• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:19 AM

An American advert - For $2.50 you got ( it's in the yellow box):

100 2” cannon salutes
200 flashlight crackers
25 flash salutes…

Well, I could go on- safe to say a lot of fireworks! Mostly bangers, little rockets etc and a wheel, a cone and a flare.

How times change! Back then a car was $700, toothpaste 25cents, chewing gum 5cents, a shirt about $1.

Note the picture of two lads “having fun” throwing them at each other.

Also, shocking as it seems nowadays, they saw nothing wrong with selling a type of firework known as “Nigg*rchasers” it’s the 8th one down, first row. The picture is from a book about adverts- the amount of implied, or even open, racism at that time is really striking.

This was 1937.

Posted Image

Edited by David, 05 February 2008 - 11:00 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

$2.50? How can I argue with that?!

#3 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

[...]

Also, shocking as it seems nowadays, they saw nothing wrong with selling a type of firework known as “Nigg*rchasers” it’s the 8th one down, first row. The picture is from a book about adverts- the amount of implied, or even open, racism at that time is really striking.

This was 1937.

I don´t know exactly atm (I have to look it up) but I think even Weingart (who wrote his book years after
1937 used that expression!

No excuse for that, anyway!

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#4 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

Just had a look in Weingarts book, they seem to be a kind of stickless rocket, with a crimped nozzle rather than a clay choke. I think the book was published around 1930s, then revised and renamed several times, so that could explain it.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

The devices are just 'serpents' as used in 'mines of serpents'. Short tubes filled with a sharp composition.

They used to be sold to throw on the floor and chase people around - much like jumping jacks. Both are considered too dangerous to be used now, although I can't imagine they ever did much harm.

I don't think we should be too hard on Mr Weingart. He was a man of his time using language of his time. We cannot judge him by modern standards. There is no evidence that I know of that he was in any way racist. This was the common name of the device.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

Yeah. It was much of the same case with Walt Disney. A lot of famous people were slaves to the mentality around themselves and never questioned it.

#7 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:20 AM

A websearch shows that N----- Chasers is a reasonably well known term- some sites make reference to it in a modern context, such as "Urban dictionary." Some sources have it as simply the American term for our jumping jacks. Some blogs etc talk about making them by simply removing the stick off a bottle rocket

It is arguable that the term actually originated with baseball- a type of baseball throw that was somewhat unpredicatable, that came to be associated with dark skinned players. As in " The Pitcher threw a N----- Chaser." The firework, with its unpredicatable pattern, then took it name from that style of throw.

The earliest reference to the term I can find is from 1871, from Ohio, upon the opening of a Rail link to the town of Medina -

1871, Ohio
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#8 Guest_pyromagician_*

Guest_pyromagician_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

nowadays you cant even get a gallon of gas in alabama for 2.50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users