Photo

Half Price Men Shun Fireworks In S. Wales (+ Vat)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hi, my first post, so will keep it short. As eveybody already knows, there are a lot more suppliers in the north of the country supplying fireworks than in the south, so I just want tell you all there is a Cash and Carry warehouse in S. Wales that is doing Men Shun fireworks for half price plus the vat.
Check the RRP. on Fireworkreview.org site then just half the price and add the vat. They dont stock the whole range but quite a lot of it. Untill this year, they were giving me 10 % discount but this year they wouldn't because the recon they dont need to give discount 'they're so cheap, they're selling themselves'.
I spent £158 (not all my money, family all chip in) and they threw in a couple of packs of portfires and about 10 different packs of sparklers for the kids, so I reckon there's about 10% there.
It is a warehouse so you are supposed to have a trade card, but I have never seen them turn anybody away saying' ok we'll let you in this time but next time you'll need a card'

Philip Saunders Cash and Carry.
Pontypridd.

About 15 mins drive off the M4. if anybody wants directions just ask and I'll do my best to give you the best route.

There is another Philip Saunders warehouse in Barry, S. Wales but this one doesn't stock the fireworks.

One last question. My 2 local Bright Star suppliers have gone.( 1 gone bankrupt and the other switched to Fireworks International). I just love the Proton b**b barrage, I live in a valley and the reports reverberating off the sides of the valley setting off all the car alarms really used to put a smile on my face :), and now I cant get any without a lengthy car journey. Is there anything else that is as good as, or better than, for the same sort of money.(£10).

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

Men Shun at 40% off is pretty good, they do some punchy stuff- a lot of it rather “samey” though. They are not as innovative with their firing style as say, Brothers or Epic, and they don’t do single effect stuff as well as Fireworks International- in fact they don’t really do single effect stuff at all- its all a mixture of effects.

What are you thinking of buying?

As for a replacement for Proton b**b, try Inferno Sound or Air Attack from Men Shun, or Fireworks Internationals Thunder Devil.

All will be gone for ever by April 2008, many may well have sold out already.

Its possible to make Black Powder Air B$mbs, but the only place I have seen then s Great Northern- you would get the bang, but not the flash.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

Men Shun at 40% off is pretty good, they do some punchy stuff- a lot of it rather "samey" though. They are not as innovative with their firing style as say, Brothers or Epic, and they don't do single effect stuff as well as Fireworks International- in fact they don't really do single effect stuff at all- its all a mixture of effects.

As for a replacement for Proton b**b, try Inferno Sound or Air Attack from Men Shun, or Fireworks Internationals Thunder Devil.

Its possible to make Black Powder Air B$mbs, but the only place I have seen then s Great Northern- you would get the bang, but not the flash.

Thanks for the reply.
I just want something loud. I normally like to start my display off with a loud one. No matter how cold it is, I just get that buzz all over(warms the cockles, as they say).
It's gonna be a big dissapoinment to loose the loud reports, then on top of that the big rockets. When are they going to stop.
Any way, as I was saying I just want to get something loud. I've been on to Epic's web site and looked at the Triple H B$mb. Looks Ok. Dont think that the video really shows how loud it actually is. For £16 though I could get 2 Darkness invaders. The small Lethal Tank barrage was supposed to have been a good one but thay've allready sold out.

#4 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I just want something loud. I normally like to start my display off with a loud one. No matter how cold it is, I just get that buzz all over(warms the cockles, as they say).
It's gonna be a big dissapoinment to loose the loud reports, then on top of that the big rockets. When are they going to stop.
Any way, as I was saying I just want to get something loud. I've been on to Epic's web site and looked at the Triple H B$mb. Looks Ok. Dont think that the video really shows how loud it actually is. For £16 though I could get 2 Darkness invaders. The small Lethal Tank barrage was supposed to have been a good one but they've allready sold out.

#5 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Same here i like the loud ones. I got the 'Omega b**b' from Epic, and they said that is pretty loud.

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

I think that if you order from Epics website you are obliged to buy by the case, rather than individual fireworks.

Triple H B mb isn't really an air b$omb, its a triple burstng firework- loud enough, but not air-b$mb loud! Likewise Darkness Invader, that sends up bangs and bursts!

#7 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

I collected mine singly when i went down.

#8 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

what did you get? and pics :) please,drool,drool

#9 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:00 PM

I just love the Proton b**b barrage, [snip] Is there anything else that is as good as, or better than, for the same sort of money.(£10).

Gigantic Crab!!! is forced to inform you of the Proton b**b also being sold under the names Seismic Bombshell and Earth Shaker (Panda).

Gigantic Crab!!! laughs in the face of Proton b**b, all the way to Kimbolton Fireworks where he shall pick up his pre-ordered case of 3" titanium salutes.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

#10 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Boobs!!!

(Gigantic Crab!!! is bemused yet slightly angered by the automated filterage.)

#11 sonic boom

sonic boom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

Men Shun at 40% off is pretty good, they do some punchy stuff- a lot of it rather "samey" though. They are not as innovative with their firing style as say, Brothers or Epic, and they don't do single effect stuff as well as Fireworks International- in fact they don't really do single effect stuff at all- its all a mixture of effects.

so to be dim but why will they be gone for ever after april 2008?

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

so to be dim but why will they be gone for ever after april 2008?

New Regulations will effectivly remove flashpowder fireworks from general sale.

Edited by David, 24 October 2007 - 08:27 PM.

#13 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

The thing is that there's very few firework shops or suppliers arround where I live. Epic is 210 miles and a 4 1/2 hr drive, but they did say they'd make me a good breakfast if i got there early enough,(lol). They are doing Men Shuns End of the world cake for £15 + vat, and another one, cant remember the name, a similar cake for the same money, and obviously if you collect, you can buy singles rather than the whole box. Proton B%mbs are something like £4 each, so all fantastic prices if you live close enough to collect. Perhaps I should just ask the wife if we can move :rolleyes: .
Just found out there's somebody selling TNT stuff. I remember picking up a small selection box of theirs a few years ago, 'bad Boy' was the name. Some nice pieces in there and mostly aerial. Do they do any nice single pieces which would compliment what i've already got ?

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:13 AM

TNT is not a brand I'm fond of - it tends to be very over priced, and the fireworks are made to be a lot bigger than they need to be- IE space between tubes. There ARE some good pieces, but really unless you buy at a good discount, then it isn't worth it.

There is an Epic store in Cardiff, I think.

#15 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

There is an Epic store in Cardiff, I think.

David, by looking at the back of the sales catalogue you would think so, but unfortunately not. The telephone number is even a Cardiff number ( say's he, as he remembers rubbing his hands, smiling and drooling over all those cheap fireworks he was going to buy), but not the case, the telephone number transfers you to their head office in Yorkshire, where a very nice lady told me that no, it was only a sales number, and that fireworks could only be purchased and picked up from their head office. :(
I got on the route finder to find out it's a 208 ml. trip and about 41/2 hrs. not forgetting about 10 gallons of juice.

Perhaps ready for next year I should offer to open a shop for them a bit further down south of the country, and of course I would have to try all the merchandise to make sure there were no duds in there. ooohhh.... I'm gonna write a letter straight away....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users