4 replies to this topic

#1 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

We are all familiar with the old fashioned labels from the 1950's onwards, the styles didn't seem to change much until the 1980's when, in my opinion, they became awful.

What does intrigue me is this - what were the earliest DECORATIVE labels like, I have seen very old labels from the 1800's which were functional and in a style you might expect, but when did they start giving domestic fireworks the names we came to know and love and what did those earliest labels look like and, when did this all begin?

The reason I am curious is that the history seems to start with the 1950's but there is nothing (that I have seen) before that or, between that and the one or two functional designs I refer to. Is there a missing link? or am I just not as informed as the rest of you guys.

#2 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi Spectrum

I have a few old fireworks which I am pretty sure are from the 1930s. You can generally tell by the very low price for the size of firework. None were produced during the 1939-45 period, because of the War and the firework companies' contributions to the War effort. I guess there was probably quite a shortage directly after this period, although to the best of my knowledge many companies, such as Astra, Benwell, Comet, Rainbow, Wallop and Wessex commenced retail firework production in the second half of the 40s.

Here are a few pictures of 1930's fireworks. As you will see, similar designs carried on for many years and some were still around in the 1970s and possibly later.

Standard Daisy Fountain - 1d
Standard Fairy Fountain - 1d
Standard Jewel Fountain - 1d
Standard Snow Storm - 1d
Pain's Roman Candle with Brilliant Stars - 1 1/2d

This one is also interesting, because of its unusual design, the fact it is made of wood and the inscription on the case, dating it to 1945. It could well have been produced before the War, but I am unsure. If anyone knows anything about it, I would be grateful to hear from them. I think it is either Pain's or Standard. It has a hole through the centre, which has been scorched throughout.

Milk Jar Fountain - 2d

Many earlier fireworks simply had coloured wrappers with a label stuck on to them, like those below.

Wells' Labels - Various

Here also are a few old adverts dating from the 1900s and 1920s.

Pain's Advert - 1903
Brock's Advert - 1927
Standard Advert - 1927

Hope this helps.

#3 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for that.

#4 richy59driver

richy59driver

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for that.

how old is a standard "snowdrop"
i have one of these in my collection :rolleyes:

#5 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

We are all familiar with the old fashioned labels from the 1950's onwards, the styles didn't seem to change much until the 1980's when, in my opinion, they became awful.

What does intrigue me is this - what were the earliest DECORATIVE labels like, I have seen very old labels from the 1800's which were functional and in a style you might expect, but when did they start giving domestic fireworks the names we came to know and love and what did those earliest labels look like and, when did this all begin?

The reason I am curious is that the history seems to start with the 1950's but there is nothing (that I have seen) before that or, between that and the one or two functional designs I refer to. Is there a missing link? or am I just not as informed as the rest of you guys.

Spectrum,

Ive not read it myself, but there is a book called "Firework Art" by Mark Fleming on the subject, which might answer some of the questions you bring to the table.

From my own point of view and experience of when I worked in the print industry (mid 70`s to late 80`s/ - Curwen press and other establishments), my guess is,..... much of the earlier firework label designs (pre 50`s) probably would have been done in house by workers or owners at the factory,.... to save costs on hiring an illustrator, this would have been made on wooden block engravings (etched) with metal face type, and printed on coloured paper via a hand feed platen type printing press (letterpress) in one, two, or three colour spot printing at most.

This was done for cost effectiveness, (in that fireworks were and are regarded as a throwaway disposable product), and also because photo quality 4 colour lithographic printing was too expensive or non existant to produce in a commercial sense for firework lable use.

The periods between WW1 and WW2 in the retail domestic firework sector is sketchy, with people having very little disposable incomes (hence the lack of designs availble for that period in history), but there is no reason to suggest that they were not as good or even better than the 1950`s to 1980`s.

Names for fireworks? Im not sure!,.......I think the expression of language has always been there!,..........It could be that many names like `KaBoom` etc came from the `comic` culture, or whatever inspired a particular period of history, or for example the `jack in the box` was this firework not named after the kids toy (which has origins going back to the 13th centuary?

I think that much of the pre & post victorian/edwardian era of the fireworks trade was I guess by public displays ("Brock`s Benefits") along with other great british companies around at the time,........ what you have remember is that around 90 percent of the british public could not read or write during this period of history, so fancy names were less important in the naming of fireworks on the design of labels sold for domestic use.

If I get a chance, I will try to do some research into this, but it might be worth asking `Phildunford` on this (he I believe has the mark fleming book).

To me the classic old pre 1980`s labels were the best in colour/design and illustration (I just love the classic but simple and effective `Pains` logo or was it `wessex`? (guy fawkes).

hope this helps!

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 29 November 2008 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users