128 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

You can't really say best supermarket... you have to say what brand.

Some Supermarkets have their own brands- like Morrisions sells "Dynasty" which is made by Cosmic, but its a brand made only for Morrisons, and they sell exactly the same stuff year after year. Weak.

You can't really say best supermarket... you have to say what brand.

Generally most of the fireworks are exactly the same with a different label

True- even if they are from totally different companies, they are often sourced from the same factory. Its not just fireworks. For example Asda own brand lasagne is made in the same factory as Tescos own brand lasagne.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

my next door neighbour bought the RIO rocket pack from Aldi two years ago. not one worked properly - they either exploded on the floor, went up and came back down then exploded, or didnt explode at all. £20 down the drain. my uncle spent £60 on them and had exactly the same problem. so i havent bought any because im worried that if i do i will just be wasting my money. but last year i heard they were very good.
did anyone else have any problems?

Regards,

Dec

#18 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:22 AM

my next door neighbour bought the RIO rocket pack from Aldi two years ago. not one worked properly - they either exploded on the floor, went up and came back down then exploded, or didnt explode at all. £20 down the drain. my uncle spent £60 on them and had exactly the same problem. so i havent bought any because im worried that if i do i will just be wasting my money. but last year i heard they were very good.
did anyone else have any problems?

Regards,

Dec

Rockets are changing anyway, in line with new laws, so last years experience might not be something to go on. Is Rio the selection of smaller rockets, or the 4 big ones?

#19 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

Rockets are changing anyway, in line with new laws, so last years experience might not be something to go on. Is Rio the selection of smaller rockets, or the 4 big ones?

the pack of about 20 rockets it was.

#20 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

the pack of about 20 rockets it was.

I got that pack ( I tend to buy loads of stuff), I didn't have any problems but the rockets were really tame. I wouldn't recommend it. .

#21 Dec

Dec

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

aldi advertising fireworks . . . . if anyone's interested.

here's the link: aldi.co.uk
click on special buys for thursday, Oct 18.

#22 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

always amazes me how "firework enthusiasts" turn their back on the year round suppliers and hunt round the supermarkets in the quest to save a pound or two....

so some supermarkets have their own " brands" - its only the suppliers other stuff with a different wrapper on it and perhaps built to a price for the supermarket.

Where are the supermarkets when you guys want some pyro mid summer?

#23 W.P

W.P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:11 PM

This is true however you have to also consider pricing. Although dedicated Firework suppliers would seem to be the choice for firework enthusiasts (such as ourselves) the firework brands in some cases are the same.

#24 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

pricing my arse, its a case of showing a little bit of loyalty to the guys that spend £500 on a licence to sell all year around over the guys (supermarkets/newsagents etc) that spend £65 on a seasonal licence, just to make a fast buck

and you guys just make it worse

#25 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

pricing my arse, its a case of showing a little bit of loyalty to the guys that spend £500 on a licence to sell all year around over the guys (supermarkets/newsagents etc) that spend £65 on a seasonal licence, just to make a fast buck

As for me, if you read my posts here I do tend to agree- Fireworks Shops are better. I say this because I think the selection and quality of their stock is much better.

But the purpose of this thread is to discuss the merits of various selection boxes, and some people do choose to buy from Supermarkets.

#26 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

not aimed at anyone inparticular mate, so please dont take it personally ;) (and the cider I have drunk while watching rugby is playing a part)

I just think its a bit poor when guys scour the supermarkets buying items they have never heard to save a quid or two

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

I just think its a bit poor when guys scour the supermarkets buying items they have never heard to save a quid or two

I agree, although I would say it differently. Supermarkets tend to present items as a "great bargain" when in fact they may not be.

#28 W.P

W.P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:04 AM

And who isn't? I'm not going to go out and spend double on the same selection box just because it shows some kind of loyalty that was "bound to me" as soon as I started this hobby. If I see a bargain I'm going to take advantage of it, if we all followed the same concept about loyalty to those who are mildly associated with us (and in some cases just those who have no real pyrotechnical knowledge other than brand names of fireworks, which makes your "fast buck" point even more invalid because they are trying to make a quick buck as well) then we might as well only order chemicals from over priced shops, purchase food only from local sources and not allow Americans on this site to preserve our British loyalty.

It is their decision to spend £500 on an all year license, they do it because they believe they can make the capital to pay for it. I'm not obliged to pay for their endeavors.

Lets go order $70 UN ball mills rather than $20 HF ball mills just to show loyalty.

Edited by W.P, 14 October 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

WP does make a good point. I don't know any firework shops that are run on a non-profit basis just to support enthusiasts. The fireworks retail business is , after all, a business. But then, so are supermarkets.

As I've said before, I do think Fireworks Shops are better because they offer more. A good fireworks shop will also thrown in free portfires etc, which a Supermarket would never do.

Edited by David, 14 October 2007 - 04:02 PM.

#30 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

Of course year round firework suppliers are there to make money, no one ever suggested they weren't but to suggest that we are ALL in business to make a fast buck is insulting.

Supplying fireworks all year around means that we develop a knowledge of our products and can better help our customers choose fireworks that are best suited to them, try doing that in Lidl.

Also the inference that a supermarket is automatically cheaper, or indeed that a year round supplier is DOUBLE the price is just incorrect . I'm not saying you should pay more for your fireworks but have you ever tried saying to your local fireworks supplier "I've seen this at XYZ Supermarket, what can you do for me?" you may be suprised!

Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users