115 replies to this topic

#16 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 11:16 AM

We may not be qualified as they see it but I have though about how I would make this country better and I think it would work. There would be some big chages and I could mention them but it would take hours-literaly. The trouble with Tony Blaire is he wants to be everyones friend...especially Bush head. But back to the topic. Want a fireball? Fill a balloon with lighter gas, step back a good 20-25 feet and touch with a lit stick. There, instant fireball.

Stuart

#17 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:20 PM

Want a nice effect, fill a series of baloons and tie to a long vertical fire rope. Light from the top and they go off one at a time, light at the bottom....

just stand well back!

#18 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:01 PM

I wonder if you could initiate the effect using an e-match (possibly with added priming), instead of a fire rope. I bet you could achieve a nifty chaser sequence with the appropriate firing system (a nail board or rotary switch based).

#19 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 09:19 PM

Yeah. Stick a fuse in the end and then fill with gas. Then tie some wire onto it, pass a current through and there you go.

Stuart

#20 Robbie414

Robbie414

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:35 PM

I'm seeing hydrogen filled balloons, tethered to the ground but allowed to 'float' at various heights...in the dark you would not be able to see them...but with the help of a few e-match's = cool effect..seemingly spontaneous fireballls in the sky!......and if you have any nitrous oxide..no lets not go there!

#21 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:16 PM

Best effect i did in this area was to tie 10" propane balloons below 18" helium balloons (not having any hydrogen at the time), the pairs were tied at intervals along a horizintal rope with paraffin soaked strings....

the rope burns along, the string burns through, the balloons lift and at a certain height they explode. I would love to try this with fuse, or even better use black hydrogen balloons and explode them with a laser...

I'm getting carried away now

Incidentally I tried it recently at a show with mag ribbon for string. In tests the flame shot up the string, burst a couple of propane balloons on the way and released 20 white balloons into the air to float away carrying little sparks. In the show the ribbon would not catch, eventually a tiny flame crawled 3/4 of the way up and then went out before releasing the balloons. Biggest flop I have had in ages. Why did the mag burn so badly? I don't think it was damp, but I thought it burned better if it was?

#22 smpip

smpip

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 09:04 AM

[quote=Richard H,Aug 13 2003, 10:51 AM] [/QUOTE]
The walls have ears :P

Makes a change from sausages.
[/quote]
:D

#23 kamikazi_watermelon

kamikazi_watermelon

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:53 PM

http://www.geocities..._fireballs.html
check this page out it tell's you how to make the fireball's that are use in movies :).

#24 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:18 PM

Err, not exactly. If I did it that way I would'nt be in the job for very long!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#25 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:34 PM

"Hear, hear" is heard as a low mumble from the back row.

I certainly will advise fellow work colleagues to refrain from smoking whilst adding a few spoonfuls of 'coffee mate' to their early morning brew.

Umm...errr...can't see this 'fire ball' working.

:unsure:

Edited by Rhodri, 08 October 2003 - 08:30 AM.

Making light, sound and good conversation.

#26 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:59 PM

Any fine flammable powder burns, the finer the faster, Powdered coal in collieries is more dangerous than gas. In an old Billy Cotton Band Show (BBC b+w days) they tried to make a white cloud by adding some flour to a stage maroon. The resulting dust explosion destroyed the piano frame and killed the pianist
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#27 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:15 PM

A 'fire' at a pepper or flower mill was considered a higher risk than 'standard' fire.

If anyone has ever punched a hole in the end of a tin can, fitted a rubber tube, loaded the tin with a fews g's of flour and a lit candle then replaced the lid and blown into the tube will have realised that a spontaneous combustion of dust is quite extraordinary!

ADMINS: The above was demonstrated to me as a school boy and in no way do I condone or suggest that ANYONE try this.

Please don't ban me - I like this place.

:unsure:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#28 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:03 PM

Standard way of making stage fireballs used to be to blow lycopodium (fine pollen powder) across a spirit flame - result very respectable fire ball - health and safety would have a fit these days!

I've made the standard 'coffee mate' fire ball (2 table spoons of powder over 2 teaspoons of BP in a wide tube - light at the bottom with quick match). It's quite effective, but don't know if it would scale up... Main problem is it smells horrible! 'he who hath smelt the creamer fireball' would probably give up pyro straight away! (new pryo saying...)
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#29 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:18 PM

I've attempted to make a napthalene/bp fireball, but given up after several failed attempts. My favorite fireball is a hydrogen filled baloon with a generous piece of slowmatch on the side, and releast out to sea with a favorible wind...

#30 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:42 PM

the best fireball iv made is with petrol in a 3inc hwiode tube with 10grams of BP on the bottom to propel the fuel up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users