• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 Labs2008

Labs2008

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

hello i am new to the forum i was just wondering if this meal powder will be fast enough for lift.

bptest1

Pure kno3
dusting sulfur
lump charcoal premilled to airfloat then milled for 2 hours with proper amount of sulfur
then added kno3/c/s to mill and milled for 5 hours.

I just made a batch of silver maple charcoal i am going to try next.

Edited by Labs2008, 13 August 2008 - 08:31 AM.

#182 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:19 AM

Once granulated yes, It will make acceptable lift. 10-20# is the standard for candles, small shells etc.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#183 Labs2008

Labs2008

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

good I riced it through a 4# and 10# screen and it is drying now.

My silver maple is milling now can't wait to compare.

#184 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

i try to make tiger tail composition but my kno3 didn't burn..Has kno3 got end date??i try to burn kno3 alone but nothing happened,it starting to melt but not to make flame..why???

#185 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

i try to make tiger tail composition but my kno3 didn't burn..Has kno3 got end date??i try to burn kno3 alone but nothing happened,it starting to melt but not to make flame..why???

kno3 does not go off and should have a very long shelf life. kno3 does not burn by itself it provides oxygen to allow fuels to burn.

Edited by digger, 14 August 2008 - 03:21 PM.

Phew that was close.

#186 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

How far did you get attempting to make the tigertail? Were you trying to light it as a loose powder or have you made stars? Some underoxidised stars need to be flying through the air at speed to function properly. A star which sits and smoulders on the ground might burn up properly whilst falling through the air.

#187 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

On the tigertail note, when i have my TT composition milled up and ready to pump into stars, the powder on itself will not burn unless the flame of my torch is on it, once the stars are formed and pumped they burn no problem.

try making your stars and then do another test ;)
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

#188 Labs2008

Labs2008

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

ok here is a small lift test of a smoke cracker. It is from the lump charcoal bp. I just made a silver maple batch and that is the second video.
It launched that smoke craker pretty good for such a short tube. 6" tall only 1" diameter.

small lift

#189 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

How far did you get attempting to make the tigertail? Were you trying to light it as a loose powder or have you made stars? Some underoxidised stars need to be flying through the air at speed to function properly. A star which sits and smoulders on the ground might burn up properly whilst falling through the air.

Yesterday i made tt composition and when i finished the milling i try to test an ammount of TT but it didn't burn easily..it was very difficult to burn the ammount and i supposed that kno3 has got problem...
I try to burn few gramms of kno3 with the lighter but nothing happened,kno3 starting to melt..not to burn :blush:

#190 minalth

minalth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

Yesterday i made tt composition and when i finished the milling i try to test an ammount of TT but it didn't burn easily..it was very difficult to burn the ammount and i supposed that kno3 has got problem...
I try to burn few gramms of kno3 with the lighter but nothing happened,kno3 starting to melt..not to burn :blush:

kno3 shouldn't burn, if it did it would be seriously contaminated. Make stars from the mix that doesn't seem to work like skyburst suggests and it should be fine.
good luck!
If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

#191 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

kno3 shouldn't burn, if it did it would be seriously contaminated. Make stars from the mix that doesn't seem to work like skyburst suggests and it should be fine.
good luck!

Here is the video from kno3

#192 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

What is the video to show us? As said the KNO3 shouldn't burn alone as there is no fuel to react with the oxygen released from it.

#193 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Nothing,it's a reply to minalth about my kno3 because i have doubt.
Thanks cooperman for your replay.

#194 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:40 PM

Pipipi,

If you suspect your Potassium nitrate is impure, attempting to burn it will not teach you anything because Potassium nitrate does not burn, and the impurities are very unlikely to burn, and you will get the same result with 99.9997% Analytical KNO3 as 50/50 KNO3/Impurity (unless the impurity is a fuel).

Where did you get your Potassium nitrate from?

Did you ball mill your tigertail?

Is it in stars? Are they FULLY dry?

Have you tried making it into stars and testing them in the air?

Tigertail often burns pathetically, if at all, as a loose powder on the ground, or as stars which are not quite dry. Try ramming a few grams into a tube, it should burn better then, or if you have it made into stars, let them dry a bit longer.

Good luck :)
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#195 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

i get it from garden store
Yes i milled the tt
I test it after milling (powder)
Thanks i will try to make stars. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users