lidl box I had last year was just like that (in fact I posted some dissected firework pictures here). The box was still pretty good however, considering the cost.

The real answer of course is to make your own. I probably put more composition in one fountain than there was in that whole box!

£1000 a second displays may be very spectacular, but there is nothing better than letting fireworks off in your own display, in your own back garden! A close view, where you light it yourself, smell the smoke and have fun with friends and family...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

Sorry! I'd just come back from a show on the Thames last Sunday. Two barges started with a Lancework word then went into 10 minutes of big and bigger shells.

The two boats were 100m apart but their show was timed to perfection sometimes going together and sometimes passing the fan shots from boat to boat, still perfectly timed.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm planning on buying from Firework Emporium this year. Their selection boxes: https://www.firework...ogue.php?type=1

The Devco BOGOF ones look good, I asked them and they said that they were slightly worse than their Kimbolton ones so on BOGOF (buy one get one free) they must be alright :)

The downside is minimum £100 order for delivery, but if you collect (either Enfield or Ipswich) then it doesn't apply. And the upside is buy before 24th Sept and get 15% more fireworks free!
>> Status: General Testing

#6 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread but does anyone know if festival fireworks in ringmer will be open this year after last years disaster

#7 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm planning on buying from Firework Emporium this year. Their selection boxes: https://www.firework...ogue.php?type=1

The Devco BOGOF ones look good, I asked them and they said that they were slightly worse than their Kimbolton ones so on BOGOF (buy one get one free) they must be alright :)

The downside is minimum £100 order for delivery, but if you collect (either Enfield or Ipswich) then it doesn't apply. And the upside is buy before 24th Sept and get 15% more fireworks free!

The FE stuff is top notch! Ipersonally would steer well away from boxes of fireworks if i were you. You can have a much better display if you buy a few smaller pieces.

Delivery from FE is £20 per order, orders over £200 are free. I would recommend joining www.firework-review.co.uk, a great website with lots of reviews for members. (and superb discount at certain firework stores online for members!)

If you want any recomendations for the FE range just give me a shout. Im always at their demo nights and use a lot of their stuff myself! Infact i have just done a small £200-300 display last weekend consisting of most of their stuff!

Edited by broadsword, 19 September 2007 - 01:48 PM.

Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#8 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Buy all mine at Hootys warehouse, they do Great deals and you can buy your fireworks individualy, and they even give you a free pack of sparklers for every fiver spent.
they Will have a website here: http://www.hootyssup...e.com/main.html
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#9 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

My objection to alot of consumer fireworks is that they try to trick you by putting small fireworks in big cases. That being said you can still get good stuff. The lidl box I had last year was just like that (in fact I posted some dissected firework pictures here). The box was still pretty good however, considering the cost.

The real answer of course is to make your own. I probably put more composition in one fountain than there was in that whole box!

£1000 a second displays may be very spectacular, but there is nothing better than letting fireworks off in your own display, in your own back garden! A close view, where you light it yourself, smell the smoke and have fun with friends and family...

did you by any chance happen to note how many cakes were in it?
i thought it looked like 4 on the flyer
regards

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:38 AM

The big drawback with selection boxes is that you often get a selection of fireworks that do more or less the same thing- send out coloured stars and some sparks and crackles. Best advice, I think, it to buy the cheapest selection box and then select a couple of cheaper (£5-£10) cakes seperatly, if thats your budget. You will get better value for money that way. Even the best cakes in a selection box will only be as good as £4.99 individual fireworks.

Avoid expensive Buy one get one free "deals" at Supermakets- often the price is very inflated, and you simply get pairs of identical fireworks anyway.

Edited by David, 23 September 2007 - 12:42 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#11 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:15 PM

I just bought the thunder selection box BOGOF from firewworks emporium and another £60 worth of cakes and rockets separately. I'll be collecting them in a couple of weeks.

I find that cheaper (£15 ish) selection boxes generally are quite well varied, with a few different fountains, a wheel and a pinwheel, a mine, a few various roman candles and sometimes a couple of small barrages and a small rocket or 2.
>> Status: General Testing

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

I find that cheaper (£15 ish) selection boxes generally are quite well varied, with a few different fountains, a wheel and a pinwheel, a mine, a few various roman candles and sometimes a couple of small barrages and a small rocket or 2.

Looking through the catalogues for this year, that sounds about right, although the barrages will be very small- 6, perhaps 18 shots- although these are still quite nice. A nice mix for a small back garden.

#13 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

http://www.lidl.co.u...71015.index.ar9

(just for those who are interested) B)

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

http://www.lidl.co.u...71015.index.ar9

(just for those who are interested) B)

Looks like some good value stuff- a small and a medium selection box, 2 packs of rockets and three cakes. Same as last year.

The prices arn't even that competative- maybe like 10% cheaper than at a fireworks shop, its hard to say, because its stuff branded specifically for Lidl.

My advice would be to check out a fireworks shop, their selection is so much better, certainly in regard to the rockets and cakes. As for selection boxes... i'll start a thread!

Edited by David, 08 October 2007 - 01:36 PM.

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

I got the Lidle Catalogue today, to be honest Black Nebula looks a bit rubbish- lots of titchy fountains, some titchy rockets and a few titchy roman candles. The £4.99 one looks better value. If you want a few cakes some of the individual £1.99-£3.99 ones from brands like Men shun and Black Cat are MUCH better than those you would find in a selection box.

Also some of Lidl's "RRPs" are farcical. No way is Rainbow Storm ever a £23 piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users