4 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

One of the most noticable things about opening a Standard Selection box was the SMELL. They would leak powder/composition, and it had a really distinctive smell. When they started using that plastic wrap on boxes (sellophane?) it would sometimes leak into the wrapping, too.

Ahhh... memories. Of course this was a bit dangerous- and a bit messy too- but never the less its one of those things that I associate with fireworks from days gone buy.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

I collect firework memorabilia :wacko: and virtually every box I've found with the old blue touchpaper has been like this. I'm sure it's what gives that distinctive smell that reminds me of the shops that sold fireworks in the 'old days'.

I've just managed to acquire a previously untouched box of Brock's 1d Bangers from the 1950s and this was exactly the same - about a level teaspoon of fine powder in the bottom of the box from the fuses. Most of the touchpapers were twisted fairly tight, but a fair few were not and I guess they were responsible, as all the clay plugs in the ends were still perfect. I always get rid of the surplus powder for safety reasons and as you say, it's pretty messy and would quickly ruin the labels.

Brock's 1d Bang Bangers

#3 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

thanks for posting the picture they look wonderful the standard test as a child was would your penny banger break a 1pt milk bottle then one tragic year none would when we stripped one down it had been rolled from paper with a centre hole in to deliberately make a weaker cases .Since then the prices go up and the range and quality go down every year
protodezine@gmail.com

#4 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

thanks for posting the picture they look wonderful the standard test as a child was would your penny banger break a 1pt milk bottle then one tragic year none would when we stripped one down it had been rolled from paper with a centre hole in to deliberately make a weaker cases .Since then the prices go up and the range and quality go down every year

I found these tended to do the trick!!! :lol:

Brock's Cannon

Pain's London Rouser Banger

Edited by Firefiend, 21 October 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#5 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

Back when the popular "atom b**b foils" from india were still legal in north america (but briefly), they used to leak half their flash powder all over the place. And the fuses were terrible! It was a kind of blackmatch which generally fell to pieces yet seemingly remained flammable nonetheless. If you lit a piece it would often travel all the way around the shell in two seconds and explode prematurely.

Either way, a friend of mine still has several boxes of those left.

Whenever the box happens to be moved, the flash powder becomes inherently airborne :wacko:.

Needless to say he only lights them remotely.

EDIT: Just a note these are still legal in india, I found a page with a ton, there's a lot more of them.

Edited by MDH, 22 October 2007 - 06:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users