115 replies to this topic

#76 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

Alu / Nap ratio: 1 : 9

This isnt your secret mixture is it? After viewing your fireball all I can say is" NOW THATS A FIREBALL!"

Also I used to get nap from mothballs, but they stopped making them out of nap. now they use " paradichlorobenzene" they say this is highly flamable, for all I know its the same stuff and I just dont know it? maby you can tell me?
Also when I was 10 many years ago I knew a member of the band for Prince "or what ever he calls him self now" and I saw a rodie light some artifical coffee creamer on fire as he dumped it into the air WHOOO COOl I thought as I obtained someones lighter off a refreshment table and snatched several packs of creamer
and ran over to Steve my friend to show him my new found trick,
Anyways I throu the powdercreamer into the air lit the lighter and WHOOOMPP ball of fire!
I almost scourched Princes jerrycurl!! lol Security rushed me off the rehursal stage back to my mother who was so pissed, Screaming where did you get that lighter and how did you do that! I watched and learned mom! So always set a good example when playing w/ fireballs is the moral of the story and dont leave matches and lighters in the hands of youth's!
[COLOR=purple][SIZE=1][FONT=Impact][B]
I love it! I can buy a pack of smokes which will hurt me for sure! Yet theres a 1000 laws in place to protect me from myself . I guess its ok to harm your self if its slow and will help the economy.

#77 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

oopps.,,, jerrycurls are flamable too! I think michal jackson singged his fro on a flash pot a couple years after my prince fireball.java script:emoticon(':P')

Edited by burningbush, 06 November 2004 - 05:16 PM.

I love it! I can buy a pack of smokes which will hurt me for sure! Yet theres a 1000 laws in place to protect me from myself . I guess its ok to harm your self if its slow and will help the economy.

#78 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:58 PM

Er...
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#79 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:59 AM

Uh, very interesting and very, uh, energetic post there Burningbush. One question about the tube size for fireballs; if it was longer, would the fireball shoot out farther before expanding to full size? Or would that be the case with a shorter tube? If I'm wrong with both hypothesises, how would I go about project the fire out more, rather than clouding almost all around the mortor tube. I always just thought it cooler when the fire was projected.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#80 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:57 AM

Also I used to get nap from mothballs, but they stopped making them out of nap. now they use  " paradichlorobenzene" they say this is highly flamable, for all I know its the same stuff and I just dont know it? maby you can tell me?

They are two different compounds based on benzene. Naphthalene is two benzene rings joined together where as paradichloro benzene is a benzene ring with two chlorine molecules either side. I don?t know if PDCB would be a good substitute for naphthalene, its meant to be soft unlike naphthalene.

http://www.goodwill-india.com/str3.gif - paradichloro benzene

http://www.uspto.gov...5/c585s24-2.gif - benzene

#81 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:31 PM

If the tube is longer, the fireball will be 'taller' but 'thinner' and the opposite if the tube were shorter.

#82 burningbush

burningbush

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

They are two different compounds based on benzene. Naphthalene is two benzene rings joined together where as paradichloro benzene is a benzene ring with two chlorine molecules either side. I don’t know if PDCB would be a good substitute for naphthalene, its meant to be soft unlike naphthalene.

http://www.goodwill-india.com/str3.gif - paradichloro benzene

http://www.uspto.gov...5/c585s24-2.gif - benzene

Thanks Stuart!
Thats what I needed! I will test"PDCB" soon and post the results .
P.c
http://www.ukrocketr...cons/icon10.gif

#83 jellywerker

jellywerker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

Does anyone know how large the fireballs from the tutorial on xinventions would be, I am trying to find a good way to make smaller fireballs, anywhere from say 15in. to 3ft. would the best way be to just vary the amount of gasoline?

#84 warrenizer88

warrenizer88

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:59 PM

i dont think gasoline would be a good fuel for a small fireball, its more for the big scale stuff.

warren

#85 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:04 AM

it is not really the amount of petrol :blink: (good ol' british word :P) you use that makes the difference because it is the fumes that burn not the actual petrol.
So what i suggest you do is get a small plastic bag and put it over the cap of your petrol can and leave it for a while so the vapours can get in!
Then take it off and make sure no gasses can get ut then just put a small (i mean like a cap full!) amont of petrol inside the bag and seal and then do as normal with a petrol fireball.
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#86 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:06 AM

a capful of liquid petrol is a lot of petrol vapour, so filling the bag with vapour first would be pointless. Petrol will vapourise fairly easily when propelled by a 2000*C flame, so you don't need to put any in there in readiness.

However, to start with I'd suggest napthalene or "Cremora." As solids, both much safer and easier to handle, and have been discussed before.

#87 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:11 PM

Petrol is not the only flamable liquid that can be used for fireballs. Smaller, but safer fireballs can be made with meths, turpentine and kerosine. Just fiil a plastic bag, or balloon with either one or a mixture of these liquids, tie the end and place over a small BP ground salute. make sure that you light it in a safe place, such as a large area of bare dirt as it can can set things within a few metres on fire, including you. So have a long fuse and make sure everyone stays well back.

I heard that tualine can be used to make good fireballs. Is this true? Is Tualine a dangorous compound and to be avoided?

Dont wary, Im in no rush to make any fireballs, with tualine or anything else.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#88 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:35 PM

I do hope you do not mean toluene!

http://physchem.ox.a...TO/toluene.html

#89 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

Well tolulene is flammable. But dont use it!

I have found that paraffin gives a 'darker' more 'purple' flame. Can be used to a good effect.

#90 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:05 AM

I think I do mean toluene, but Im not going to use it. Especialy not now that you have told me not to. Don't wary, I never had any intention of using it, just someone told me it would work so I posted It. Just out of curiosity.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users