3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

I'm looking to get some lead milling balls made up to sell on Inoxia. Currently we have 20mm and 40mm ceramic balls and I wanted to try and cover a different area of milling with these new lead balls. I have the options of 17mm, 21mm, 24mm or 26mm. I'm thinking 17mm would be best as it will be a better choice for smaller mills, where the higher density of lead will be advantage over ceramic, also the higher price / volume of lead is less of a problem on smaller mills.

Does anyone have any opinions on weather this is a good idea or any reasoning as to why a larger size would be a better idea?
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#2 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

I'm looking to get some lead milling balls made up to sell on Inoxia. Currently we have 20mm and 40mm ceramic balls and I wanted to try and cover a different area of milling with these new lead balls. I have the options of 17mm, 21mm, 24mm or 26mm. I'm thinking 17mm would be best as it will be a better choice for smaller mills, where the higher density of lead will be advantage over ceramic, also the higher price / volume of lead is less of a problem on smaller mills.

Does anyone have any opinions on weather this is a good idea or any reasoning as to why a larger size would be a better idea?

Between 13-17mm would be ideal for most sized jars. The 20mm ceramic are already way too large to have an optimal milling effect with the rock tumbler sized operations most fellas here have.

Edited by FrankRizzo, 10 November 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#3 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

I think 12mm would be a good size Steve LOL

They will do the job well in a larger mill but still be useable for a smaller unit.

:rolleyes:

#4 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

I use 30g, which are around 17mm, lead balls in my ball mill with steve's 1.3l jars and it's incredibly efficient. With the smaller 10 and 12mm balls i've used in the past, there would always be some bits of unground charcoal particles in the finished powder. No problem with the heavier balls, everything gets crushed to dust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users