7 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:54 AM

My eternal problem is that I have no space in which to let off fireworks. As such, if anyone reading this is having a party or private function, I was wondering- do you want me to do some fireworks for you?

I'm not a professional, or a display company but I'm happy to bring some fireworks along to spice up a celebration.

You do need to have appropriate space, and the party( obviously) does need to be suitable for fireworks.

Edited by David, 31 December 2007 - 09:19 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

I suggest that you hunt for a one day special events insurance cover. You are getting into grey areas and dodgy territory if you don't have cover and it could cost you a lot of money if a stray rocket took out a barn or house.

I know it all sounds boring but I really would investigate that before doing anything.

Cornhill used to do it years ago but don't seem to any longer. I have found this bunch though.

http://www.events-in...hp?service_id=7
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

and from their FAQ

"Q: Our fireworks were imported. Is this OK?
A: No. The fireworks must be manufactured within the UK and must conform to BS7114"

Even if I buy from Kimbolton some of their stuff is made abroad, even parts are made abroad! DB igniters are made in France. I doubt anyone could plan a show based on the "made in England" rule.

From Sandling's www
Insurance has proved to be difficult and expensive to obtain over recent years. Now Sandling Fireworks are able to offer insurance cover for your firework display at very reasonable costs. In order to take advantage of this offer those actually firing your display MUST have attended our training day within the last three years. For more information on how this scheme works please telephone our office on 01452 855915.

You have to do their course, then for each display you have to submit plans method statements and risk analysis etc, then you have to buy ALL the show fireworks from them. The easy bits are that it costs 10% on top of the fireworks and just pay for it and be insured.

The only other way I've found is full pro insurance cat3 limited or cat4. Available from Terribles or Roy Musk insurancexperts. Other than these direct insurance through Lloyds may be possible but not in our price bracket.

Strangely Fireworks are insurable at a cost but bonfires so far I've found impossible to insure at any price.

Edited by Arthur Brown, 30 December 2007 - 01:53 PM.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

Regarding insurance, I did get advice on this, and the gyst of it was that if it was a private party and I was a guest at that party, then insurance wasn't required ( no more than it is for any private fireworks ) , but if it was a public event then Public Liability Insurance would be essential. Also it would be different if I was getting paid .

You might be over-estimating the size and scale of the fireworks I'm using. :) I've editted the original bit .

I'm talking about doing a small scale display as part of someones party, could even just be cat 2 stuff. To put it differently- , what I'm saying is that if anyone is having a party and would like to invite me I am happy to bring some fireworks along.

Sandlings does sound like a good suggestion , however the problem here ( for me at least ) is that I buy my fireworks from lots of different places - which is a lot of the fun for me. I also get good discounts. Restricting myself just to one brand would take away a lot of the fun, to be honest.

Edited by David, 30 December 2007 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

Your advice received may be suspect! As an adult you are responsible for your actions, though you do not NEED insurance you could still be sued if you were to cause hurt or suffering. As a visitor with fireworks "friendship would soon evaporate if there were to be an injury, and you would be left at risk.

The major down on insuring bonfires started when someone had a bonfire for some village social event and there was a flying ember that set fire to a thatched roof house gutting it totally. I couldn't afford that!

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

As an adult you are responsible for your actions, though you do not NEED insurance you could still be sued if you were to cause hurt or suffering.

Thats true, but that applies to every time I (or anyone) lights fireworks, I suppose.

That said, I do understand what you are saying- I guess the best advice is " If in doubt, don't . "

Edited by David, 30 December 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

I have contacted this company about their British made only rule and politely pointed out that virtually no consumer fireworks will be British. I await their reply.

Edited by Mortartube, 30 December 2007 - 03:51 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

the british made rule makes the insurance useless as NO manufacturer is going to give warranty that ALL of the components of all of even a small range of their produce is British made, -- electric igniters and cat3 timing fuse and QM leaders, and warrant that this will never change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users