• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#571 Hi-Fi.re

Hi-Fi.re

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Just wondering is it ok to use Inoxias 20mm Ceramic Balls in my mill and whats the pros and cons of using them.

#572 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

Personally I prefer Lead as the extra weight speeds up the milling process immensely

#573 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

I've seen good product made with lead media and ceramic! Both work well both are safe-ish I'm not sure that a mill drum af compound ever is totally safe.

Lead is heavy, ceramic is harder! On a small rock tumbler the 3lb of contents total gets more product with ceramic balls without killing the mill and motor than using lead balls where you get up to capacity weight with less volume inside.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#574 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

I've never tried ceramic media myself, but I switched from lead to brass quite awhile ago and am very happy with the brass. It mills great and no lead contamination to deal with.

#575 Hi-Fi.re

Hi-Fi.re

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

If i buy some ceramic media am i better off buying Balls or Cylinders or is there no difference?

#576 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

If i buy some ceramic media am i better off buying Balls or Cylinders or is there no difference?

I'm sure there's a difference, but either will work just fine. I think there are people who prefer one or the other. My media is a mix of balls,cylinders and misc shaped pcs of brass.

#577 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:27 PM

I'm sure there's a difference, but either will work just fine. I think there are people who prefer one or the other. My media is a mix of balls,cylinders and misc shaped pcs of brass.

I remember reading a report of the comparisom and that seemed to show no great difference in milling efficiency. One advantage of cylpebs I have found when milling mixes that tend to clump is that they greatly reduce the "dead" areas in the corners of the jar that otherwise would fill with compacted only partially milled charge.

Edited by pyrotrev, 07 August 2008 - 05:28 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#578 xXPyroJoeXx

xXPyroJoeXx

Working my way to pyropro!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hey Guys, how you all doing.

Anyway, I was wondering where you all got your motor from for your ball mill, Im having trouble either findng a slow motor...typical electric motor is like 1400RPM, or a cheap one. I bought a motor off ebay a couple of weeks ago, died monday :(! But it wasnt cut out to run for hours! Anyway, Like I said, where did you all get your motors from please :) I need one quick
Hey guys!
XBOX LIVE GT: JS92 (I Play Gears of War Mainly!)
Add me!

#579 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

i found a motor but i don't know how many rpm is it..
How can i measure the motor's rpm??

#580 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

depends if its brushed or brushless.

need more info on the motor...i.e where it came from, how big....and markings/model numbers....NORMALLY the Rpm figure is marked on them.

A brushless motor is easy to measure with a multimeter that has a frequency function...it'll count the polarity changes per second, and therefore rpm=Hz(120/# of poles)

at uni, we did it the easy way.......Attached a peice of paper to the shaft.used a laser, and a Gap counter.

other methods include:

pulleys - taking it down to something easy to measure acuratly...like 30RPM
A tacho
Video recorder and PC
Sound recorder and slow playback

The one i prefer BAR NONE

A Pushbike Speedo.

Works every time....put a pully on the motor of a known diam. attach a small magnet....and frame up the reed switch....program the speedo with the rolling circ. of the pulley......it'll give you a MPH reading.....you know the circ of the wheel......and how many miles it'll do in 1 hour.....so the rest is simple maths.

Hope this helps, but seriously.....have a good around the motor for a stamp/id number.

#581 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

If making a mill is proving difficult then go buy one!

There are rock and pebble tumblers for lapidary available online almost anywhere, in capacities from 700g total contents to 6+kilos.

Search ebay in your country for a starter.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#582 xXPyroJoeXx

xXPyroJoeXx

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

No need to worry now :)

Right managed to throw somit together :P

Some pics...and a video im currently editing that will be on youtube :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Click the image for a larger view, the original files were 3072 x 2304! But photobucket scaled them down :(

And I will post a link to the video as soon as it uploads :)

Enjoy (and thank you to everyone who helped me :P)

EDIT: Youtube Video: http://uk.youtube.co...f0VeSFXs&fmt=18

Poster Above: If you still need a motor then tell me and ill try and track down the seller on ebay and see if he has anymore motors...cus when I bought mine, he had about 3 available!!!
Hey guys!
Add me!

#583 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

nice mill, but i think you'll experience slippage with a loaded jar, i find you need two powered rollers, nothing more than another shaft parallel to the first,the jar sitting inbetween driven by connecting a rubber hover belt between the two shafts, just see how it goes

#584 xXPyroJoeXx

xXPyroJoeXx

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

yeh im planning to put a pre-friction gripped roller instead of the skateboard wheels...ill post pic:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and have added some innertube of a bicycle tyre to the jar for extra grippage ;)

Edited by xXPyroJoeXx, 26 October 2008 - 10:36 PM.

Hey guys!
Add me!

#585 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

depends if its brushed or brushless.

need more info on the motor...i.e where it came from, how big....and markings/model numbers....NORMALLY the Rpm figure is marked on them.

A brushless motor is easy to measure with a multimeter that has a frequency function...it'll count the polarity changes per second, and therefore rpm=Hz(120/# of poles)

at uni, we did it the easy way.......Attached a peice of paper to the shaft.used a laser, and a Gap counter.

other methods include:

pulleys - taking it down to something easy to measure acuratly...like 30RPM
A tacho
Video recorder and PC
Sound recorder and slow playback

The one i prefer BAR NONE

A Pushbike Speedo.

Works every time....put a pully on the motor of a known diam. attach a small magnet....and frame up the reed switch....program the speedo with the rolling circ. of the pulley......it'll give you a MPH reading.....you know the circ of the wheel......and how many miles it'll do in 1 hour.....so the rest is simple maths.

Hope this helps, but seriously.....have a good around the motor for a stamp/id number.

it is from water pump and i recognize a small shamrock on it...
the marked numbers are gone so i can't read nothing :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users