22 replies to this topic

#1 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:21 AM

I just remembered about these awesome crackers I once got a hold of, they had no external fuses but instead had a dollop of red putty which when struck against a match box would ignite (I assume some sort of friction sensitive compound). Anyway they were completely waterproof and were filled with flash so they packed quite a punch.

Posted Image

Anyone know how they work? Would be nice to make something similar and use for ignitors to various things (thermite, flares, smoke)

Edited by marble, 05 November 2007 - 09:24 AM.

#2 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

They sell a lot of these bangers in Italy. :)

Usually they are done this way:
Posted Image

The paste is a (i guess) potassium chlorate\red phosporus mix.
They clay is drilled and some visco is passed through to act as a delay.

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

The ignition as a simple friction compound look in the literature and you will find several I expect that there should be a striker or rubbing cap with the devices pictured.

The phrase "filled with flash" fills me with fear.

You need to be totally accurate in the friction and timing compounds before you hand ignite flash.

Friction compounds are two part - just like a matchbox. they have some uses now though they may be superceded by match or electric ignition. In really wild country friction compounds are favoured because they are self contained.

See the devices you showed in three parts, the friction compound (A + B), the timing compound, and the flash charge.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of using 1/4" tubes with a hot composition for igniting thermite or smoke

red p will be a problem, thank the bloody meth labs for that :(

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

No legit material is a problem to a legit pyro lab! It's getting accredited by peers and professionals and regulators that is hard. BUT then suppliers will seek you out to offer you things.

Be wise, be careful, read the literature (buy the books ( try abe books and online locator for secondhand books)).

Stay green and keep legal.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

As eager as I am to start playing with death mixes if I need red p this one will be staying on the table, im fairly sure its heavily restricted here.

There are a few interesting ones that don't require red p

http://come.to/PFP

Ill have another flick through AFN as they go over it a few times

Edited by marble, 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM.

#7 alex000

alex000

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

As eager as I am to start playing with death mixes if I need red p this one will be staying on the table, im fairly sure its heavily restricted here.

There are a few interesting ones that don't require red p

http://come.to/PFP

Ill have another flick through AFN as they go over it a few times

I have got a few hunderd of these one type has a crackle mix which ignites right after the top red mix has been lit, then the flash goes off. The other type I have has a delay mix wich I find too slow as most of the time it goes out so I have to stick a peice of visco in insted.

#8 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

hi i dont like the diagram -_unless its for none surgical finger removal .The timing delay with that short piece of visco is very small if you want a really good banging firework use bp and make a few jumping jacks- plenty of info available or look up triangular crackers for a quick paper and masking tape banger If you must use flash powder i would rather pm you with a mix using potassium nitrate sulphur and aluminium i use it to burst small rocket headers its a lot less shock sensitive . dont consider red phosphorus there are plenty of other 2 part friction igniters and a lot more enjoyment and challenge than bangers 20 + years ago i made some dangerous ones and had unexpected near miss accident
protodezine@gmail.com

#9 SwissTony

SwissTony

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

I got a load of these match strike ones from somewhere.
The larger ones (1/4 inch) had a very good 5 seconds+ fuse on them.
I had some others called mini cicciolo which must have had maybe 1/8th ID and about 3 seconds fuse.
The small ones were impressively loud for what they were.
I used to carry loads of these match strike crackers round with me when I marshalled at a paintball site. The strike plate for the smoke grenades we used lit these crackers as well, which was useful.
Ripping for The Disciples
"Are those my balls on your face?"

#10 overflow

overflow

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

hi i dont like the diagram -_unless its for none surgical finger removal .The timing delay with that short piece of visco is very small if you want a really good banging firework use bp and make a few jumping jacks- plenty of info available or look up triangular crackers for a quick paper and masking tape banger If you must use flash powder i would rather pm you with a mix using potassium nitrate sulphur and aluminium i use it to burst small rocket headers its a lot less shock sensitive . dont consider red phosphorus there are plenty of other 2 part friction igniters and a lot more enjoyment and challenge than bangers 20 + years ago i made some dangerous ones and had unexpected near miss accident

It's not my proposal, it's simply how they are actually made. (i know for sure ;))

I had some others called mini cicciolo which must have had maybe 1/8th ID and about 3 seconds fuse.

Ah, the mini cicciolo, i nearly blew up a finger by slicing it in half and using it as a sparkler while keeping it in my hand... for some reason (probably i had cut at the delay composition, which confined the inner powder) it exploded and i had a HUGE bubble of blood on my thumb and index for many days. This of course was MANY years ago, when i was still a young boy, attracted by fire, in all it's forms. :)

Edited by overflow, 05 November 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#11 SwissTony

SwissTony

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

Ah, the mini cicciolo, i nearly blew up a finger by slicing it in half and using it as a sparkler while keeping it in my hand... for some reason (probably i had cut at the delay composition, which confined the inner powder) it exploded and i had a HUGE bubble of blood on my thumb and index for many days. This of course was MANY years ago, when i was still a young boy, attracted by fire, in all it's forms. :)

I know they may not be the most powerful or the most spectacular, but the mini cicciolo are probably my favourite out of all the crackers I have used.

Just been poking round my shed and found a load of strike top crackers that I thought I had used up, including, Mefisto Manna, Ercole and some Raudo Manna to.
The little ones seem to make a lot better noise than the larger ones.
Ripping for The Disciples
"Are those my balls on your face?"

#12 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

I used some of these in greece. They are about 1" long and have around 5s of fuse in them. Rather than being filled with flash I guess there would be a tiny amount. The delay is non sparking, and just lets off smoke. They are more than happy to continue underwater after the delay has started, and will either sink and make a dull thud and a great flash at night or float and make an effect similar to that of a bullet hitting the water (think saving private ryan etc)

Edited by Asteroid, 06 November 2007 - 05:15 PM.

#13 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

You could always just dissolve the powder off of safety matches if this whole idea tickles your fancy. I did this for home made sparklers once.

#14 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

what did you dissolve them in? :)

#15 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

Match-crackers... brings back old memories for me.
They were banned in Holland in the early 1970's I think, but are still sold in Belgium.
Must have lit hundreds of those when I was younger.
The smaller one's were called ''pirate'' and shipped in boxes of 100 pcs. each, they were filled with a amount of flash and had a delay time of 7 seconds.
No internal visco fuse was used, they were filled with a delay powder called ''gluesatz'' which burns very consistent and slow.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users