• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#76 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

if you can consistently produce bp of same burning speed even if it is slow rejoice youve just made marvelous rocket fuel !!!
protodezine@gmail.com

#77 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:01 AM

no i don't have a press, or the tools to build one.

All you need is a drill and a saw, buy a car jack and some pine from the hardware store along with a few bolts.

#78 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

Just tested my 45 minute powder, took 0.5 seconds to burn 50cm so thats exactly 1 meter a second. Thats fast enough for everything pyro :)

http://www.creagan.n...coal_tests.html

Good speed reference for diffrent charcoal types, might try a 12 hour batch :)

Edited by marble, 01 December 2007 - 12:22 PM.

#79 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

When wetting meal powder, if you dont have hold of any ethanol or alcohol, could deodorant be used as a substitute? Or would then not be much difference wetting it with water than deodorant?
Thanks

#80 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

When wetting meal powder, if you dont have hold of any ethanol or alcohol, could deodorant be used as a substitute? Or would then not be much difference wetting it with water than deodorant?
Thanks

You serious??
Just use plain water.

#81 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

Just tested my 45 minute powder, took 0.5 seconds to burn 50cm so thats exactly 1 meter a second. Thats fast enough for everything pyro :)

http://www.creagan.n...coal_tests.html

Good speed reference for diffrent charcoal types, might try a 12 hour batch :)

... I want your mill.

#82 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

how many hours need to make black powder with ball mill??also it is better to grind the 3 chemicals separate to make powders and then to grind all together for the final result

#83 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

how many hours need to make black powder with ball mill??also it is better to grind the 3 chemicals separate to make powders and then to grind all together for the final result

It depends on the efficiency of your mill and other factors like over loading the jar..Read the ballmill thread!!!!

What i do is mill my KNO3 for 2 hour, weigh the chems, put them in a sieve (over a sheet of paper) and mix them while pushing through the sieve. This breaks up any lumps, do this a couple of times so you have a uniform mix then place this mix into the mill jar...I find milling smaller batches to be more efficiencient.

Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#84 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

when you mill the kno3 the result is fine powder or not?

#85 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

when you mill the kno3 the result is fine powder or not?

Yes. KNO3 does clump together, and i find milling it shortens the milling time .Sulphur also clumps together, but i just sieve that to break the bigger bits up..You could just stick all the chems in the jar as they come and let the mill do it's work, although it's best your charcoal be as fine as posible. It's all down to person preference..Experiment,and whichever way suites you, stick with it.

Edited by portfire, 05 April 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#86 Pyrogeorge

Pyrogeorge

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

if it possible post an image with kno3 after milling to see how it looks like because i have rock tumbler to compare the final result..

Edited by pipipi, 05 April 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#87 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

if it possible post an image with kno3 after milling to see how it looks like because i have rock tumbler to compare the final result..

Well, it basically looks like flour, maybe slightly courser

#88 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:12 AM

I've never seen the point to seperate milling or even mixing the components when using a ball mill. I add course kno3, sulphur chips, charcoal that passes 10# and lumps of dextrin one at a time into the jar, dump in the media and mill it from there. 30secs after turning on the mill it's all mixed perfectly anyway.

#89 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

I agree with Phill...

I have seen advice to mill the KNO3 on it's own, as it is safer, but sooner or later you have to put it all together.

I just dump sulphur, KNO3 and rough charcoal thats been put though a mincer (probably all the way from 5 mesh to airfloat) into the jar and press the go button.

I really don't care if it takes 2 hours or 12 hours. I usually turn the mill on in the evening and take the powder out next morning - it always seems fine (in both senses!) and this method saves alot of work.

You have to be careful not to let any rubbish that could cause sparks get into the mill, but normal,clean working practices should ensure this. Also it is sensible to put your mill somewhere where it would not matter if it went bang - 1/2 a kilo of powder surrounded by lead balls and all confined in a nice tight jar would make quite a mess I think!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#90 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

I agree with Phill...

I have seen advice to mill the KNO3 on it's own, as it is safer, but sooner or later you have to put it all together.

I just dump sulphur, KNO3 and rough charcoal thats been put though a mincer (probably all the way from 5 mesh to airfloat) into the jar and press the go button.

I really don't care if it takes 2 hours or 12 hours. I usually turn the mill on in the evening and take the powder out next morning - it always seems fine (in both senses!) and this method saves alot of work.

You have to be careful not to let any rubbish that could cause sparks get into the mill, but normal,clean working practices should ensure this. Also it is sensible to put your mill somewhere where it would not matter if it went bang - 1/2 a kilo of powder surrounded by lead balls and all confined in a nice tight jar would make quite a mess I think!

Due to possibility of the above happening, (would not want to wake the neighbours :blink: } i mill the charcoal and sulphur together then use the CIA method to add the kno3,and this gives me decent powder.
regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users